Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
909engineer
Junior

Sidekicks on 2007 Mirage Tandem

So I’m short and fat (5’8” 250lbs) and discovered my new to me mirage tandem is a bit tippy in the chop. Now we are looking into the Sidekicks and all reviews seem to be positive. On a longer boat like this guy and all the weight in the back, would it be most stable to put the outriggers behind the back seat or between the front and back seats? Not planning on sailing but might use the mast mount for a rod holder.

Pic is of a very similar Hobie.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2tUqTqQFkN7k7qwh7
909engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

I would put it in the back. I have my own a set of sidekicks and I think having a set in front would inhibit fishing and paddling.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
syecklamia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I would put it in the back. I have my own a set of sidekicks and I think having a set in front would inhibit fishing and paddling.
+1
syecklamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
summers in kuwait

One thing to consider on a tandem is if the amas are too far back, they may potentially not provide the same stability as when mounted more towards the middle. Another thought to consider is if you will be fishing solo or with a partner on your kayak.

I have a revo 16 and I mounted mine up front. There were a few reasons for this. 1. It provided the most ideal stability for sailing and 2. I was able to easily through mount the hardware, where behind the seat wasn't an option. Now I only use the amas when sailing. Here is a video of them in action on my boat. But I haven't had any issues fighting fish.

I would suggest dry positioning (don't permanently mount) the amas on the kayak. Sit in the boat and practice casting or extending the rod as if you were fishing, reaching forward over the bow and see whats comfortable and best for you. Also consider accessibly and the needed footprint for the amas and hardware.

Cheers!

I
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote