Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

i am bummed out

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #22
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Enforcing this (albeit the easiest is blatant fishing in a SMR) will be difficult to do. I mean it's not like there is physical markings that show these sections; crossing into the grid line a couple hundred yards is easy to do if you don't have a GPS.

The worst thing about MLPA is that because we are citizen's, we are required to have some innate sense about these laws (insofar as this isn't common disseminated knowledge). The exuse "Your Honor, I didn't know" will not suffice!

If the sign isn't posted where I launch....then I'm fishing there!!
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
PAL

I just finished combing through the OAL document. The maps at WON appeared accurate except for Laguna, where the Lat / Lons changed since the article went live. The story is once again up to date, but minus zoomed in views of the revised Laguna numbers.

For now the best I can do is the attached DFG map. If someone here can plot the these numbers on an aerial photo and zoom in to the boundaries, I'd appreciate the help.

Quote:

Laguna Beach SMCA (triangle blue section in detail map): No fishing!

Boundary Description

This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the

following points in the order listed:

Revised boundaries:

33° 30.800' N. lat. 117 45.631' W. long.;
33° 30.800' N. lat. 117 49.200' W. long.;
33° 30.050' N. lat. 117 49.200' W. long.; and
33° 30.050' N. lat. 117 44.771' W. long.

Laguna Beach SMR (above, in red): No fishing.

Boundary Description

This area is bounded by the mean high tide line and straight lines connecting the

following points in the order listed:

Revised boundaries:

33° 33.233' N. lat. 117 49.200' W. long.;
33° 30.800' N. lat. 117 49.200' W. long.; and
33° 30.800' N. lat. 117 45.631' W. long.

Here's the updated WON cheat sheet:

http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=9...lusive-maps%20
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laguna-mpa-complex (1).jpg (71.0 KB, 168 views)
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #24
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Well, just around the corner and here we go. Remember guys that they do annual assessments to dictate whether or not the closure has a positive impact on the area. The fight never stops! Keep up the hard work, thanks Paul, and make sure that everyone passes along the information. Majority of the anglers in California still have no idea what is about to happen. Educate each other. The fact is they are going to say the closures are working even though it will have no impact at all. That how they are going to get paid! Working together to prevent another year of this hopeless endeavor should be our next priority. I am occupying the area on the 1st, let's get it together and get people to notice.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #25
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post

No one outside the DFG knows with certainty how they will enforce the MPAs in the short term. They may start off with warnings. They may not. ALSO - the Jan 1 start date may not have the force of law. The state Administrative Procedures Act sets a 30-day timetable for new regulations to go into effect. That would put the date at Jan 8, not the 1st, but you better be ready to fight a citation in court. We may know more about this by the end of the week.

What happened at Dume in Malibu is a disgusting travesty. It's the same in Laguna. Those cities will never see dime one from me. I feel the same about Zev Yaroslavsky's LA County 3rd district. It's Malibu and part of the San Fernando Valley. Dead to me. Don't forget Surfrider's involvement, or Heal the Bay, San Diego Coastkeeper, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and so on.

That's enough for now.
Thanks again Paul. All mention orgs should be boycotted completely, esp smurfrider and hell the bay. Scratch Monterey aquarium off the list of places to visit.

I for one am not going down without a fight. Will be holding off buying my license til the day before I plan to go out, hell may even buy a one dayer.

I'm definitely gonna be pushing the envelope on this one as to where I can and can't fish, and the burden of proof will be up to them in court proving when and where I caught the fish I am legally allowed to take...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #26
JoeBeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
They are counting on $50,000,000 to come from our license purchases. I think a boycott and some fundraising to pay anyone fined may be an avenue to kick em in the nuts.
Give my fishing license money to Mexico instead. Some good fishing a jump across the border.......

This whole thing sucks!
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #27
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
Give my fishing license money to Mexico instead. Some good fishing a jump across the border.......

This whole thing sucks!
Funny thing about that. Well now if you want to fish Mexican waters and are within 12 miles of shore including ANY islands then you've got to get a Tourist Visa at $30 per day. Sucks huh!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
PAL

Quote:
Remember guys that they do annual assessments to dictate whether or not the closure has a positive impact on the area.
Unfortunately, that's not the case. The MLPA calls for 5 year assessments, however, baseline and ongoing research is necessary to track trends. So far, it hasn't happened.

