Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Sdspeed

Peddle vs. Paddle

Have any of you who had a peddle kayak go back to a paddle kayak?
Or vice versa?
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Yes
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
chuckt

I wonder if the speed , paddle vs peddle are comparable?
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Yes
thanks for the details ..lol
Why did you go back?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
thanks for the details ..lol
Why did you go back?
I was replying yes to the vice versa part. I went from paddle to peddle like many have. Your follow up question makes me think I misinterpreted what you asked.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
YakMedic

I switched back to paddling. I still keep the hobie for the days when my intent is to only fish. Often times I want to spend the day on the water and fishing is secondary, on those days I take the paddle yak.

I've always considered myself a kayaker first and the hobie doesn't fit my intended application as a paddle yak. The best answer for me was to have both kayaks.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I was replying yes to the vice versa part. I went from paddle to peddle like many have. Your follow up question makes me think I misinterpreted what you asked.
My bad, I should have said if you had a peddle kayak did you go to a paddle kayak and then go back to peddle and if so why?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
DanaPT

2cents. . .

I have the malibu xfactor. It is a fantastic platform. Plenty of room for stuff like my 7 year old son. It's very stable and I could stand comfortably on it. It's just when you are paddling you're not 'hands on" fishing/drinking.

The outback is smaller (way less stuff to stow) it is just as stable but i think faster. Peddling vs paddling = more power in legs than arms and hands free is a huge plus for fishing/drinking (i think you can cover (fish/drink) more ground peddling).

good luck .
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
PapaDave

Before I bought my first kayak, I tried out both. One day coming back in against a fairly strong wind it took me three hours to paddle back to the harbor. I bought a hobie.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
OUTBACK SPECIAL

Outback To Stealth 14

I switched from a first generation Outback to a Stealth 14. The Stealth is far more stable in rough water. I also like having the bait tank in front of me and the low C/G adds to the stability. I still use my outback but now I keep it in Az. on my Pontoon boat.
OUTBACK SPECIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
ful-rac
Emperor

Im one of the guys that at first refused to go with hobie...and thought I would paddle forever...my beloved stealth 14 developed a crack in it and I had an opportunity to jump into a pro angler...and I'm glad I did. No it's not all advantage, but just like I had been told the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Sure there are some days when I wish I had my ol' paddle kayak back! I just may buy another paddle yak just for those "special days".
Old 02-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
RockyRaab

For what seems to be the 9,457th time, the word is PEDAL.

To peddle is to sell door to door. Unless you are schlepping your kayak around the neighborhood like a box of Girl Scout cookies, you are not peddling it.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaab View Post
For what seems to be the 9,457th time, the word is PEDAL.

To peddle is to sell door to door. Unless you are schlepping your kayak around the neighborhood like a box of Girl Scout cookies, you are not peddling it.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
theluckypig

i was a happy paddler of a trident, but always curious about the advantages of pedaling a hobie around... i decided that what i enjoy most about kayak fishing is the fishing part and didn't care about how i get to the spot. so, i got a revo. i loved the revo in terms of performance, but i missed the features of my trident. i kept the revo for about 6 months. i switched back to a trident ultra and i am much happier that i've come back to paddling. pedaling / paddling doesn't really matter to me, but the features of the kayak did. i've never demoed a PA, but i'm also not that curious any longer... (i also have a hobie oasis tandem for the wife and i to get out, so i still pedal on occasion) my .02
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
taggermike

When I started yakking the mirage drive was years in the future. The drive was not well recieved and most paddlers seamed to think it was a joke, gimmick, or some sort of sell out. I thought the mirage looked worth trying and did try the original outback. Liked the drive but not the boat. Also I could never afford a hobie. So things have changed. I have a hobie now and I love it. I also have a prowler 15 and a battleship malibu extream that I love to paddle. So I guess to answer your question, I switch back and forth depending on where I am, how far I want to go, or how far I may need to carry the yak. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Sdspeed

So PB it is...lol

Well it appears kayak owners are a lot like car or motorcycle enthusiasts.
Ya need more than one depending on your plans on the water for any given trip. Or where your mind and body happen to be and what the goal of the day maybe. My late father was an avid motorcycle rider, as in everyday for over 65 years. As a kid I always wondered why he felt he need 3 different types of bikes at any given time, and they all got ridden regularly. Now as an old timer myself it's pretty obvious, bike,boat,kayak, etc. they all seem to serve one or two purposes better than their competitors, so to cover all the bases ya better make room for more than one. Besides all these adventures are cheaper and more fun than years of therapy.

Thanks again everyone for the input, now all I have to do is pick which one I buy First.

Tight Lines
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Sdspeed's post made me think about this subject. I ride a Revo and have never owned a paddle kayak. I love my Revo, especially as a fishing platform but have to admit that I really admire the guys who can easily outfish me while holding a paddle in their hands.

Sometimes I think that fishing on a Hobie is kind of like cheating. Then I look at how well some other guys do without having the "hands-free advantage". It makes me realize that it is probably more about the guy who is sitting on the piece of plastic rather than the particular brand of plastic he, (or she), is sitting on.

Back in the day, I used to race a bit on skis. I had a stable full of skis for all the different conditions. It would have been unthinkable to approach the sport any other way. Maybe kayaking is the same type of sport.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #18
OutdoorAdvntr

hi, sorry to hijack your thread but i have a question related to pedal/paddle. hobie is designed for both right? for paddling, are they comparable with other regular paddle yak, in terms of tracking & speed? thanks!
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
RockyRaab

Well, paddling my ProAngler 14 is nowhere near as easy or effective as pedaling it. The boat's width (beam, to use the correct word) is such that using a paddle is simply difficult. It's the only kayak I have ever owned - or plan to. Love it.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
PapaDave

Outback and Revo, yes, no problem. PA14? I have on occasions but it isn't as easy.