Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

Humminbird 345C...NEW for 2010

My old FF had some problems, its fixed now. But in the spur of the FF-less moment, I pulled the trigger on a Humminbird 345C.

I wasn't expecting much. I just wanted a replacement. How different can they be given the the 300 series is lower in the hierarchy vs my older 500 series 565.

I was pleasantly surprised. The 345C thing is way more capable that my older 'bird.

First, it has more wattage. The 565 had 250 watts, the 345C arrived with 300.

The 345C has less resolution 340x240 vs 640 x 320 for the 565. However, I am definite that I am seeing more detail on the screen. This is probably attributable to the fact that the 565 only has Dual beam, while the 345C has Dual Beam Plus (DBP). DBP which allows use of individual frequencies. 200khz shows mucho detail compared to running 200 and 83 khz at the same time.

Also, 'bird put in a new technology called Switchfire for 2010. It supposed to enhance the amount of stuff on the screen. It seems 'bird took out the filtering that I felt I was getting with my old 565. I can say that its much more sensitive than their old technology. You can still switch from old to new by selecting "clear" vs. "max" which is Switchfire ON Comparitively, my old 565 always ran on full sensitivity to get it to show good detail. The 345c shows more than enough detail at 11, or one click over 50% power. At that level, I am getting really nice fish arch images on the screen.

I never really thought that color was a feature that I wanted to pay for. But the color screen on the 345C helps a lot. This is especially noticeable when you select the blue background option. In black and white, weak signals where a light grey over lcd grey. In the blue color option, the weak signals are a light green while the background is a dark blue. The bait really stands out this way It also helps that the blue background option makes it look like a Lowrance HDS unit .

I have to say, I can't be happier. I feel like I got back the sensitivity that I always thought I had using Garmin

Additonal features include Freeze Frame, Split Screen between 200 and 83 khz and a quick view button to jog thru various view options.

The 345C is a winner!

/bing

peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
danny
Danny

How much was it ? do you have any pics of it on your yak ?
danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Scuba
Junior

Great review bing.

I was thinking about getting the 325 to replace my kiddie toy 200dx.

how'd you mount the Xducer?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
peguinpower
bing!

The unit was quite reasonable. Color unit prices fell about 100 bucks since I last bought an FF. The 345C came out to 250.

I used the og thru hull tx on my ride and just swapped out the control unit.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
DESTROYER

I just got the HB 385ci with Navionics. It's a sick unit! HB is really stepping their game up and coming out with some great units. They are also gearing the 300 series towards kayaks since they are owned my Johnson Outdoors which also owns Ocean Kayak. HB also has great customer service unlike some of the other electronic co.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post
units. They are also gearing the 300 series towards kayaks since they are owned my Johnson Outdoors which also owns Ocean Kayak.
Matt does that mean that they are sealing these units to eliminate the fogging of the screen that HB is known for with kayak anglers? What all are they doing to make them geared toward kayaks?

I am looking for a good color unit to put on my boat and then have an extra mount and such for on my Wilderness Systems Commander. I have always loved HB stuff on boats but have seen way too many problems for me to use them on my kayak. If they are solving these issues I would love to try this new unit out.

Last edited by Siebler; 02-27-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
DESTROYER

I'm not sure about the seal but I know that my last one never became foggy. If you have a problem with it you can send it back and they fix the problem quickly. Basically I was talking about the compact size but the strength of a high end unit.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Siebler

Matt its hard to fog up a Sonar if you dont go out and fish

I think I am going to grab one of the new units, Like I said ive always liked them on boats.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
DESTROYER

I fish more than you Pig Hunter!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Siebler

That doesnt say much though Matt.

Actually this year I am aiming to fish at least 1 time a week. Shooting for more like 2-3 times a week. More Freshwater bass than anything though.