Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Sherm

Buggin and Bassin 11/24 plastic style

I'm starting to like this buggin thing so I made a plan and met up with the wingman (Spyder) and his son Nick. We launched and paddled out on a slack tide. The plan was to bug while the tide was moving in and then fish the daybreak for some bass.

An hour after launch we finally arrived at our first spot. The tide was starting to move and the moon was incredibly bright. You didn't need your headlamps to see. It was very nice flaoting out there with the lights off and enjoying the calmness. A good stoagie helped. We pulled our first string and they were bare. Not even a crab. I had heard that the full moon was not good for bugs. Maybe this was going to prove true. Maybe my plan was full of crap

We moved to our second spot and the tide really was starting to rip. The current was very strong and made things a little more difficult. 30 minutes in we make our second pull of the night. Nick is 1st and his hoop is bare. DAMN!! Jim goes next and starts to yell Oh Ya!! when he gets his in. 6 bugs in his net and he is stoked. My 1st pull is next and it felt heavy!! I got the hoop yak side and BINGO!!! 9 bugs in this net. Nick was next and CRUD!! no bugs. Jim and I pulled our hoops and each had bugs. We dropped down again waiting for another good pull.

Next pull Nick finally got his his 1st yak bugs. Sweet. We set the hoops a few more times and ended up with a few more bugs before the sun came up. The bugs were crawling and the sea lions never did show all night. How sweet. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

We headed in fishing for bass and the like along the way. It was nice to ride the incoming tide. We all caught bass of assorted varieties and sizes. A few nice grade sandies in the mix. We were off the water around 8am and heading home for a nap and a good lobster dinner.

Bug count

Sherm 21 pulled up and 5 went home
Spyder 17 or so and 2 went home
Masta 5 pulled and 2 home
Attached Thumbnails
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
dorf

Nice hall.
Where did you launch?
dorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Sherm

launched out of SI and paddled for an hour to our spot. I'm on a Fish n Dive so an hour paddle is about 300 yards. A long haul but worth it.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
dorf

300 yards is nothing with my mirage drive.
See you out there.
dorf is offline   Reply With Quote