Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
sammysamsam

Power pro spectra not so good?

I was looking different braid lines and brands and i saw this under power pro:
"Power Pro - We are discontinuing this line based upon several factors. First, customer feedback which has been increasingly negative - probably more a factor of recognition that there are better products now on the market. Secondly, Power Pro has not kept up with newer innovations, contrast that with Cortland and Jerry Brown. And, finally, these guys are now owned by a nameless bike company which we don't support. To further understanding, we now have been led to understand that Power Pro will now move production overseas, using an inferior Spectra copy. They'll try to belatedly jump on Jerry Brown's innovations of hollow core, with a knock-off product. No innovation, just parasitic marketing. Nope, we won't stock the stuff, and suggest to our clients that their money is better spent with those firms that offer true innovation."
http://charkbait.com/cs/cshL_Spectra.htm

i see people saying they use power pro over all this site and others. Am i missing something?
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

I think for the average to beginning angler the fact that Power Pro is such a popular name in the industry has a big impact on why so many people claim to fish with it. Heck, you can buy it at any sporting good store, its not like you are forced to go to a tackle shop to buy a spool. The fact that they are owned by Shimano also helps make them so prominent.
I personally see nothing special about PowerPro, I have used it, and was not impressed with its casting abilities. It's not a bad line, just nothing special.

The product that I stand behind is McCoy's braid. It cast great, cuts through kelp in the salt, and can rip a large mouth out from inside a brush pile. It is also made in the USA. I refuse to buy a foreign car... I like the same principle with fishing line.

http://www.mccoyfishingline.com/news...e_braided.html
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
pchen911

Sounds like politics between manufacturer and reseller. Not uncommon... manufacturer and reseller does not agree on terms, reseller no longer carries their product and badmouths manufacturer.

That's their own issue.

I do my shopping based on economics.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Billy V

Mark Smith the owner of charkbait HATES Shimano. They have been feuding for years. He doesn't carry any Shimano products at all because they price fix and will not allow the retailer to discount any of their products or they will stop selling them inventory.

PowerPro cuts kelp and I use it for that purpose. Its coarse because its either 4 or 8 strand. Its the best kelp cutter on the market. IMO.

Jerry Brown does the same thing and casts good. Its a 12 strand spectra weave so it doesn't feel as coarse. It ties very easy and probably my favorite.
Its a versatile line and works in several applications.

I have some C16 Cortland in 100 lb. hollow but I have not fished it yet. It splices good, but doesn't tie knots easy. It feels slick to the touch and is more flat than round.
Its thicker too.
I can only get 400 yards of C16 Cortland 100 lb. hollow on a HX
I can get 500 yards of JB 100 lb. hollow on the same reel.

Last edited by Billy V; 07-12-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #5
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

All that is just BS!!!
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
mrJB

The Charkbait/Shimano thing is long-standing. And it is about pricing. What doesn't make sense to me is that Charkbait sells other products at the "suggested" retail price (read FIXED price) such as Avet, etc.

Personally, I feel that the Shimano team (repair/waranty work) has always treated me as I would expect to be treated, as a valued customer. Not so much with some retail establishments.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
PapaDave

I thought every manufacturer set the retail prices... I recently tried the Daiwa line, much smaller diameter then the first line I got, casts well and seems to hold it's own. A little pricey though...
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Don't believe everything people tell you. The best way to find out what works is to try it out yourself. Looking for info on the internet is cool, but it's similar to playing the waiting game for the bite to show up on the internet. Basically you're going to miss it, as well as details you wouldn't know about unless you yourself go and find out. Don't be this guy
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I am all for supporting the products you like, but honestly as a business owner the bottom line is that it is more important to worry about what your clients think, and want to purchase than your own personal beliefs as to what someone should or should not use. If a client wants a retailers expert opinion then by all means give it, however it is just bad business to bad mouth the products you do not like: just do not endorse them. After reading his continual rants on their website about Shimano, PP, etc. I just choose to support someone more positive.

Although he does not have a Web presence, I Primarily shop from Joey down at Squidco because he has excellent customer service skills, he is always the cheapest, calls you by name, and will match Mark's Pricing on anything anytime. And he is a wealth of information!

As for Power Pro, there are fancier lines out there but remember that most of us are buying spectra for it's coarse kelp cutting ability. Smooth lines do not cut as good. Some of the other lines like JB, Izor, etc, are very nice for being smooth, casting quietly through the guides, staying knot free, and maintaining colors, but they are not quite up to par in the kelp cutting business. I have used Power Pro for more than 10 years and I have to say that I can only recall once that I cursed their line, and it was to be honest, probably more my line neglect than their product. And besides it is cheaper and more readily available than some of the other lines. Is it the best?... maybe not... but it works for me, and if it ain't broke... don't fix it.

Rant off...

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

The Kid said it best. try it all find what you like and go with it. I tried the hollow power pro, yeah not tying knots was nice but JB and Izor are still my favorites.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
sammysamsam

Thanks everyone for the insightful responses. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
dorado50

It's ok with me that Charkbait doesn't carry Shimano products I'll just go elsewhere if in need! But what a great store for all your San Diego tackle needs. I'll take six of those' ten of them, eight of these and throw in a couple spools of JB please...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
bmercury

powerpro is great. Strong, sensitive, etc...

That being said, there are much higher end braided lines than powerpro which have more strands/are rounder and thus may cast better or have other advantages.

Modern braided lines are just taking off, you can expect many advances in the future.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote