Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Dean Machine

nasty

That's more than I've seen in awhile. Conditions this morning were bad. I should have heeded the wind warning I read last night, oh well. I paddled out at about 5:30 hoping the sun would provide some light, and soon. The launch was easy and it was real nasty out there but I figured it was still doable until about 6:00 when things just blew up. I felt like a fart in a hurricane and couldn't help thinking about earning a darwin award. I decided to turn around when I felt the wind lifting the side of my yak everytime I crested a nasty chopped up swell. For fear of getting blown over and having to deal with that it was not worth it. There were quite a few that had lanched before me and also a few on the beach after I landed that had also decided to come in. Those that were still out were on their way back. Seemed like everyone was accounted for if they were with someone. Nast, nasty weather. Oh yeah and I sealed my cellphone in a water proof bag before launching making sure to leave some air in the bag so it would float. After landing the waterproof bag looked like it had been vacuum packed. Literally. Must have been a huge barometric pressure increase. Crazy. I'm praying for a window of good weather to get out there sometime this week.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Dennis

Just a question.. Does anyone check the current wind before leaving their house? From the webcam early this morning I noticed whitecaps, a crowd, and strobe light bar flashing. Checked the Torrey gliderport site and it read 25-30 from the West (not fun). Hope everyone got in safe.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Whizz Bang

That was nasty, Im wrapped in blankets and running coffee through an IV right now.....maybe tomorrow.

Fireman (thinking we are idiots): "Dont you guys have VHF?? They were broadcasting gale force winds..."

Me (thinking jeez, doesn't this guy know about the bite thats going on right now...): "Uhhmm, nope"

Having confirmed the fact that he was indeed dealing with idiots the Fireman says to us "Well, maybe you might want to ask for one for Christmas."

Indeed. Sorry to any guys out there who lost gear today. Maybe tomorrow, maybe Thurs...........
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
1Flatfish
Wayne

Maybe tomorrow

Be careful, the surf is supposed to be really big tomorrow.
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
DESTROYER

TOO MANY NICE DAYS IN SAN DIEGO TO FISH ONES LIKE TODAY. DON'T RISK YOUR LIFE FOR A FISH!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Moyer, my thoughts exactly!

And tomorrow will likely be huge residual surf. Too huge to launch.

/* Reposting */

Here is a link to my Shores kayaking conditions page, which contains a
bunch of good links related to La Jolla Shores area, along with experienced commentary:

http://larryl.com/favorite_kayak_conditions.htm

I posted this link along with a wind/conditions warning last night.

Hope this link helps.

Rule #325: Just because someone else is paddling out does not mean its a good idea.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Dean Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud9 View Post
Rule #325: Just because someone else is paddling out does not mean its a good idea.
Very true indeed.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Useful Idiot

Thank god you two got back with your lives. Dumb idea to launch today, I hope you're more careful next time.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Gino

The YT strike back!

Sounds like it was a Massacre out there!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Dean Machine

You two who? Yes, not a good idea to launch. The first mistake was launching, but I am full aware of my limitations in my kayak. Atleast I had the common sense to turn around unlike many others who waited until it was too late. I think I went about 200 ft. and called it quits. Today was well beyond what anyone could or should handle. I think that rule #325 says it the best. My launching may have encouraged others to do the same and that sucks since not everyone knows when they should call it quits. I know that I will not launch again when the wind is already that bad and expected to get worse.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Whizz Bang

And for the record, I never launched. Im not sure who you are talking about. I did stick around to help the guys who did launch pull their yaks and gear in.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
T Bone

tomorrow will be albacore weather.I was going to bring my skiff but after this thought better of it until the weather improves.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post

Having confirmed the fact that he was indeed dealing with idiots the Fireman says to us "Well, maybe you might want to ask for one for Christmas."

Indeed......way to man up...(substitute coffee)

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #14
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
And for the record, I never launched. Im not sure who you are talking about. I did stick around to help the guys who did launch pull their yaks and gear in.
My bad. Good call on the no go.