Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Baja_Traveler

So - how long was the drive from Bob's place to Hwy 1? We are heading down to San Ignacio Lagoon first week of March, and I'm considering taking the 5 because the road around Catavina is such a pothole disaster...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Dannowar

Trip Report San Diego to Cabo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
So - how long was the drive from Bob's place to Hwy 1? We are heading down to San Ignacio Lagoon first week of March, and I'm considering taking the 5 because the road around Catavina is such a pothole disaster...

It's a different road there than on the way back. Very narrow and totally cuts cocos corner completely. We did it in the dark and it still wasn't horrible. Keep your gps on and as long as you're pointing at the road perpendicular you're good

But to answer your question I'd say 30-40 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Denis_Ruso

Great trip report, same as Rob let me know if you even need a seat filled for a trip further south. Cool to see another skim boarder on here.

I stayed at the Solmar resort a couple of years back and got absolutely wrecked by a few waves skim boarding there, but also had some of the deepest barrels of my life.

Don't know if you've seen the locals skimboarding down there but Bullo and Scott Flores absolutely tear it up down there.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
Great trip report, same as Rob let me know if you even need a seat filled for a trip further south. Cool to see another skim boarder on here.

I stayed at the Solmar resort a couple of years back and got absolutely wrecked by a few waves skim boarding there, but also had some of the deepest barrels of my life.

Don't know if you've seen the locals skimboarding down there but Bullo and Scott Flores absolutely tear it up down there.

I've been going to lovers since I was 16. Been wrecked so many times I can't keep track. This was the first time I've ever seen it dead flat. Oh well. Added you to my call list. Cheers!!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
MrPukaShell

Great report and thanks for sharing.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
CON KSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
I cross at Tecate (avoid Mexicali bullshit) through to San Felipe, Gonzaga and out to Laguna Chapala this is the ONLY way I drive south. I much prefer it over TJ/SQ etc. - I hate that stretch of Baja.

From where the dirt road starts past Gonzaga Bay to the pavement at 1 it's 21 miles of dirt. It takes me 1.5 hours because I drive slow (4x4 Tundra with double kayak trailer) there's a llantera at the end of dirt road if you need to get a flat fixed.

I was just down Dec. into January - there are some big potholes just outside of Jesus Maria. The road was good over Thanksgiving but between November and December it's gone to shit again.

There's some big potholes as you wind up the hill outside of Nuevo Rosarito - big enough to slow the big trucks down to get through them without swerving into oncoming traffic.

Good luck.
CON KSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
ceviche eater

Wow great trip and great report!
ceviche eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Such a cool report! Thank you for sharing