Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
ocurtis

Mission Bay Sea Lion Report 2/23

Been skunked a few times lately so I decided to try a late launch. Hit the water at 10 pm. Had a good night with 2 keepers but that's now what I am posting here about.

Any one else notice the Sea Lion's are getting worse? I literately got chased on my kayak by 2 big lions. They were bumping my kayak, pulling on my drive fins, going below me blowing bubbles up at me. One came right at my kayak and swam right by me within touching distance barking away. They chased me away from my hoops and wouldn't let me close for almost an hour. On the water alone, 12am, it is a little freaky. I almost swore off kayaking for lobster... But then my last net came up with a big spiny and I'm back on!

But seriously, what is the solution? I hate them tying to raid my hoops but I understand that's just part of the game. However, when they come after me, its a whole different story. I am about ready to start bringing my Hawaiian sling in case the really attack me.
ocurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Baja_Traveler

wrist rocket and a handfull of marbles...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I remember reading somewhere that it's OK to tag them with a paintball marker or a slingshot.

If you use the slingshot, marbles and other "hard" things are a big no-no.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
madncrzydm

http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/publicatio...m28/harass.htm

stole this from another thread on here read this it has some good infor but ultimately they are there to stay...
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

WristRocket and Paintballs

My local Sea Lions don't like my WristRocket and jar of paintballs...I believe marbles and bearings are illegal as they can harm the sweet little brown eyed BASTARDS...Kiyo gave me some extra hard paint balls that work really good.
A shot to the back of the head or neck works wonders. The look of surprise on their face is worth dragging the slingshot around.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
My local Sea Lions don't like my WristRocket and jar of paintballs...I believe marbles and bearings are illegal as they can harm the sweet little brown eyed BASTARDS...Kiyo gave me some extra hard paint balls that work really good.
A shot to the back of the head or neck works wonders. The look of surprise on their face is worth dragging the slingshot around.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Now that's funny right there...great description... kinda like that...lol
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
ocurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
wrist rocket and a handfull of marbles...

You know I was strongly considering this option with paintballs or something... I was just worried I would do more to upset the sea lion so that he would actually attack me. what do you think?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
taggermike

Maybe slingshot and lead sinkers. No no but self defence shuldn't be limited to little bags of liquid. It has always been strange to me that saelions are treated so differently from every other large animal in our nation. Maybe because they don't eat people and rarely actually attack. Can you imagine having a bear, cougar, wolf, coyote, wolverine, even a badger charging to within feet of you or harrassing you for hours and your only legal defence is an f'n sling shot? "Get the paintballs out, that bear looks pissed". A surfing buddy of mine got taken off his board by a huge sealine and held down until he started to black out. I have been chased from the water by SLs in nor cal twice. Just plain scarey right there. I had a big bull pull that charge and roar shit on me and 4 year old daughter right in Dana harbor. Sorry for griping. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
madncrzydm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Maybe slingshot and lead sinkers. No no but self defence shuldn't be limited to little bags of liquid. It has always been strange to me that saelions are treated so differently from every other large animal in our nation. Maybe because they don't eat people and rarely actually attack. Can you imagine having a bear, cougar, wolf, coyote, wolverine, even a badger charging to within feet of you or harrassing you for hours and your only legal defence is an f'n sling shot? "Get the paintballs out, that bear looks pissed". A surfing buddy of mine got taken off his board by a huge sealine and held down until he started to black out. I have been chased from the water by SLs in nor cal twice. Just plain scarey right there. I had a big bull pull that charge and roar shit on me and 4 year old daughter right in Dana harbor. Sorry for griping. Mike
.357 ?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
ocurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
.357 ?
Well, I thought pistols were legal to carry on a boat for self defense... does my kayak fall under the broad description of boat??? haha.

Thanks, heading to get a slingshot and some paintballs! When I freeze them, I will still be legal, and they will have the effect of a marble!