Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Deamon

Night Fishing...One Googan's Take

I'd like to preface this by saying...I am by far nowhere near an expert. I have been lucky enough to get some by way of "ground and pound", usually as a weekend warrior. I'll always have those memories and priceless pictures. I no longer have to say "once in a lifetime" unless we're talking about 60# wsb or 40# halibut...those are my current goals. I have a 52# yellow but that was on a boat (in LJ!)...so in my yak world, doesn't count. I want a 50# tail while sitting on top of a piece of plastic. Okay, okay, one of those wsb by way of hook and hand (that I happily grabbed like a little bitch) but I digress, this thread is about night fishing and I NEVER hand off a quality fish so don't ever think about it, lol. If we eliminate sharks, bat ray and sand bass in "open waters", we're talking about the ghost...WSB. Yes, I've seen one tail caught at night and plenty of butts in the gray but rarely...in the dark so let's focus and not muddy the waters...I believe I have gone out often enough to share some of my theories. I'm not looking to get second guessed or poo poo'd. Just close this thread out if you believe I'm a faker...this isn't being written for you. My goal is to set up some night trips...soon...with steady, experienced guys to help crack the wsb code...fishing...err, catching without live squid. I know there's a string of guys just like me as I talk to them and read their BWE wishes often. My belief is if we can get a string of guys, fishing under good conditions, we'll have a better, safer chance at cracking this code. The swordfishing off Florida was basically non-existent (besides by-catch) until some guys figured it out.

And I'm not giving up anyone's secrets shared to me over a beer (or for money) as I have had to take the long hard road of trial and error...old school ways. I have usually...gratefully...hung with good dudes on these night trips...key word is usually, lol. Very, very good fisherman who are well prepared, experienced and steady on the water and have the same strong desire to go on a sleigh ride in the dark. That's usually what it takes...even after MANY multiple zip trips while throwing in some near death experiences to learn from...lol. Oh by the way...zip mean zero...nada...all night. I can look back and laugh about some of the clown chances we took at times but while in the moment, spooky, spooky as shit played out. Whatever problems one has during the day, multiply the intensity at night.

I do know I want to crack the WSB code or even just a piece of it...Let's start with real facts:
WSB are around whether squid show or not...
These fish must eat and they can be very opportunistic/lazy and very willing to take many types of bait, fresh dead or live...on heavy tackle
These fish are called ghosts for a reason. They eat at night.

The weather and beach must offer doable conditions. To me, when the squid are not around, our chances are even less. After a full night on the water, the rest of my weekend is shot trying to recover, lol. The family gets snubbed out by me, the zombie. All factors that have to be considered.

Oh well, it's bed time. If there's any interest in me finishing this thread out...just chime in and start looking at your night schedules and maybe we can give it a go soon...a good friend who now lives on the East Coast used to always say..."if you wait to hear about a bite in order to go fishing, it's usually over by that time. Let's go find our own bite"...Jim

Last edited by Deamon; 03-11-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I'd like to preface this by saying...I am by far nowhere near an expert. I have been lucky enough to get some by way of "ground and pound", usually as a weekend warrior. I'll always have those memories and priceless pictures. I no longer have to say "once in a lifetime" unless we're talking about 60# wsb or 40# halibut...those are my current goals. I have a 52# yellow but that was on a boat (in LJ!)...so in my yak world, doesn't count. I want a 50# tail while sitting on top of a piece of plastic. Okay, okay I do have one QUALITY wsb by way of hook and hand (that I happily grabbed like a little bitch) but I digress, this thread is about night fishing and I NEVER hand off a quality fish so don't ever think about it, lol. If we eliminate sharks, bat ray and sand bass in "open waters", we're talking about the ghost...WSB. Yes, I've seen one tail caught at night and plenty of butts in the gray but rarely...in the dark so let's focus and not muddy the waters...I believe I have gone out often enough to share some of my theories. I'm not looking to get second guessed or poo poo'd. Just close this thread out if you believe I'm a faker...this isn't being written for you. My goal is to set up some night trips...soon...with steady, experienced guys to help crack the wsb code...fishing...err, catching without live squid. I know there's a string of guys just like me as I talk to them and read their BWE wishes often. My belief is if we can get a string of guys, fishing under good conditions, we'll have a better, safer chance at cracking this code. The swordfishing off Florida was basically non-existent (besides by-catch) until some guys figured it out.

