Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
PAL

New kayak fishing magazine seeking stories

Have you survived a close call this year? Got in over your head but lived to tell the tale? Learned some lessons the hard way, and are willing to share so others won't have to? I'd like to hear about it for a new national kayak fishing magazine printing this spring.

The column - called Happy Endings - is a gentle way to share safety advice.

I'm also interested in your trophy stories, particularly slick 'yak rigging and short fishing tips. Some of these are paid submissions; others may qualify for a merchandise prize.

It's winter. The weather is iffy. Let's show the nation what the west coast can do. Find me here via PM. And thanks!
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Welcome back LEBO!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Now where is that guy who went hooping in a inflatable?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

I think team sewer meets 8ft surf is a good one it wasnt pretty....but it was pretty funny if you were watching....ouch!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I think team sewer meets 8ft surf is a good one it wasnt pretty....but it was pretty funny if you were watching....ouch!
At least you guys got to fish, I never made it out

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
RockyRaab

I'm a professional outdoor writer from Utah. Is this a California-only or a saltwater-only publication?
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
PAL

Team Sewer! This I need to hear.

Thanks Andy, it's great to be back. Even logged some TOW on Tuesday with the Hobie crew. Got bent (wrong kind).

Rocky, our scope is everything North America, fresh and salt, so long as it pertains to fishy kayaking.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post

Thanks Andy, it's great to be back. Even logged some TOW on Tuesday with the Hobie crew. Got bent (wrong kind).

Rocky, our scope is everything North America, fresh and salt, so long as it pertains to fishy kayaking.
Nice meeting you on the beach Tuesday. Maybe now my sig will make more sense
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post

Did you get a lollipop?

Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Necron 99

Quote:
Nice meeting you on the beach Tuesday. Maybe now my sig will make more sense __________________
Assistant to the President of the Lollipop Guild
Is there a height limit on guild members? I saw the Wizard of Oz the other day and they were all pretty short.
Necron 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
fish doctor

i hunt out of my yak will that work
jim
fish doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
sharonkayak

If you want any pics with women holding up big fish on yaks let me know
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:

buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttchaser View Post
Quote:
Pretty good story from beginning to end. Has all the drama you could ask for in the beginning middle and end. Big fish too.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
StinkyMatt

Team sewer spends $2500 to launch 6 kayaks and land 2 fish at a local beach.

There is your headline.

One of the more articulate guys can tell the story. (and video)
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
PAL

Quote:
If you want any pics with women holding up big fish on yaks let me know
You bet I do Sharon! PM will be on the way shortly.

Quote:
Nice meeting you on the beach Tuesday. Maybe now my sig will make more sense
Oh, you're THAT Drake. It was very nice meeting you. I should have asked if lollipops come in beer flavor. That's the taste I was craving. Next time, and thanks.

Team Sewer. I have to hear about it from one of the guilty. No second hand stories, only volunteers. Who should I look for?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
jorluivil

I don't know if anyone else has video of that day but here is mine. I work graveyard so I showed up a few hours after the group launched and I was able to make it on the water, but that was about all I did.

">

Old 12-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

So Paul this is how I recall the story...we arrive somewhere in malibu in the dark before daybreak, with the hopes of catching a seabass. Me, Gregandrew, stinkymatt, roby, minh, were the first ones to arrive. We get unloaded and set to launch...it's still dark, and the surf is pounding. Since we cant' really see what were up against, but I can hear it....and it sounds intimidating...so I figure no pain no gain....So here we go, me and greg push off into the darkness....OH shit! the waves are bigger than I anticipated...wait...wait...paddle like crazy..!!! wait...wait..slam!!!!! I took a big one to the face..! Ok now kayak wont' move because its filled with water and I get pushed sideways....ok now straiten out here comes the next one...SLAM! Filled up again, spitting out water, but still ok...but considering a new hobby...Slam!...Ok am I going to survive this? ....Slam!!!!....I see greg finally make it past the kill zone....Slam! one more time and I'm able to survive, and I finally make it past the kill zone. I turn on my radio to see if the other guys made it and....not so much stinky matt got flipped. Oh well lets go fish!

So we finally get out to the seabass grounds and nothing much is happening. We start making squid and then the rest of the guys start to show up, but were short. "Wheres minh?", "oh he broke his paddle on the way out and went home"....little did we know he was just the first casualty. The seabass that day pulled a no show on us, but the log barracuda were plenty. We hear from jorge across the radio, hes finally here, ok see you guys in a minute....not so much....Finally John "Buttchaser" shows up after spending months fishing La Jolla for nothing. On his first drop he catches this fish.

So after loading the front hatch with limits of LOG BARRACUDA, i'm ride'n kinda low...we make the decision to go in. Me, John, stinkymatt, roby, greg, are right on the edge of the kill zone. We notice all the surfers out there...I decide to go in....whoa!!! that was a huge swell!!!! I make it over and greg can't believe I made it over...Ok no pain no gain...again...I'm following a huge set in and I notice that all of my forward momentum has stopped and I'm now getting sucked out fast...Oh shit!!! It's an 8 possibly even 10 footer! HOLY Crap! I'm thinking of what Sammons said in one of his videos...you can brace into a wave no matter how big it is.....so I turn broadside to the wave and tuck in, I lean as far a I could into the wave as I crashed right on my head...I remember telling myself..."goodnight!" SMASH! Everything went black. I'm now underwater with my waders, no lifejacket in giant surf, I'm screwed. I can't touch the bottom and I'm completely underwater. Slam again, by another wave, Im able to swim up and take abreath while another waves slams into me. After a few seconds...seemed like an eternity, I can now touch the bottom. I make my way into shallower water just in time to see my kayak wash up on the beach upside down. People are on the beach pointing out into the waves, yelling "look out!!!" I turn and theres another giant wave coming twards me unfortunately I cant move because now my feet have become water balloons, and I cant move very fast. I get knocked down by the wave. It happens at least 2 more times before I can make it to shore....that was not fun. I take a look at the damage...Im missing a rod...one of the rod leashes broke and the rod went by-bye. (Calstar 800m with a daiwa saltiga 30T...that's close to a $1000 dollar set up......) I take a look next to me and somebodys kayak washes in upside down.... Some one asks me hey is that your tacklebox out there? I turn and look...I said no that's just robys bait tank...as he is furiously trying to swim over to it. A couple of seconds after that stinkymatts kayak washes in upside down soon followed by Buttchaser John's...then I turn to my right and see Greg Andrews sliding in perfectly like there was no surf at all...I'm thinking WTF?

So I learned that yes, like Jim Sammons said you can brace into any size wave but will you make it right side up and all of your gear intact?....uh not neccessarily.

Well this is the story from my point of view and my recollection, if I missed anything the rest of the crew can fill in the blanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
PAL

Well told sir! I was right there with you, heart beating way too fast. That surf was mean. It has everything, even the big reward (that butt, LOG CUDA) before the bill came due. PM coming your way.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
PAL

Quote:
I don't know if anyone else has video of that day but here is mine. I work graveyard so I showed up a few hours after the group launched and I was able to make it on the water, but that was about all I did.
That last pile packed a wallop. I've only launched County Line one time way back. It looked a lot like that, a good ten minutes chilling in the foam zone before the window opened. Must have been an inferno of a bite to get so many guys out in that mess. Props.