Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
ccacher1

LJ bait difficulties

I've been reading that quite a few people, including myself, have been having a hard time making bait in La Jolla lately. A week ago I worked along the kelp line all the way out and back and didn't manage to snag any bait with my sabiki even those I saw stuff on the surface as well as on my fish finder. My question is... are most people putting cuts of squid on their sabiki or is there another strategy that is working for people?

I was dropping my sabiki all the way down and jigging it up slowly, through what appeared to be bait on my fish finder, but no luck last week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and tight lines.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
Cbad Mike

Bait has been real hard for me too. I find nothing so frustrating as spending (wasting) a ton of time trying to get them to bite.

I like most of the guys I know are tipping their sabikis.
We are using small strips of squid or cuts of Mackerel.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Bait has been real hard for me too. I find nothing so frustrating as spending (wasting) a ton of time trying to get them to bite.

I like most of the guys I know are tipping their sabikis.
We are using small strips of squid or cuts of Mackerel.

Good luck.
Okay, thanks for the pointer. I'm probably going to give it another shot Saturday morning. Hopefully tipping the sabiki works for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Harry Hill

would tipping them with shrimp work?
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
PescadorPete

Bag O' Tricks

Lots of smelt lately which is likely what you are seeing. Macs have been holding deep. Here is my bait kit which always travels with me. I've only been skunked once this season with the bait.

Small SS tea ball (chum bucket) that snaps on by the sinker. Stuff it with canned sardines (or cat food) for chum. Dried squid (Ranch 99) to sweeten the hooks. Procure or Uni Goop to supercharge the dried squid.

Macs are cannibals so you may want to sacrifice pieces of the 1st one you catch to sweeten the hooks.

Multiple sabikis (fish skin, tinsel, squid tubes), 'cuz you never know what they want.

And the best chance is to be ON THE BAIT GROUNDS before grey light. I have always had the best luck catching bait at O'dark:30.

And if you can't catch bait, don't fret. Carry some jigs (Rapalas, Flat Falls, etc). No need to deep six a trip because you can't find the live stuff.

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
ccacher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Lots of smelt lately which is likely what you are seeing. Macs have been holding deep. Here is my bait kit which always travels with me. I've only been skunked once this season with the bait.

Small SS tea ball (chum bucket) that snaps on by the sinker. Stuff it with canned sardines (or cat food) for chum. Dried squid (Ranch 99) to sweeten the hooks. Procure or Uni Goop to supercharge the dried squid.

Macs are cannibals so you may want to sacrifice pieces of the 1st one you catch to sweeten the hooks.

Multiple sabikis (fish skin, tinsel, squid tubes), 'cuz you never know what they want.

And the best chance is to be ON THE BAIT GROUNDS before grey light. I have always had the best luck catching bait at O'dark:30.

And if you can't catch bait, don't fret. Carry some jigs (Rapalas, Flat Falls, etc). No need to deep six a trip because you can't find the live stuff.

This was very helpful. Thanks for the insight.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
ctfphoto

Never have a problem making bait

I use a bait cage with anchovies or sardines as well as tipping the sabiki hooks with anchovies or sardines.

Sometimes I add a double dropper loop above the sabiki for cut bait.

Thing is, I can only catch greenbacks but hardly ever spanish
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
h2ofishfo

Use smaller bait this year Spanish have been the go to tuna bait smaller ones = no short bites
Old 09-01-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
jorluivil

Here's my advise, or is it advice..............anyways:

1. Launch early and expect to spend at least 1-2hours making bait...............by the way, 8am is not early.
2. Expect to peddle, pedal or paddle to multiple locations and if you're with a buddy spread out and stay in constant communication. If one of you finds the mother load make enough bait to share it, don't make enough just for yourself
3. After you've made bait don't stop making bait, if you see a bait ball make some more bait. You can expect to lose about 40-40% of your bait to the dogs, short bites, fouled hooks, etc.
4. Get yourself a Sabiki 500, they're about $20 but they're worth every cent.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote