Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #41
THE DARKHORSE

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Since this post is already a week old I thought I'd throw up a sequel. We smoked the rest of that batch of fish and nothing was frozen; neighbors and friends are well stocked at the moment. Being a fisherman, though, there was only one thing I could think of: go out and catch more Yellowtail! It's a viscous cycle. I realize. A whirlwind of carnage with a sprinkle of catch and release. So here's your invitation, albeit a bit tardy, to my sushi party last night. There's something special about a day off work after a rough week at the office (thanks to some overhead swell). First you surf a couple sessions until your arms are going to practically fall off. Followed by a long hot shower to relax those tweaked muscles and bones. Then gorging yourself like a pregnant Sea Lion, of course.

Tonight's festivities were spruced up a bit with an assortment of frizzante Italian red wines (slightly sparkling Lambrusco, from Lombardy). These were somewhat, funky, austere wines with forward earthy characteristics followed by muddled fruit. Not exactly something I'd have all by itself, but perfect for our first course. Which just so happened to be the often overlooked, Yelllowtail collar. Trust me, it's worth the effort to remove this well guarded treasure. A hacksaw is the preferred tool of the trade. The texture and flavor of the collar is simply amazing. It hardly even tastes like a fish for that matter.

If I had to describe it in one word that would be a synch: succulent! Reminds me of a perfectly cooked game-bird more than anything else.

Four minutes on each side, over high flame of course, and you've got something special to entertain guests. If you don't feel like experimenting with Lambrusco, or any other funky reds for that matter, simply Pair this with an earthy Pinot Noir and you'll knock someone's socks off. Guaranteed. A French, slightly chilled, Beaujolais would be another fine alternative.

Spread those wings and watch her fly off the table; I'm talking seconds. Arguably the best part of these fish, for sure. From here we cleansed the palette with a couple serving trays of simple rolls. And Sake, of course.

Just keep in mind that this isn't some cooking show on television, a restaurant, or a competition for that matter. Just a group of normal folks eating until they implode; or spew a geyser of Lombardy. In no particular order. Also keep in mind that I'm the jackass with a camera at a sushi party; making people wait to eat. I realize the rolls aren't perfectly placed and we kept the garnish to a minimum these last two sessions. If this was a competition or made for television, keep in mind, all things in moderation. If it were, I would be the same photo-nazi like I am with client's fish photos. And make sure there wasn't even the slightest blemish on a plate. A sprinkle of fish eggs for color and texture is what would make these dishes pop. I can't get enough, though. So if you come over and don't like fish eggs: make your own roll!

Notice the perfectly cleaned cuts ready for action in the background? Since you've already seen grilled fish and the seared dynamite, I'll hold off this time. Getting back to the rolls here's a closer look.

This fish put up a ridiculous arm-breaking fight. The least we could do was take her out in style. How's this for color? I call it the Peacock roll. As previously mentioned I'm a big fan of spice. I can probably put most guys under the table on Sake. I can rival any man alive on my servings of Wasabi (Japanese Horseradish), but this isn't a competition. And not everyone eats Wasabi until smoke comes out their ears.

So here's a splash of color with a touch of spice. A little heat never hurt if you asked me. All thing's in moderation, right? Below is a closer look using the macro lens.

Here's hoping you make the most out of your next trophy-fish. Save those collars and don't let a scale go to waste! Don't forget to invite some friends and take it up a notch on the grill, too. The celebration shouldn't end with some high-fives on the water. You can do better than that. With the Pacific Ocean down the street, I'd forget about freezing fish. When you want some fresh fish, go catch one. And make the most of it when you do.

Branch out and try some new-to-you wines in the process. Challenge yourself to make something that's almost too pretty to eat---almost.
When you get tired of having sushi parties you might consider changing gears. This little beauty just came off the operating table as I type. Variety is the spice 'o life! Now the creative juices are flowing all over again. This is the fun part where you get a chance to mix it up. Keep it interesting, 'ya know?

White Sea Bass over a bed of rice, accompanied by grilled vegetables, drizzled with beurre blanc? White Sea Bass gumbo, White Sea Bass tortellini, fish and chips...
Old 05-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
slobslayer

how do you do it!
slobslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #43
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Thumbs up

Simple amazing!
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #44
theluckypig

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #45
sharonkayak

nice work!

maybe this year since the moyer tournament isnt going to be happening
we should mix it up with a cook off.

I will volunteer to be one of the judges!
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #46
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Awesome!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #47
Salty Dog
loves bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonkayak View Post
nice work!

I'll sponsor a few cases of Sake and Sapporos for that worthwhile shindig
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #48
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo View Post
Show Off..
Ditto
FFY

btw: Do you cater???LOL!!!
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
littlesquirt
Junior

Nice fish again and terrific post and shared information from the most talented angler and linguist for the area. I personally never iced local tail or catch that long, we typically cur fillets while cleaning the boat, and I always broiled collar the night of or thereafer. Awesome post and always informative and truly a Badass!
littlesquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #50
Regor
Greg

Nice homage to the fish of LJ !

Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #51
Whizz Bang

Presentation needs a little work..............nicely done, mostly.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #52
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

crows...

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #53
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Hey Josh who takes your photos on the water? They always look so professional!
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #54
MrM

We should make a cooking thread for everyone to submit their creations.

Hint, hint.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #55
ChefT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonkayak View Post
nice work!

I'm in....., we can hold at my restaurant ...
Plenty of room and space... It's in corona del mar on pch
We are about to remodel and relaunch the restaurant in a few weeks.

Let me know folks ... I'll get it organized
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #56
ccoral

Send a message via AIM to ccoral
Is that brown rice you are using for sushi? Other wise all good
ccoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #57
Poxy Boggards

Now I am hungry. Great post!
Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #58