Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
Fishing619

Witch FF for a new kayak?

I need a new FF for my kayak but when I Google or not or when I search FF
They are a lot of options going from $100 all the way to over $1000 so how do I know which FF it's a good choice and what can I do transducer do I need thanks for any help.
Fishing619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
maquinapescado

I have a hook 5 and have been happy with it. If I were to do it again I would just get an HDS 7. Some of the most successful kayak fisherman I have met use this FF. The FF isn't the only critical component though. How you mount your transducer, time on the water, rigging, conditions and so on and on and on and on.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
jorluivil

The best FF for your kayak is the one you can afford

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Fishing619

I got a Lowrance Hook 7 but I don't know how
to turn off the demo mode LoL
Fishing619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
FISH11

Most have that option at the bottom of the settings list.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Elite 5 ti 50/200 transducer
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
CON KSO

I'm fairly new to fishing and using fish finders - I bought a Hook5 and am now hooked on using a fish finder. Here's what I like:

1. GPS I use this as a split screen with the down scan feature of the Hook5 - I find a good looking section of bottom and mark it on the GPS. I fish for spotties a lot and staying on top of a bottom feature is really helpful. By marking a waypoint I can hover around the feature and see how productive it is. I've found and marked some consistent spots - I love this feature about my fish finder.

2. Depth and Water Temp - I fly fish 90% of the time and knowing how deep I'm fishing helps me to know if I'm getting my fly down to where the fish are. I like watching water temperature too - I'm not sure why yet but I like that I get a reading on it.

3. Down scan and "regular" fish finding sonar mode - I like to switch between both modes to compare what I'm looking at. The side scan is cool, it seems to me that I can pick out what's a weed growing off the bottom and what's a rock. I haven't fished free swimmers like yellowtail with the fish finder yet so I can't speak to the effective of actually finding fish with it but it is fun to see what's happening down on the bottom.

4. Pre-installed with Navionics data - I love this for the topographic underwater contour lines - I often look for fishy spots on the GPS Navionics data and then verify with the down scan/fish finder sonar.

I'm really hooked on my fish finder and I like it a lot.

That being said I did have my brand new Hook5 die on me. I ended up contacting Lowrance and they had me mail it to them (on my dime), they checked it out and for some reason they decided that I should get a new one.

It really sucked that it broke so early in its life aboard my kayak but I did like the Lowrance was easy to deal with as far as returning the unit and getting a new one sent out.

I'm now very careful with my Hook5 I put a plastic bag over it while I'm paddling (a clear one) and I keep ANY water contact with it at a minimum.

Important: I'd consider the Noqua battery instead of the Hobie battery and tray that's available. I have both and I prefer the lithium battery for it's discharge characteristics, weight and water resistance.

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable dropping more than 350 for a kayak fish finder unit - but if I had to do it again, I'd probably buy the Hook5 from a local brick and mortar and then pay for any extra protection plan available. I would verify with them that if the thing dies I want a replacement under the plan (that way you could skip dealing with Lowrance). If I had that reassurance (try to get in writing) I'd go for the Hook5 again.

In short - I kinda feel naked out there without my fish finder. I'm going to always have one on my boat.

Last edited by CON KSO; 09-24-2017 at 03:46 PM.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
PapaDave

Which witch?

I think the blonde one is kinda cute...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beautiful-blonde-witch.jpg (42.7 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
goldenglory18

I just hooked up my Raymarine Dragonfly 7 pro and LOVE it...
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #10
CON KSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
I think the blonde one is kinda cute...
yummy.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #11
TJones

Can you afford

Hds 3 ? There are a few guys with PA's that are running them. And why not ? As fas as transducer, it is preference with this unit. Hdi 83/200 works well if down imaging is your thing. Possibly even jam a 50/200 in the slot. I have not tried the total scan transducer with the hobie lowrance ready so can not give an opinion on side scan. And if you want to run traditional only? 50/200 will give good penetration. You will not find another unit that even comes close as far as peak power. Expect to pay 1200$ for a head unit without transducer.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
CON KSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
I just hooked up my Raymarine Dragonfly 7 pro and LOVE it...
I'm interested - what specifically do you like about that unit?