Last year, the Coastside Fishing Club asked the Fish and Game Commission to suspend Central California MLPA-created MPAs because the mandated research hadn't been conducted. Nothing happened. AND, if it did, the same Packard grant chasers that steered the current closures would be the ones to do it. We have a long way to go to impose independent scientific oversight.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
Funny thing about that. Well now if you want to fish Mexican waters and are within 12 miles of shore including ANY islands then you've got to get a Tourist Visa at $30 per day. Sucks huh!
They saw what was coming here and are going to cash in. Guess I can't blame em'!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #30
driftwood

Type: Government-owned
On the web: http://www.dfg.ca.gov
The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) is dedicated to conserving the state's diverse habitat and wildlife. The agency strives to protect native ecological systems threatened by California's continued population growth and economic development. Its areas of focus include law enforcement, wildlife and water management, habitat restoration, public education, and environmental spill response. The Fish and Game Commission, consisting of five members appointed by the governor and the senate, develops policies to guide DFG. The agency receives funding from some 50 sources; its annual budget is more than $470 million.

The DFG has sold out! 50 powerful rich sources funding the DFG. as always, money always wins.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #31
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Unfortunately, that's not the case. The MLPA calls for 5 year assessments, however, baseline and ongoing research is necessary to track trends. So far, it hasn't happened.

Last year, the Coastside Fishing Club asked the Fish and Game Commission to suspend Central California MLPA-created MPAs because the mandated research hadn't been conducted. Nothing happened. AND, if it did, the same Packard grant chasers that steered the current closures would be the ones to do it. We have a long way to go to impose independent scientific oversight.
Ok so they're supposed to track trends over a 5 year period. I have my language all jumbled up.

So what kind of action can be taken if no research is conducted?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #32
Jim Sammons LJKF

Quote:
Where is this information from? First I have heard this one
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #33
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:

hahahaha so they close all these areas, which according to their "science" are currently devoid of life to protect them, then in five years they go back and say "holly crap!!!! now there's huge wsb, yt and hali's around and the BSB have made an amazing recovery!! SEE, MPA's WORK!!!"
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #34
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
It just posted on WON's home page.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #35
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
It's not set in stone yet, but a couple of weeks ago the Malihini was out on a 3/4 day and they were told to turn around by the Mex Navy (whether that is directly due to the lack of passports or Visas I am not sure). So then SAC had to discuss the final decision on the new tourist with the Mexican government on the Visa requirement in Mexico. This has been going on for the last few weeks. As of 12/9/11 it was seen on some landing website that there was the imposed fee of $30 for the new Visa.

I was talking to a lot of guys down at the landings and this is pretty much a done deal according to them. I hope this is wrong and I'm just scaring all of you however I have heard from several people who have been following the new proposal closely and it doesn't look good at all.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #36
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
They are counting on $50,000,000 to come from our license purchases. I think a boycott and some fundraising to pay anyone fined may be an avenue to kick em in the nuts.
Great thought about the fundraising to cover those fined. One problem is those who only fish freshwater aren't likely to join the group, and get behind a boycott. Also, unfortunately they probably outnumber us saltwater fishermen.
A huge occupation of the south La Jolla closure, by kayakers and private boaters on Jan 1st, with a few news stations contacted ahead of time, might help in an another appeal process, to overturn this ridiculous closure, if that is even possible, anymore. Maybe open up the possibility of these closures being put on a general election ballot, to be overturned. I'm just speculating. If we could get a turn-out like a Moyer tournament, plus boaters, or even more than that, with news Helicopters televising a mass occupation, it could turn some heads. Or is this just wishful thinking?
Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #37
Nic D

Quote:
As of 12/9/11 it was seen on some landing website that there was the imposed fee of $30 for the new Visa.
if this is true then anyone visiting TJ will have to have a visa. Mexico, don't be this stupid. If Mexico passes this, they must not want our tourism money.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #38
dorado50

I doubt Mex. will shoot themselves in the foot with these "new visas" . I have not heard of any difinitive actions on behalf of Mex. gov. at this point in time. I'm betting it will not go into effect!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #39
Nic D

I hope so Dave.

So here is the California Constitution regarding fishing. So whats going to happen the first time some one is issued a ticket for fishing in a MLPA and holds this article up in court. Will it hold up?

Im interested in seeing if how hard its patrolled? If we're out bass fishing and releasing everything we catch, will they write us a ticket? Only one way to find out.

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the
State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be
passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water
containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;
provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season
when and the conditions under which the different species of fish
may be taken.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #40
ChefT

Quote:
CAN I GET THE FIRST KICK....

Can we start a BWE fishing license fund.... and donate it to charity like HUBS
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote