Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Great news regarding fishing license.

California State Senate Unanimously Passes Fishing License Reform Bill
Last night, the California State Senate unanimously passed Senate Bill 187, authored by Senator Tom Berryhill, state legislation that will transition California’s calendar-based fishing license to one that is valid a full 12-months from the date of purchase. This is great news, for in 2015 similar legislation failed to reach the Senate floor.

“This bill would not only improve access to recreational fishing, it will protect California jobs dependent on outdoor tourism,” said Senator Tom Berryhill, author of SB 187. “Labor unions, state and local chambers of commerce, anglers, tourism groups and everyday Californians recognize that California’s antiquated fishing licensing program has proven to be a barrier to participation.”

Based on the success of other states, the bill sponsored by the California Sportfishing League (CSL) aims to address California’s costly and failing fishing license program by increasing fishing participation rates and license sales.

California’s costly and antiquated fishing license program is a contributing factor to an alarming decline in fishing participation rates. As fishing license sales face a death spiral, fishing’s economic contribution will continue to decline, as will revenue for state conservation and fishery programs.

The legislation is also supported by an impressive coalition of state and local organizations representing small business, labor, local government, travel, hospitality, marinas and boat manufacturers. The coalition recognizes that an unprecedented decline in fishing license sales threatens recreational fishing’s $4.6 billion annual economic contribution to California communities dependent on outdoor tourism, jobs and tax revenue.

Even the International Union of Operating Engineers and SEIU Local 1000, who represent the rank and file Department of Fish and Wildlife employees, agree that a 12-month fishing license will sell more licenses and bring in more revenue – not less revenue – to the DFW.

We owe a special thanks to everyone who called or emailed their State Senator -- but we still have a ways to go. Before reaching the Governor’s desk, SB 187 must pass the State Assembly. Your continued support is greatly appreciated.

Fishing License Facts:
• Despite all its natural resources and size, California’s fishing participation rate has declined to dead last (per capita) in the United States. Furthermore, according to a 2015 study conducted by the CSL, California’s annual fishing license is the costliest in the United States (w/permits). When compared to other states, California’s annual license is 76% more expensive.
• Sales of the state’s annual fishing licenses have declined over 55% since 1980, during which time California’s population increased over 60%.
• Another contributing factor to declining sales is that the state’s annual license is not valid a full 12-months from the date of purchase, like the state’s annual park pass. Calendar-based fishing licenses expire on December 31st of every year, providing little to no incentive for anglers to purchase a license late in the year. Today, 11 states and Mexico offer a 12-month fishing license.
• The State of Texas implemented a 12-month license program in 2005, and over the past five years (2012-16), they experienced an 11.8% increase in sales and a 12.58% increase in revenue (or $1.9 million). Maryland experienced similar success.
• Fishery and conservation programs are also at risk as fishing license sales fuel the Fish and Game Preservation Fund, which is facing an unprecedented $20 million deficit. This deficit will only grow as federal funding, assessed by the number of licenses sold, is reduced as annual license sales continue to decline.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
goldenglory18

About damn time!

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
ctfphoto

Dosen't really matter as most of us fish year round.

Big fish are caught in January.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Dosen't really matter as most of us fish year round.

Big fish are caught in January.

It matters for those of us in and out of the state or country often and don't get to buy a license the first 1-6 months of the year. It's nice to know I can buy a license in December and not have to buy one again in February or March.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'm sure people are less likely to buy a license later in the year, so this is good news.

But, 76% more expensive than other states and still facing a deficit? Another option would be to decrease the cost of a damn license in the first place, then more people would buy one and they can get the extra federal funding... Or downsize the state conservation and fishery programs since they aren't needed if there are less people fishing.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
GTboosted

Sweet, when does it go into effect?
Old 06-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
It matters for those of us in and out of the state or country often and don't get to buy a license the first 1-6 months of the year. It's nice to know I can buy a license in December and not have to buy one again in February or March.
That is a good point but unfortunately the net result in your scenario wold be a loss in revenue to the state which may not be palatable. If this bill gets passed and signed by Governor Moon beam it is a small victory for California sportsmen. I think it a total misconception that the current licensing plans is a major contributor to the decline in recreational fishing in California. And to expect that there will be success similar to Texas is a total fantasy. Texas is a state of sportsmen first of all and secondly, as a resident I can buy an all water resident license for $40. Actually 22 bucks because I'm a senior. The current licensing scheme in California is one of the trivial many problems, not the significant few.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
jorluivil

I could care less about this.