I'm kind of planning for not if but when this Hook5 replacement dies and I'd like to know what would be a more robust replacement. Currently I'm keeping it covered with a plastic bag when I'm in conditions that send up lots of splashes onto it - it works but it reminds me of my friend's Chinese grandma who covered all of her furniture with plastic - it works but it's not ideal.

Lowrance did send a replacement unit for the brand new Hook5 I had that died. They never told me why it died. Is the Raymarine Dragonfly known to be a more water resistent/proof unit? Is the user interface more intuitive?

Would be interested in more details about what you like about it.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #13
fourtogo

FF

Garmin Striker 7SV
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
filippo

HDS 7 Gen 3. Absolutely love it!
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #15
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
I'm interested - what specifically do you like about that unit?

Would be interested in more details about what you like about it.
Very user friendly interface. The settings were easy to dial in to be able to see details via sonar and DSI. Split screen function is solid, and using the two in combo (sonar and DSI) you can get some really great readings. I could see baitfish details in 15' of water.

The transducer is huge, but with a little creativity you can make it work. Boats that are designed with built-in options or are designed with large ducers in mind are going to be a lot easier to install. Mine isn't, so I went with a DIY over-the-gunwale install with PVC and RAM accessories. IT was a PITA but I made it work.

Raymarine makes a cover for the unit that actually covers the rear of the unit. I'll be picking up one of those for beach launches and landings. It wont be 100% water tight but it should help the splash factor.

The chart/GPS seems to be the only soft spot. Although I say that after one time out on the water so after I get a bit more used to it, I think it will be fine.

I really, REALLY like the Navionics software, but that can be had with other units so I'm not tying that directly to my review of the Raymarine hardware.
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON KSO View Post
Is the Raymarine Dragonfly known to be a more water resistent/proof unit? Is the user interface more intuitive?
There's been many reports of Lowrance units dying from water intrusion here, and quite a few guys bag their displays to protect them. It seems like more guys use them so that probably is why we hear about their problems more often. That said, in addition to the splashing it takes I've been hosing down my DF 6 for about 3 years now without any problems. The UI is easy to work with, and really there is not much need to mess with it. Just turn it on and it works. The biggest con has always been the size of the transducer, but I've found good solutions for all of my kayaks so for me it has never been a problem. If it dies someday, I will definitely get the new DF 7 or 9.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #17
TJones

water intrusion

have you tried to remove your sd card? I had a dragon fly and sold it. unit was working as intended when I sold it. the buyer also got a fish and chip card with unit. I was not able to remove it prior to sale. I did not want to force it. most of these units have issues with water intrusion, especially at the card port. I would definitely not recommend hosing down any electronic unit with pressurized water. similar to reel care, take a damp towel and pat the unit to clean and remove salt deposits. I also currently have a helix 5 and did what most people do and hose the unit down. the next trip out, I would notice misting on screen from the inside. remarkably the unit has had no issues. again, this technique is not recommended. helix 5 is an extraordinary unit for the 500$ range. the dragon fly because of its simplicity is attractive, but if you are not adjusting or learn how to adjust you fish finder according to conditions, then you will be missing out on things taking place. its like anything, more time and experience has huge dividends. both of these units are great, and obviously hummingbird has some great products to compete with lowrance. I also know people who are having problems with the mid price units of lowrance and for that reason hummingbird might be a better choice. if you can find a hds gen 2, than I would grab it. I traded mine in for gen 3. they are similar units and you will not be disappointed with performance . needless to say, it will not be cheap, out of warranty, and some risk involved as when buying any used electronic item. hope this feedback helps.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #18
Raskal311

The hook is a dumb down elite chirp that has freezing issues. Save some cash and get the elite of you are considering a hook.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #19
TJones

x2

bad reviews going around
Old 09-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
TheBentRod

My Lowrance Elite 4 works great, my Hook 5 sucks when it freezes and works great when it is not freezing.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote