Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

11/23 LJ Hooping

Went out Friday night with the hoops, launched at 5:00pm into a slight onshore breeze and choppy water. I saw a father/son team rigging hoops on the beach but never saw them on the water after that. The bright moon made lights necessary only when measuring bugs that were close to legal. I went to a spot that gave me a legal last month and dropped a hoop there and then three more about 50yds apart. The first pull brought in 7 lobsters, 2 legals. I was stoked, this is going to be easy to get a limit. I kept moving the other hoops to the area that was producing, I wanted at least 4, dinner for my wife and kids. I pulled in probably 50 shorts for the next 2 hours and finally pulled in 2 more by 9:30pm. The wind had shifted to offshore so I had a long paddle into the wind. Dinner Saturday night was excellent, grilled on the bbq and served with butter and rice/beans/tortillas/salsa from Porkyland.

This one liked me until I ate him.

I picked up bait cages from Squidco because the Morays chewed up my nets last time. There is a small one in the cage below. Are those things good to eat?

My wife said that after I went to bed these guys started making lots of noise and when she opened the cooler in the dark they had blue light coming from their legs. Anyone ever see that? She doesn't drink...
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

NICE JOB DAVE!!!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
Outbacker

Question I'd like to try bugging in SD

Were are the best places to go hooping in San Diego? I hooped in the Oceanside Harbor years ago and did very well. These days, it's pretty had to get a legal there. How about equipment. Anybody using the Eclipse nets or the Trap-Ease pulley system?

Another thought - If the lobster are not active, what might I expect from some night fishing? Any suggestions?
Outbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
fishkiller89
Junior

Send a message via AIM to fishkiller89 Send a message via Yahoo to fishkiller89
the blue light if this stuff that the commercial lobster fishermen put on their traps to keep divers out. if the divers get caught with that stuff on their gear and their lobster, there in big trouble. as for the eels . . . . idk ?
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
dorf

My wife said that after I went to bed these guys started making lots of noise and when she opened the cooler in the dark they had blue light coming from their legs. Anyone ever see that? She doesn't drink...
[/quote]

Lobsters have the ability to create bioluminescence in there back 2 sets of legs. In a couple of studies I have read the bioluminescence becomes more prevalent when the lobster is excited. Either sexually or aggressively. So they were either VERY Excited to see your wife or they were upset about being in an ice chest. Being as Lobsters are cold blooded the way to handle this state of arousal is similar to how humans treat it. You or I would take a cold shower Lobsters need a hot bath followed by a dip in butter. Nice hall enjoy.
dorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbacker View Post
Were are the best places to go hooping in San Diego? I hooped in the Oceanside Harbor years ago and did very well. These days, it's pretty had to get a legal there. How about equipment. Anybody using the Eclipse nets or the Trap-Ease pulley system?

Another thought - If the lobster are not active, what might I expect from some night fishing? Any suggestions?
I wish I had the eclipse nets, I have the old style promars but they work fine. I wouldn't want the pulley system, seems like it would get in the way and I drop my nets 10' to 30' usually, very easy to pull up by hand. I read a recent report that said they are crawling deep at 100'+ this week, too deep for me on a kayak. I'm a newbie hooper but I know of O'side Harbor, La Jolla, MB Jetty, Shelter Island, and Point Loma. La Jolla can be tough because of the swell/chop and dark surf landing.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #7
herbo

great report Dave!!!! nice little marine science item also herbo
herbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbacker View Post

I have not tried the Eclipse nets. I am using bait suspenders this season. Not much to report on that as the bugs have not been moving mush in SD harbor. As for what to fish for I have had success with Bass, Sand Sharks and Bat Rays (Talk about a slay ride!).

Good luck
dorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishionado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
Lobsters have the ability to create bioluminescence in there back 2 sets of legs. In a couple of studies I have read the bioluminescence becomes more prevalent when the lobster is excited. Either sexually or aggressively. So they were either VERY Excited to see your wife or they were upset about being in an ice chest. Being as Lobsters are cold blooded the way to handle this state of arousal is similar to how humans treat it. You or I would take a cold shower Lobsters need a hot bath followed by a dip in butter. Nice hall enjoy.
Thanks for the info! I couldn't find anything with a quick google search. So she's not crazy.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
Dan

4 in the bag and your family is stoked. nice Dave.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #11
BT

[quote=Outbacker;18942] How about equipment. Anybody using the Eclipse nets or the Trap-Ease pulley system?
quote]

I have two eclipse that I bring out with three flat traps. Havent had much success with either this season.

As far as the Trap-ease, I sold mine after using it once. Wasnt for me.

BT
Old 11-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
GBF

Very Very nice!!

GBF
Old 12-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #13
Yaker 1

Nice score on the bugs. I also want to try the eclipse nets.
Yaker 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
lamb

That was nice haul Dave!

I somehow just saw it.