Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

G-Bay Report

Met up w MakoBob on Friday morning for a quick weekend getaway. The plan was to make a material run for our place in Baja and fish one day. We arrived to find Eod an Sven there a day earlier than expected so we all had dinner at the restaurant. Me and Bob had steaks that he had brought down and Sven and Eod had some fresh caught Sierra that the Cocinero cooked up quite nice. Dinner was bomb and it was decided we were going to launch in Gonzaga Bay from Alfonsina's the next day. We pre-ordered some breakfast burritos for the morning to grab on our way.

Woke up grabbed the burritos and we were on our way. Launched at Alfonsinas around 8:30 to perfect weather and glass like conditions. Sven said he knew were a reef was so they started pedaling out. It took me about an hour to get there as I didn't know it was half way to the main land. Haha Sven is a beast. The good news was once there we pretty much fished up and down the reef all day.

Felt a little tap on my first drop and begin to reel in what felt like nothing soon to realize I was sawed off by a sierra above the leader right thru the braid. Immediately lost my Kroc. Haha it wasn't even fair. Tied another one on and pulled up a pesky trigger fish.

Fishing was a little slow after that so decided to change to a small 1 oz megabait.
That seemed to be the golden ticket as I immediately got rocked by an unknown fish that seemed to pop off about half way up. I then pulled in a good eating size Rose Snapper that i decided to keep for the family. I caught and released about a dozen other fish mostly Sierra and bass.

Than the woulda, shoulda, coulda moment came as I met up with Sven and Eod. Sven had just told me we where in the same spot on the reef were he got his 50b WSB as I dropped down and got slammed! I fought this fish for about 20 minutes and could not gain anything on him. He pretty much owned me the entire time peeling drag run after run. I did everything I could but couldn't pull this thing up. After a long tug of war battle the mystery fish popped off. I pull up my megabait to find out that he completely straightened the hook. Whatever it was it was big and heavy it felt like a WSB but ill never know.

It was decided to make the long trek in as the wind started to kick up and I had a loong paddle back. Pulled up to Alfonsinas and had a few beers with the guys before we went back to camp. Me and Eod jumped on Bobs new quad in search for some Corvina. We picked up Jose the local there and we each caught a couple off the Krocs from the surf.

Had a fried chicken dinner at the restaurant that night w some Dos XX and called it a night. Good times w good people.

The second to last picture Bob was trying to hide from me as he didn't want to go home!

If your on next weeks trip here's my suggestions:

Definitely bring wire leaders or plan on losing lots of tackle. I lost 2 early before I decided to switch over.

Smaller baits seemed to be the ticket. All of us didn't do too well on the larger baits the fish seemed to like the small ones. All the bait in the water was 1-2 inches. I caught all my fish using smaller baits.

Upgrade your hooks on the smaller baits. I lost a heartbreaker to a straightened out hook.

Eat at the restaurant, its cheap and its good and there is no prep or cleanup. I haven't cooked down there the last 5 or 6 trips as it is super convenient. Just bring your snacks and drinks.

Bring sunglasses, I forgot mine and was practically blinded on the water the first half of the day. It really sucked!
Here's some pics of the trip.
Attached Images

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)

Last edited by SDROB; 10-11-2015 at 07:37 PM.
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Gr8fuldude

Thanks for the tips SDRob. I'll be bringing the smaller jigs with beefed up hooks next week. I'm also hoping someone can show me where that reef is.

Looking forward to meeting you someday on a trip down to BdG
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You are right Rob I did NOT want to came back even though I will be back in 6 days with a group of eager FISHERMEN. Looks like there will be a fly rod or two on this coming trip. Wish Kai could have made it down, oh well maybe next year.
If you guys look up SVENS post on his 1st WSB you will see the Jig he caught it on, old, beat up, bad split ring and hooks were straightened out. So Rob did not read it or forgot to use bigger, heaver hooks. Do not let that happen to YOU.
Tight lines and 6 days to paradise.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
taggermike

Great report. You're talking the restaurant at alfonsinas right? Nice place for sure. Sierra can empty your croc supply in no time. Buddha told me Bob makes spoons out of actual spoons from the second had store. Genius right there.
Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
taggermike

Great report. You're talking the restaurant at alfonsinas right? Nice place for sure. Sierra can empty your croc supply in no time. Buddha told me Bob makes spoons out of actual spoons from the second had store. Genius right there. I made a couple knife jigs out of heavy butter knives from the second hand store but haven't used them yet.
Mike
Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Actually Mike we are talking about the restaurant about 100 yards from Sueno del Mako. Makobobs place, 2 minute walk from my front door. You bring the meat and meal is $5.00 per person or you can eat off their menu. Add drinks and tip. As Rob said no prep, no clean up and two minutes to walk it. That EQUALS MORE fishing time for all. Use spoons AND forks to make jigs. Knifes work too! Mike you can cut the silverware to size you want, I usually get two jigs per. Cost to make about a buck each. Don't feel bad when you get rocked. Right NOW the sierra are thick, NO WIRE = NO JIG......................so?????Tight lines, 5 DAYS from now some of us will be catching. I think Rob lost a nice WSB day before yesterday. Maybe over 50#. Saw ROOSTERS cruising the beach again. Tight Lines, fishy dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Great report. You're talking the restaurant at alfonsinas right? Nice place for sure. Sierra can empty your croc supply in no time. Buddha told me Bob makes spoons out of actual spoons from the second had store. Genius right there.
Mike

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #7
taggermike

Thanks Bob. I need to try the other eating utensils lures. I really need to get down there with you guys. Mike