However, if anything will come out of this its the fact that we are likely to have more people out fishing with an expired license. Why? Well, its is much easier to remember that your license expires 12/31 and not 5/17 or 8/13 or 9/43 or 10/31 or 13/12, right? While I agree that this is a win for those who may be overseas and do not buy their license at the beginning of the year its an even bigger win for the CDFW.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 06-01-2017 at 02:24 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
socal.beach.bum

No problem

Just buy a lifetime license like me, expires the day I die 😇
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Yay.

The calendar based system is annoying for those who buy their licenses later in the year, effectively jacking up their price per day for fishing.

Regardless of the alleged and proven benefits supply side economics, I can't help wondering if the state will now jack up fees to make up for their "shortfall" of revenue by no longer being able to sell half-year licenses for full year prices?

Their ravenous thirst for ever-increasing budgets never wanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
-- but we still have a ways to go. Before reaching the Governor’s desk, SB 187 must pass the State Assembly. Your continued support is greatly appreciated.
Uh-oh. Good luck. I'll bet a margarita and a dollar that the only thing that passes is a bill that sucks more tax money, expands the bureaucracy, buys votes and makes things more complicated for the rest of us peasants who get exploited.

Cynical you say? Moi? That's probably a fair bet too.

A visionary classic about Jerry Brown from the old days:
https://youtu.be/jN-_UOvwNA8

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-02-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #11
chuckt

oh now, other than all the fishing gears, another thing to forget, renewing fishing license. I guess, there will be more ticket for fishing with expired license.
They should go a step further by adding option of 3/6 months license, so I would buy it during summer months.
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Dave Legacy

This will be handy for my wife. There's been quite a few years where she hasn't gotten a license, because it was late-ish in the year when she free'd up to do some fishing. She wouldn't want to spend the annual cost for only a third of a year.

I fish all year, so it's never really bothered me.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
jorluivil

If you were to gather data on when most annual fishing licenses were purchased I would guess that a fair majority of them were purchased in January. Using myself as an example, my license expires 12/31 so unless I decide to fish on Monday 1/1/18 I will likely purchase my license during the last week of December 2017. If I follow that same principal I will likely be buying my 2019 fishing license the second to last week or 2018, 3rd to last week of 2019 for 2020, 2nd week of December 2020 for 2021 and the 1st week of December 2020 for 2021. In essence, it will take several years of me purchasing a license before I see any benefit to it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
GTboosted

I doubt January has the most licenses sold. Maybe true here on bwe but not everyone is a kayak fisherman or fishes during winter. (although you can see that bwe is not as active during this time too..)

I feel lucky that I can fish any weekend weather permitting but my experience with freshwater fishermen is that they dont start until spring and even summer. If something gets in the way and they have to wait a bit longer...they have second thoughts of buying a year license later in the year.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:55 AM   #15
Saba Slayer

Long way to go....

Before ya'll pop the champagne...

" ...but we still have a ways to go. Before reaching the Governor’s desk, SB 187 must pass the State Assembly. Your continued support is greatly appreciated."

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:58 AM   #16
PapaDave

About time...

Not that it affects me much as I too purchase my license regularly, but there have been folks I've taken fishing, or have asked to go, that wouldn't buy a years license because it was not for a full twelve months.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #17
skrilla

Ditto. Doesn't effect us year round anglers much. But great for guys just getting in to the sport. And that's exactly what we need. Most regular guys don't fish till the weather is great or it's WFO anyway. So bring on the added June and July license buyers IMHO.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:06 AM   #18
Mahigeer

According to a post on another fishing website, it will be effective in 2020, providing it passes all the obstacles.
So to the entire nay Sayers, you have three (maybe 2.5) years to be quiet.

However,
1) What prevents anybody from continuing to buy their license as before the first of the year?
2) Does your vehicle license plate expire on January 1?
3) Does your car, home, etc. insurance coverage end on December 31st?
4) All F&W has to do is send you a reminder to renew your license.

Thus, all of the negative reasons for this not being a good thing, is non-sense.

The dedicated and law abiding fishermen will continue to buy license regardless.
Furthermore, the new to the sport can also buy license and enjoy the full year coverage for their fee.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #19
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
According to a post on another fishing website, it will be effective in 2020, providing it passes all the obstacles.
So to the entire nay Sayers, you have three (maybe 2.5) years to be quiet.
I wonder why it takes so long to change a f'ing (as in fishing) license revenue collection law? I wonder how much this process costs, how many people are involved, how many hours are scheduled and consumed, how many supplies are purchased, how many studies are launched, how many gas guzzling cars and expensive trucks are driven around to inane meetings, how many lawyers and politicians are stuffing their billing cycles with expenses to this end, and how many other precious resources are being consumed and/or wasted? Why is California so complicated and expensive compared to other states?

Just curious.

OK, I'll be quiet now for the next 2.5 years

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 06-02-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #20
WARRIORMIKE

Whats a fishing license?
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote