Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

crabbing in Newport 7/14

I sent most of my reels in for service and all i really have left is 2 crab nets. i was thinking of heading out to CDM kelp area on Saturday and trying my luck at something else: rock crabs! look for a yellow kayak and stop by and feel free to stop by for a quick hello or a report of what i've been seeing. i'll probably be out there 6-10am.

if anyone has any tips or suggestions for general crab areas around there, feel free to shoot me a PM. this will be my first time using a hoop net in the yak and i hope that i don't flip myself over trying to yank on some full nets!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
danjor

Let us know how you do. I have wanted to go for crab but never have. Have me hoop nets sitting dry all summer and crab is soo tasty. If you do good maby i will give it a try
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
MrM

Awesome! Good luck to you. I'll be out there as well, I'll see if I can make my way over to the kelp at some point, launching from the harbor. Red/Yellow OK Trident. See you out there!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Good hunting and be sure to read page 49. hope you limit out.

(b) All crabs of the Cancer genus except Dungeness crabs, but including: yellow crabs, rock crabs, red crabs and slender crabs:
(1) Open season:
All year.
(2) Limit:
Thirty-five.
(3) Minimum size: Four inches measured by the shortest distance through the body
, from edge of shell to edge of shell at the widest part, except there is no minimum size in Fish and Game Districts 8 and 9.
(c) All crabs of the genus Cancer, including Dungeness crabs, yellow crabs, rock crabs, red crabs and slender crabs, may be brought to the surface of the water for measuring, but no

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
LexLutheran
Lurker

I too will be out the in the kelp, on a red yak. I have never gone crabbing in the pacific, so I don't know the particulars, but there is a place I know of that I have seen good sized ones milling about on the rocks. If we meet up I will take you over there. Last time my buddy Tom came we saw a big kelp crab about 2' away from our yaks. I had to talk him out of grabbing it for dinner. Has anyone heard of someone eating one of those things?
-Kevin
LexLutheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

thanks for the list of regulations and wishes. i have milled a 4.15" crab gauge just to make sure that i dont keep any undersized crabs. i'll make sure to take pictures of the trip and hopefully it will be productive. i might have my freediving equipment in the yak as well to check out the underwater scene.