Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Dana Point 6/25 & 6/26

6 foot swells rolled through all afternoon Saturday but managed some shorts and barely legal Calicos on Big Hammers at the Pipe, all released safely. The water temp jumped 10° in a week to 73° this weekend which really picked up the activity.

Sunday still had some big swells but it was also a lot bumpier out there. I didn't see any other kayakers out in the afternoon but I decided to slow troll a rapala to the Headlands anyway. Nothing on the troll, but at around high tide 3:00 I found myself in the middle of a wide open bass bite for about 20 minutes before birds started crashing nearby and then all around me turned to Macs busting up anchovies at the surface. I couldn't even get my zman down to where the bass were without Macs tearing up my lure. I never destroyed zman lures this fast before, but the Macs managed to rip them up pretty well. The bass were spitting up anchovies and were mostly short and maybe barely legal, didn't measure any and lost count after about a dozen. I didn't mark anything bigger in the area and the texture was getting bumpier so I took a tank full of Macs on a stressful trip back to the harbor to look for Halibut. I really dislike traveling with following seas. In the harbor I hooked up with a decent 4-5 foot leopard that finally bit through the 40 pound mono at the kayak after a good struggle. All fish released.

With the warm water it shouldn't be long now before the bonito, cuda, and hopefully yellowtail will be around.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
6 foot swells rolled through all afternoon Saturday but managed some shorts and barely legal Calicos on Big Hammers at the Pipe, all released safely. The water temp jumped 10° in a week to 73° this weekend which really picked up the activity.

Sunday still had some big swells but it was also a lot bumpier out there. I didn't see any other kayakers out in the afternoon but I decided to slow troll a rapala to the Headlands anyway. Nothing on the troll, but at around high tide 3:00 I found myself in the middle of a wide open bass bite for about 20 minutes before birds started crashing nearby and then all around me turned to Macs busting up anchovies at the surface. I couldn't even get my zman down to where the bass were without Macs tearing up my lure. I never destroyed zman lures this fast before, but the Macs managed to rip them up pretty well. The bass were spitting up anchovies and were mostly short and maybe barely legal, didn't measure any and lost count after about a dozen. I didn't mark anything bigger in the area and the texture was getting bumpier so I took a tank full of Macs on a stressful trip back to the harbor to look for Halibut. I really dislike traveling with following seas. In the harbor I hooked up with a decent 4-5 foot leopard that finally bit through the 40 pound mono at the kayak after a good struggle. All fish released.

With the warm water it shouldn't be long now before the bonito, cuda, and hopefully yellowtail will be around.
Can't wait for the local Bonita... I'm probably one of the few that gets excited when I get one. MMMM sashimi.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
acorad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Can't wait for the local Bonita... I'm probably one of the few that gets excited when I get one. MMMM sashimi.
I'm with you! And they fight much bigger than they are.

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
pingpangdang

Quote:
Bonita is not bad if you prepare it like they do in japan sushi restaurants.

Take a torch and seer the top...just like a steak. Rare in the middle nice smoky seer on the outside. Throw a sprinkle of green onions on top and serve with ponzu sauce which is like a vinegary soy sauce mix. No more gamey fishy taste..

Torching is awesome for salmon sushi as well
Attached Images

Last edited by pingpangdang; 06-27-2016 at 11:24 AM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Love everything about Bonito. Absolutely love them as sashimi prepared any particular way. They're even better smoked. Smoked, I think only salmon and albacore might be better of the fish I've smoked or tried. They are great any other way prepared too.

They lose their appeal when not properly cared for ASAP after being caught, bleed 'em and put on ice.

They might taste a little gamey if this procedure is skipped, besides the flesh getting soft in a hurry.

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 07-01-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
Denis_Ruso

I'm going to have to agree with all three posts above me.

They do fight great especially the larger models. The really pack a punch and test your light tackle.

The searing I have not yet tried. I am going to have to give it a shot! Looks really good. We just brought one back from a trip to San Clemente island this Saturday and made some simple sashimi cuts. It was delicious.

And I agree, if they aren't bled and iced quickly they do become what everyone sees them as... lobster bait.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I believe it's Pacific Bonito, not Bonita

I love catching those feisty little firecrackers on light tackle. For those of us that don't eat raw fish, we used some last season to make the most delicious "tuna salad" sandwiches using Yanni's recipe for tuna salad. Bleed em and ice em fast, they are very good.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post

Take a torch and seer the top...just like a steak. Rare in the middle nice smoky seer on the outside. Throw a sprinkle of green onions on top and serve with ponzu sauce which is like a vinegary soy sauce mix. No more gamey fishy taste..

Might have to try them seared. I've had them as sashimi and man were they good. I dare say even better than bluefin.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
PapaDave

Personally, fresh bonito is excellent when prepared.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Might have to try them seared. I've had them as sashimi and man were they good. I dare say even better than bluefin.
Yep, sashimi or smoked they are as good as it gets!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
Zed
BANNED

Theyre good but not a good fish to sit in a fish sack on a 3/4 day etc. I was on a boat once and the cook took one from the water to the flattop and seared up some and brought out a plate for us. It was great and everyone started sacking bones. Once home the barracuda and other 3/4day fish were in good shape but the bones were awful.

Gotta hand it to the cook though he scored some fillet money for the crew w that simple seared fresh bonito.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:20 AM   #12
DanaPT

Thanks for sharing. Glad the water has finally warmed. Now if we could Only drop the wind.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
knightnsd

might try that recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post

Awesome post, may have to try that on bonito or better salmon. Ive not cared much for the bonita and have only eaten it as the cooked-flaked topping they place on sushi. Seems like the other game fish have become impossible to find
knightnsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #14
Dee84cali

How do u cure Bonita or any fish for sashimi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee84cali View Post
How do u cure Bonita or any fish for sashimi?

Bleed, gut and ice as soon as you possibly can. Throw it in the freezer for at least 24 hours, back in the fridge and cut it while its still a little firm and nice and cold! Same for any fish. Thats my routine.

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #16
Dee84cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Bleed, gut and ice as soon as you possibly can. Throw it in the freezer for at least 24 hours, back in the fridge and cut it while its still a little firm and nice and cold! Same for any fish. Thats my routine.

Thanks

Dee84cali is offline   Reply With Quote