Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

Battle of the Bays Results...

What a Fun Time Yesterday...!
THANKS to Steve, Sondra, and Wayne and all our wonderful San Diego Chapter CCA volunteers. You guys did another great job.
THANKS to all those that registered and participated...and Tony and Don for sponsoring the active servicemen and Steve and Ed for outfitting Ryan ! You are the ones that really make this happen...Thanks to all of you for your support of CCA CAL...
AND...a BIG THANK YOU to all our Sponsors that provided the great raffle prizes...!!!
I'm looking forward to the Santa Monica Bay event and some big stringers of Bass and maybe a Big Halibut there too.

Here are the results and some comments from yesterday's Mission Bay tourney. I'm having trouble uploading the photos so I'll post those up later...
54 were registered and about 45 launched and fished the event...with 18 in the Big Fish side pot...and only 4 in the Mity Might contest. All that paid and registered for the tourney will be in the Cedros drawing on July 14th.

It was pretty darn foggy early as the guys launched and the wind really picked up as the day went on. The fishing and the iAngler submissions were pretty slow in the morning for our wonderful and patient judges sitting at the computers all day (Sondra Mote and Mike Ueida). The photos submissions seemed to pickup as the tide started to fill in later in the morning.
The fishing on the outside was very slow for most of the anglers that make the long, windy and foggy peddle out there.

Two kayaks flipped on the outside and needed boat support...I think we're going to shut down the outside fishing next year as this is the second year with guys having issues on the outside.
We'll tweek the rules so we can get more submissions and involvement since we'll be in the bay next year.

The Taco Lady was a little late but she set up really quickly and we still got everyone fed and they all seemed happy with their delicious Cinco de Mayo taco lunch and Debbie's famous Chocolate Chip Cookies...!!!
There was enough cold beer and soft drinks, and water to get everyone rehydrated after the mornings workout...

RESULTS.......

#1 Norm Campbell kicked some butt yesterday and won by 14.5 inches....with a total bag of 47" to take first place and win a $500 gift card to Dana Landing.
#2 David Gordon had a big kicker 18.50" Sand Bass for a total bag of 34.5 inches to take second place and the Okuma $250 gift certificate.
#3 A wet Tony Souza took 3rd place with a last minute 1:00pm+ peddle in. His bag of two bass was 30.25 inches. Tony won a $125 Promar/AHI gift card.
#4 Paul Gomez was 4th with one singe 16.75 Sand Bass and he took home a $75 gift card for some Hookup Bait products.
The Chang Gang was not in the running at all in this tourney...so look for Derwin and company to look for revenge at one of the next events...LOL
David Gordon's 18.5" Grumpy Sand Bass won him the Biggest Bass award...a One Cool Tuna CNC jig.
The now drying Tony Souza won the largest Calico bass award...a Bill Boyce print, with a last minute...15.25 Calico.
Roger Burrow's 14.75" Spotty was the longest caught in the tourney and earned him another Bill Boyce print.
You can go to the leader board for the Mission Bay tourney on the iAngler app and take a look at the results and the photos of the anglers fish and the other smaller fish caught.
The Big Fish side pot had 18 anglers put in for a $360 payout to a...........
Winning Red Rockfish of about 1.5 lbs...You other guys should have saved those big sculpin and rockfish that you were tossing back...LOL...when no one connects with that Big Flattie or WSB, any other CDFW legal gamefish can win the side pot...so keep that in mind at the next events. no... LOL...!
The Mity Might contest was won by Dale Shaw with a 10.75" Calico bass.
This contest was for the longest fish caught with the Mity Might rod and then submitted with the rod in the photo to the app.Any and all fish were eligible.
Only 4 anglers were in this $20 side contest and it payed off with nice 7' 15# to 30# MH Roddy Graphite rod. It's a good yoyo or bait rod built on a decent graphite blank.
Photos soon to come...

The Battle of the Bay's team in Santa Monica Bay is looking forward to another fun event on June 9th at the King Harbor Yacht Club hosted by Andy Allen/Sunset Beach OEX and CCA CAL.
Go to www.battleofthebays.com to register...scroll down past the tourney flyer and click on the venue of your choice.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-06-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

Some BoB photos

Old 05-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Amish Ed

Thanks for doing such a great job Jim. It was a super fun day. And it was my pleasure to take Ryan. Such a great guy. Thank you for your service Ryan, and hope to see you at the HOW event on the 19th.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Tekniks

Can’t wait for the June one!
Tekniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Another excellent tournament thanks Jim!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:09 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

Makes me feel better that I tied with Derwin.

Two years in a row we have had crappy conditions - maybe move everything out a month later next year?
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Dates...?

Thanks for the nice comments guys...I had fun too!
We are planning some tweaking of the rules so that you guys can submit more photos and there can be more competition at the Mission Bay event since it's such a tough fishery compared to SM or Dana.The only problem seems to be the lack of big fish in the bay and with that, this event can't compete with the other bags of bass the guys will catch in SM or Dana or even Oxnard (CIH) for the top prizes.
We'll also look at moving the date to later in the summer. With 4 tourneys it becomes a juggling act trying to get some open dates for all our venues and working around the summer crowds and the other club and fundraising tournaments...especially with the San Diego Bay ramp closed...Mission Bay has been very busy...we'll see what we can do next year...and I'm nominating Baja Traveler as the new tournament director to fix all the Mission Bay problems that he's found (except banning his arch rivals the Chang Gang)...LOL
I could use all the help I can get...It's a one man show on the logistics, acquisitions, advertising and planning until we get to the events where the CCA CAL volunteers take over...
So if you're full of ideas and suggestions...I'm looking for volunteers...LOL
Thanks to all that participated...if you didn't make it and you registered for the Mission Bay event...PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH ME SO WE CAN BE SURE YOU ARE ENTERED IN THE CEDROS DRAWING...!!!

Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Glad everything worked out for the Better!

Looks like the tournament was a success!

Thanks for all you hard work Jim!
Old 05-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

Photos...

Wayne Kotow our CCA CAL executive director has posted a couple of photo albums on our Facebook page...https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7222158&type=1
There are lots of great on the water photos there and on a later post there are about 140 photos of the raffle, awards, and lunch...ENJOY...!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7222158&type=1