Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
devilslock
Fish on !!

Cabrillo beach

Launch at 6am with my buddy it was very windy and ruff waves. Picked up some live bait (sardines) then paddle to the shallow water inside the break wall. We caught 5 halibuts the first one was 20 inches almost legal size so it was released. The second and third one was probably over 40inches or more we were not able to bring it in the dam line snapped twice we used 14lb test line and no good. The 4th and 5th halibut dam seal went after it later around 10am we cough a nice 14inch rock fish. A school of jelly fish were near the pier i accidentally hooked 2 at the same time as i was reeling in my sardine. Halibuts are still near the yellow pole in the shallow area. Rock fish midway by the kelp area.
Attached Images

devilslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Teambcw

thanks bro!
Teambcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

thanks for the info man. i've never caught a halibut there yet so i hope i can get one when i go tomorrow
Old 10-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
devilslock
Fish on !!

See if the bait barge has live squid the halibuts love those if not small anchovy don't use mackerel unless they are 4 inches. Good luck man
devilslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

I'd bump up to at least 20 pound leader if specifically targeting butts. Those teeth will shred smaller line pretty quick with the head shakes. The 14 is ok for the bass in the bay though.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

holy crap, tiny little dink baits?! i tried using chovies once and all i got where a ton of lizard fish. i will be trying to dropper loop for them around the yellow pole area (never been there). as well as along the deep side of those wooden pole markers (the 40-50ft spot). we'll see how i do. i'll also be lobstering at night, and then fishign for the butts in the morning. we'll see how that goes with space issues lol. thanks for the tips!
Old 10-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
socal.beach.bum

Will try my luck with the butts tomorrow as well. Thanks for the tip.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

ended up with the skunk. we got our baits raked REALLY BADLY 6 times. but those cormorants wouldn't leave us alone. and the bait barge only had some massive dines/macs with a $25 minimum purchase... and 90% of the bait died right away. oh well. maybe better luck next time. thanks for the tips though!
Old 10-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post
ended up with the skunk. we got our baits raked REALLY BADLY 6 times. but those cormorants wouldn't leave us alone. and the bait barge only had some massive dines/macs with a $25 minimum purchase... and 90% of the bait died right away. oh well. maybe better luck next time. thanks for the tips though!
At Cabrillo? Were you in a boat? Has been a $10 kayak scoop for years. BTW, I love those gigantic Sardines, but freshly caught ones will tend to die in the bait tank. Or slow pumps or too many. Come to think of it, Sardines are kind of finicky. I will skip the bait barge when they don't have bait that is at least 7" (I don't like to waste my time hassling over short fish). Every short fish you bring up and release is time that a bigger bait could have stayed in the zone. Bigger baits will not eliminate shorts, but they will reduce them substantially.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
SirFishsALot
Junior

^^ Good advice! Always learning from you guys.
SirFishsALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:15 AM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentek9 View Post

$25 for bait? You must be a really good tipper.

I spent many years buying bait from the barge and I also spent a ton of money on it. 1-2 trips a week, $9 for parking, $10-$15 for bait.......it gets expensive. Eventually, I started making my own bait, that saved me a ton of money. I was losing some fishing time in the process of making bait but I made up for it by launching earlier and getting on the bait spot at first light.

Its not uncommon to find greenbacks, Spanish macs and lizard fish in the harbor, all you need is a sabiki and a FF. It can get frustrating not being able to find bait but when you do you'll be glad you did because you just cut the cost of your fishing trip by %50 and you will have premium bait.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
Hunters Pa

Really easy to troll a sabiki to find bait while also looking for it on the ff. Add a heavy swimbat or jig on the bottom, you never know

Last edited by Hunters Pa; 10-13-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: add
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote