Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Hammerhead_77

Sunday 11/22 - SD bay

Beautiful day on the bay Sunday. Launched early from shelter island and got caught up in a 45 minute wait for bait as everybody headed off shore for the late season YTF frenzy. But, we were going after 'butts so bait was kinda required. Ended up with a really nice mix of mega-dines, mini-dines and chovie.

Met about 6 other kayakers fishing the point loma side, but didn't get any names. Nice, cordial crowd.

The fish were biting like crazy... Tons and tons of raked baits made me re-rig for a stinger hook. nose hooking and butt hooking the larger dines cut down some on the bites from what must be the ping pong paddles.

Ended up with 4 shorts, 1 keeper, and a really nice hookup with something very heavy that bit through the leader (I'm gonna say big 'butt). Also got a a dozen or so really chunky spotties... Couldn't get them on the swim bait but they were all over the dines and chovies. My partner got 3 shorts and a nice promar connical lobster hoop that he snagged his stinger hook on.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

What depth do you recommend for this time of year? It's pretty shallow around there, isn't it?

I got a heavy bent pole on the edge of the channel, Zuniga jetty side, about 50' deep. Maybe it was a big butt, or maybe it was an underwater cable, pipe, etc., LOL

I caught a few mackerels on the way out trolling an X-Rap. Caught a nice Calico on the X-Rap too. He lived to see another day.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-23-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Hammerhead_77

35 to 45 feet seemed to be the best bet. Only got one bite in the 28 foot range.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead_77 View Post
35 to 45 feet seemed to be the best bet. Only got one bite in the 28 foot range.
Thank you. That has been my experience on the east side of the channel for the past few weeks as well. As we approach winter fishing opportunities, I keep thinking I should be exploring the 60-80 foot locations. Maybe not.

On the other hand, Springtime is eternal in San Diego

I'm a noob who is still having fun feeling his way around to many locations. I am looking for likely locations where large halibut lurk. I prefer to leave the little guys alone to grow and multiply.

---

Does anyone know if the east side of Zuniga jetty around Zuniga Shoal is productive now, or is that too shallow for winter fishing?

Or what about Wreck Alley off of Pacific Beach along the 60-70' contours?

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 11-24-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
Hammerhead_77

Mr Niceguy.... let's tee one up. Launch out of dog beach/SD river mouth just south of the Mission Bay jetty and see what we can do out there at the 60-70-80 foot curves.