Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Phishphood

WSB head dropoffs...

Hey y'all...

So we really need to work on getting as many heads scanned for tags by Hubbs. I know there are quite a few of you here that don't normally turn them in. I'm curious, both as a fisherman as well as the guy that scans the heads what we can do to increase this.

Additionally, if you want to shoot me a PM when you catch one, I can try to work it out to pick up the head on my way in to work. No promises though, that's all on my own time and I would't get paid for it...

No matter where you drop your head, it's REALLY nice if you include a note with your name, date of catch, and a way to contact you. And pretty please... leave the cheeks and stones/otoliths in the head. If you take the cheeks there's a good chance you take the tag if it's a hatchery fish. If you want the stones, just request it with an address on the label and I'll remove them and send them to you.

Any questions that I can unofficially answer directly related to this stuff? Anything beyond the heads is strictly off limits for me...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
NICKWORN

culture

I think a lot of it has to do with going out of your way to drop these heads off, most locations are relatively spread out throughout San Diego. You even said it yourself, " I can try to work it out to pick up the head on my way in to work. No promises though, that's all on my own time and I would't get paid for it..."

Another thing that comes to mind is the stones, people want them as they are looked at as a personal success trophy.

Culture, My in-laws are Filipino and they would shit a brick house if i gave the most sought after part of the fish to some dude who wants do research on it. Asians love the heads for soup man.

Not storm I'm willing to walk through. Others maybe but not me man, sorry.

NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #3
fishnstix

Nick...what would you and your relatives do if there were no heads because the lack of research caused the fishery to be depleted???
fishnstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

They don't do research on the head unless it contains a chip. Otherwise they throw it away. If you have a DFG office near by, contact them and schedule a meeting time with the scientist and they will scan and return the head to you if it doesn't contain the chip.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
They don't do research on the head unless it contains a chip. Otherwise they throw it away. If you have a DFG office near by, contact them and schedule a meeting time with the scientist and they will scan and return the head to you if it doesn't contain the chip.
Not quite true but I think the intention behind this is right.

We still take measurements of all the heads whether tagged or not and any extra data included in the label helps, especially sizes, depth, water temp, gut contents, and sex.

That said, I totally get wanting to keep the head for your own use. If you can catch me when I'm actually at the Mission Bay facility, I can definitely scan and measure the head and get you on your way with the head (unless it's tagged). If that's something you're interested in, PM me and I'll send you my work email.

The Los Al Cdfw office could probably scan heads on short notice, but the SD office I'm not really sure about.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #6
Phishphood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with going out of your way to drop these heads off, most locations are relatively spread out throughout San Diego. You even said it yourself, " I can try to work it out to pick up the head on my way in to work. No promises though, that's all on my own time and I would't get paid for it..."

Another thing that comes to mind is the stones, people want them as they are looked at as a personal success trophy.

Culture, My in-laws are Filipino and they would shit a brick house if i gave the most sought after part of the fish to some dude who wants do research on it. Asians love the heads for soup man.

Not storm I'm willing to walk through. Others maybe but not me man, sorry.

Thanks for the response and no worries. Can't do too much about the spread of the dropoff sites but I'm trying to at least act as a semi mobile option.

About the stones, like I said if you request them to be returned on the label and include an address, I pull them out and ship them back to you at no charge.