Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

Cabrillo/north side 11/30

Andy and Andy on an exploratory, we met around 5:30 and made the easy haul from the lot to the sand. Launched to ankle slappers and light winds. Paddled around Point Fermin, staying around 50 feet at the kelp edge. We picked up spanish and put em on the bottom. Mine never got a sniff or a scrape, but Andy's yielded a couple sandies, one 3+ pounder.

We worked our way just short of Whites Point before time ran short. I was throwing plastics on my light stick while drifting bait and deadsticking squid on an iron. One big bass(?) rocked me and another managed to pop off as it made a U turn.......I did manage to bring one to the boat. Weak downhill current made it slow over all but alot of fun to fish a new spot. A half hour drive, so I will definitely be going back.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
steamroll

I love Cabrillo, the kelp and boilers underneath the sunken city is my favorite area.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
tattuna

Nice! That area is good in spring. I once caught 6 legal seabass (10-15 lbs.) from there in my tube some years back. I'm sure the bigger boys cruise in and outta there too.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
herbo

Cool report, great pics, looked like a great day on the water... H
herbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
yani

Thanks for the report Andy.
I've never seen that place.
Beautiful!!

Happy New Year. Yani

Old 01-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Brian Sanner

Pretty nice area. I fished that area so much and it can be very good on decent size calico bass. I haven't fished it last year (2007) with the tournament trail and all. Nice to be able to launch and paddle for 30 seconds and be fishing. They had this area on the 2006 trail stop and all in all It was a success. Very rare are the occasions at Cabrillo that you can launch and land in ankle slappers, usually it is anywhere from 2 to 5+ going out and coming in and they always seem to break close to shore. Definitely a location I hope to fish more this season. There are some pinnacles out in the deeper water that I'd like to find and mark on my GPS that have always yeilded nice calicos and sandys. There are some scattered rock piles off the break wall from the storms several years back that took sections of the wall out that can be good. If they have live squid at the receivers, dragging them along the breakwall, especially the middle section around the bend and mile markers can make for epic fishing. I hear stories of o.k. wsb fishing at times there but all I have managed at Cabrillo are the shortys. I have personally seen several 10+# calico bass come out of that area. Good luck in the future there and keep us posted. Thanks for the report.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote