Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
wavster

Marine Radio Recommendation

I'm shopping for a marine radio and I have no clue as to what features are necessary or
just bells and whistles that aren't used.

Anyone care to share what they're using and what features are necessary and what is superfluous?

Thanks.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
esdees
The Good Clone

VHF radios are pretty standard, feature wise. Transmitting and receiving is optional, but it must be submersible if you want it to last. Also, get a dry bag for it. What bells and whistles have you seen?
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post

Anyone care to share what they're using and what features are necessary and what is superfluous?

Thanks.
One that warns you when you are about to troll over someone elses lines, especially if they have a fish on .

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Handymansd
Ancient Member

I have a Uniden Voyager and I would not recommend it to anyone! It says it is submersible... ya right. This is my second one, (returned the first) and, both have malfunctioned leaving me with no radio after getting splashed in the surf going out.Both radios have also had trouble with the Squelch/Volume combo knob.

So I am also looking for any recommendations on a good unit... Maybe even with FM for those slow days otw?

I would like to have 1/5 Watt that is waterproof. Or is that just a myth?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

lol, OUCH

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

Get a decent dry bag. I don't like the volume/squelch combo control on mine, either.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
madscientist

My experience thus far has been:
West marine brand (I've had 2) have a really shitty gasket around the battery compartment that wears out quickly. And the battery recharge contacts go fast.
Standard Horizon (I have one) goes to crap quickly if it gets wet. I can hear fine but I sound terrible. Someone said they have a problem with mikes corroding.
Icom floating waterproof version is what I have now. So far, so good.

Dry bags are useful only if you take it out every time. Otherwise, its sealed in a humid environment and corrodes faster (discovered the hard way). I quit using one and just go with a floating keychain attached.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
dgax65
Guerro Grande

There are a lot of features to choose from when looking at a radio. Some brands might have a special feature that is unique, but for the most part, radios features are similar between brands. Most brands will have similar features on radios within a given price range. Most basic radios are waterproof and can receive the WX broadcasts. As you go up in price you'll see dual monitoring or scanning and longer-life Li-ion batteries. Top-end models might be able to monitor multiple bands (FRS/air/WX/AM). The high-end units may also have DSC calling features, GPS interface and a metal chassis. The selection of features will come down to the individual. Are you going to need to monitor multiple channels at the same time? Sometimes I'll monitor both 16 and 71 at the same time. I certainly don't need to do that all the time, but it is convenient. Do you need to receive WX broadcasts? You could check websites for info just before you go out and get just as much, if not, more information; however, if you are going to be on the water for 10 hours, you might want some updates. Do you need DSC capability? That depends on who you want to talk to. GPS interface? While that is a nice safety feature, I can only imagine that, if you really were in a dire situation and needed to send a DSC distress call, you might not be able to find the interface cable, successfully attach the cable without getting water in the jacks and hold both radio and GPS as you try to make the call. Sounds like too much for a kayak. If you're going so far offshore that you need worry about DSC distress calls, you might as well get an EPIRB. Look at the features and ask yourself "when would I use that."

I don't think you could go wrong with a Standard Horizon or an Icom. Both are very well made and should last for years with a few precautions.
I've had a couple of Standard Horizon radios that I've been using for years. They are very rugged and surprisingly corrosion resistant. My radio is always in the mesh pocket of my PFD and it frequently gets wet. No problems with corrosion-an occasional spray of T-9 Boeshield and it looks like new.
I prefer small radios that fit in the pocket of my PFD. If size is a deciding factor for you, maybe you should look at the Standard Horizon HX471S or an HX600S. Both have all the bells and whistles. The 471 is the old model and you might be able to find some good deals on one. I don't know if I'd want to pay extra for the HX600. It has a more powerful speaker, but the big change is an interface port for a GPS. The HX500S might be a better deal. It is the same size as the 600, but without the superfluous features.

The Icon IC-M88 is another very capable unit with a small form factor. You can even get an optional, fully waterproof speaker/mic (even with JIS-7 waterproof standards, most waterproof radios have exposed speakers). This radio also has 22 programmable channels for land mobile use. This could be useful if you do a lot of camping/road trips. Not necessary if you just want an "one-the-water" radio. The IC-M72 is a little larger (won't fit in a pocket), but has a 6W output. It is a very nice unit with a long-life battery.

I have not personally used Uniden or West Marine radios, but I have heard some negative comments about them. From what I gather, they are not as durable as the quality brands. If cost is the driving factor, then they may be the right choice. West Marine has a good selection of radios that cover the entire price range: see catalog.

The extended warranty is always a good idea.

Last edited by dgax65; 06-06-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: more info
dgax65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
FISHIONADO

I've used these radios, all from West Marine:

Cobra 2-pack - $80 - No features to speak of, low power transmit, not waterproof but comes with two dry bags.

West Marine VHF250 - $160 - 5W, includes AM/FM and worked great for 6 months, the loudspeaker finally failed from repeated wetness. West Marine swapped it for a new one and I didn't even have the receipt with me. They were out of stock on the VHF250 so I upgraded to the Standard Horizon HX600S.

Standard Horizon HX600S - ~$200 - 5W, includes AM/FM and works decent. The AM/FM isn't as good as the VHF250, I can usually only listen to FM 105.3 and 94.1 and AM 760 without static.

If I needed to buy one today I would go with the West Marine brand with extended warranty and just plan on swapping it within a year. The saltwater kayak environment is so abusive (maybe it's just me), you can't really expect a long life for anything out there except the operator, we hope.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymansd View Post
I have a Uniden Voyager and I would not recommend it to anyone! It says it is submersible... ya right. This is my second one, (returned the first) and, both have malfunctioned leaving me with no radio after getting splashed in the surf going out.Both radios have also had trouble with the Squelch/Volume combo knob.
I couldn't agree more about the Voyager. I've gone through a few as well. If it gets wet at all it is useless until it drys out. It give a low voltage alarm (a constant tone) and can't be used. That is the worst POS radio ever made.

NEVER, NEVER EVER BUY ONE! That's the Uniden Voyager.

I hear standard horizons are much more durable. But any radio I buy will be kept in a dry bag.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote