Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Randog

Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT - Deal or Not?

Hi All,

I am very new to kayaking and am looking to make my first purchase.

I may have an opportunity to purchase an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT with:

-Kayak
-Full Seat
-Paddle
-Tie Rope
-Day bag
-2 gaspachi hatches

All for $460.

Is this a good deal?

Thank you in advance,

Randy
Randog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Jim Sammons LJKF

I think for a bit more money you could find a much better kayak for a good price.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
Randog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
I think for a bit more money you could find a much better kayak for a good price.
OK - This is great to know. As I said I am very new to this sport. I guess that is obvious since I don't even have a kayak yet.

I suppose it is good that this kayak does not work out because I am still saving money for a purchase.

Are there any reccomendation for brands and models?

Thank you very much for your help

-=R=-
Old 06-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #4
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
Randy,

It depends on what a good deal to you is... what do you plan on using it for? Honestly, I'm sure the other members would agree, there are many other far better fishing kayaks out there and I've seen them rigged and ready to fish for under $900.

Here's an article on choosing a fishing kayak that you may like to read.

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/choosin...hing_kayak.asp

I'm sure DGax will post the links to 15 other such articles soon. He's good like that.

Believe me, I know the excitement that comes with the desire to buy a kayak, (I was fiending this time last year myself) but haste can only pay off with a bad decision and I'm glad I did my homework before my purchase. Do your research with comparisons and price shop for the best buy. Be honest about your abilities and expectations. Choose a yak that fits you for your size, shape, usage, etc. If it were me offered that kayak, I'd pass it up... but that's just me.

Good luck,
Andy
Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
Randog

I am so glad I came here for advice. I think it best that I take my time and do a lot more reading. As I said above, the time I used to save more money will work with the time I need to do my research.

Thank you very much for the insight and taking the time to respond.

Cheers,

-=R=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeelaagee View Post
Randy,

It depends on what a good deal to you is... what do you plan on using it for? Honestly, I'm sure the other members would agree, there are many other far better fishing kayaks out there and I've seen them rigged and ready to fish for under $900.

Here's an article on choosing a fishing kayak that you may like to read.

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/choosin...hing_kayak.asp

I'm sure DGax will post the links to 15 other such articles soon. He's good like that.

Believe me, I know the excitement that comes with the desire to buy a kayak, (I was fiending this time last year myself) but haste can only pay off with a bad decision and I'm glad I did my homework before my purchase. Do your research with comparisons and price shop for the best buy. Be honest about your abilities and expectations. Choose a yak that fits you for your size, shape, usage, etc. If it were me offered that kayak, I'd pass it up... but that's just me.

Good luck,
Andy
Old 06-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
greens
Junior

choosing a first Yak

My biggest word of advise is go paddle several yaks then start to look for the DEAL. Someone could give you a yak but if you don't like to paddle it or can't load it then it's worthless. So go to the local yak shops and test paddle all the popular brands. Then you can make an educated choice on what a good deal is. Take this from someone that has gone through 3 already and am still looking for the perfect yak for me. Good luck and hope to see you on the water.

Greens
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
bradmaralbacore

DUDE NOOOO CENTER GASPACHI HATCH! dont purchase it if it has this hatch, go on google and type in "scrambler XT hatches" and there will be 100+ hits to why you shouldnt put it in, it floats below the water line and you are in serious danger of sinking
bradmaralbacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Jim Sammons LJKF

As stated in most replies to questions like this. It is impossible to give a good recommendation for a kayak without knowing your size, height weight, area you will be paddling and paddling experience. Are you comfortable on the water or do you need a kayak super stable so that you never even come close to going in.
You can answer some of these questions by taking a test paddle of some different kayaks or take a class.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
jimmyshark

Hey randy,
I am going to sell my Prowler 13 w/ seat paddle, and rod holders, two hatches for $600 obo. It's titanium blue with yellow letters.

Let me know if you want pics.

jimmyshark32@yahoo.com
James
jimmyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #10
trob

Send a message via AIM to trob
that is a great yak (just so you know).
trob is offline   Reply With Quote