And I'm not giving up anyone's secrets shared to me over a beer (or for money) as I have had to take the long hard road of trial and error...old school ways. I have usually...gratefully...hung with good dudes on these night trips...key word is usually, lol. Very, very good fisherman who are well prepared, experienced and steady on the water and have the same strong desire to go on a sleigh ride in the dark. That's usually what it takes...even after MANY multiple zip trips while throwing in some near death experiences to learn from...lol. Oh by the way...zip mean zero...nada...all night. I can look back and laugh about some of the clown chances we took at times but while in the moment, spooky, spooky as shit played out. Whatever problems one has during the day, multiply the intensity at night.

I do know I want to crack the WSB code or even just a piece of it...Let's start with real facts:
WSB are around whether squid show or not...
These fish must eat and they can be very opportunistic/lazy and very willing to take many types of bait, fresh dead or live...on heavy tackle
These fish are called ghosts for a reason. They eat at night...

The sad fact of my reality is I'm just a weekend warrior which make my chances even less. I'm left with a Friday or Saturday night. The weather and beach must offer doable conditions. To me, when the squid are not around, our chances are even less. After a full night on the water, the rest of my weekend is shot trying to recover, lol. The family gets snubbed out by the me, the zombie. All factors that have to be considered.

Oh well, it's bed time. If there's any interest in me finishing this thread out...just chime in and start looking at your Friday night schedules and maybe we can give it a go soon...a good friend who now lives on the East Coast used to always say..."if you wait to hear about a bite in order to go fishing, it's usually over by that time. Let's go find our own bite"...Jim
Jim you will be in the bite next week, Gonzaga at night, well let's ask Sven. He will be there. They might be BIGGER in the night.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
kayakfisherman

I'll join your dumb butt for some night time fun.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
momo fish

Jim and now Yanni, count me in as well..

Been doing enough zip trips learning the ropes and trying different methods.. Night fishing in LJ looks a lot more fun and less scary given the lights of the shore than Malibu..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
easyday

I'm in, I work until 10 or so on Fridays and work early sat mornings. I will switch shifts and do what I can to be out there.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
Chuck D

Your building and army, I will join you on your quest. As long as it is during the summer. Baja, 3 days and counting...
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Aquahunter
Crazy Deaf Cuban Redneck

Count me in, new experience!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
The sad fact of my reality is I'm just a weekend warrior which make my chances even less. I'm left with a Friday or Saturday night. The weather and beach must offer doable conditions. To me, when the squid are not around, our chances are even less. After a full night on the water, the rest of my weekend is shot trying to recover, lol. The family gets snubbed out by me, the zombie. All factors that have to be considered.
Preach it brother, same here. I'm in as well
Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Weekend Warrior here too... I'm in for a Friday Night or Saturday Night if I get enough lead-time.

addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
socal.beach.bum

Well if you insist.... I'm in
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Fishing at night drives me crazy! sensory overload and under load at the same time!............com on grey light!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Dannowar

Jim, you realize the more people that go with you, the less chance your trophy lands on YOUR lap.......

Oh and I've seen seabass feed during the day. About an hour after sunrise, on a certain tide, with a certain current....
Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
Cbad Mike

Jim,
you know I'm in!

For everyone who hasn't done it before,
Fishing at night is a lot different. As Andy said, "sensory overload" . I don't take dramamine during the day but ALWAYS at night. There have been more than a couple of nights that I was asking myself what in the hell was I thinking and if I was stupid. I've been out by myself and have actually screamed like a bitch a few times. I had a seal jump the nose of my kayak in the pitch black that almost caused me to poop my waders. Birds can even give you a scare and it seems like whales like to come a little closer in the dark. Bait for me has always been non existent except when there are squid. I've caught a few things at night but nothing to brag about. I always find myself thinking the same thing Andy said, "cmon grey light" .
I'm not trying to scare anyone away from fishing at night for the first time. Just be prepared. It is just something totally different. You might not catch anything but you can always brag that you did it.

I'm ready to go whenever!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #14
DanaPT

I've wanted to do this at San O. but LJ works too with planning. I'd be into this for sure.

To ease pressure in any one spot may be a good idea to have a "crack the code" tour. Coming to a launch near you!

PMs about when and where would be much appreciated.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Consider me in. I for one would love the opportunity. I have prepared for this, my kayak is glow in the dark.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=21626
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
Hunters Pa

I'm in, not that I can contribute much. Can we get Yanni to cook breakfast for us on the water, Mad Scientist style??
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote