Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
alfsteur

San Onofre kelp patch? launch?

Yeah yeah yeah I know there's another SanO post just down below!!! but these few weeks I made half dozen drives thru that area in day time, and almost every trip I see 1~4 boats hanging out around the kelp patch right off the Nuke power plant

I've never being there before so want to ask the BWE experts about this spot:
1. how's the fishing there?
2. what do you catch? YT? big ghost? rockfishes? (the other post mentioned a juv WSB, that's cool..)
3. where do you launch?
4. any specific spots or depths that are productive? spots to avoid?

btw, i've also heard great whites routinely seen in that area... not sure if that's a concern for anyone?
alfsteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Zed
BANNED

1 spotty
2 bass and halibut Yt in the summer. ghost if youre lucky.
3 from the beach.
4 all over. It gets deep slowly. 100' is a long ways out.

Yes you might see an adolescent white. Seen one 10'.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I talked with a guy that landed his boat as I was landing my yak last weekend. He said they fished the domes and caught a WSB and a BSB.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
GregAndrew

Generally, the smaller boats you see right in front of the domes are fishing bass. There are a couple pipes out there much like Dana Pt./Doheny except that they suck up and pump out water from the reactors. In answer to your questions:
1 Typically the fishing is tough there unless you are fishing for bass. Bait can be very difficult to find at times.

2 Bass and Halibut. Big WSB are rare and usually a long paddle when the Squid are there. Rockfish are going to be a long paddle too for deep water. Juvinile WSB are not cool, they usually gulp down there food and are gut hooked making them poorly released.

3 The surf beach at the South end of the parking. All paddle craft are required to launch at that end.

4 For bass, fish the swirling water that stretches about a mile out from the triangle buoys right in front of the boobys. For Halibut, the sand on either side of that or less than 30 feet deep in front of the beach. Surfers do real well less than a stones throw from the beach.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote