Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #21
Iceman
Administrator

FYI I have never even tried putting the seat in the high position. Even calm seas have a rolling swell that can surprise your center of gravity when shifting around. Bow hatch is just lashing hooks and eyelets. I have replacements in stock, bring it by for an easy fix.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #22
Gr8fuldude

Thanks for swallowing your pride and putting your story out there so that everyone can learn from your experience, including me. I'm not a rookie at this point, but I'm closer to being a rookie than an expert . By starting this thread you've helped raise everyone's safety awareness, and that is a very good thing
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #23
DanaPT

Glad you are okay. Get back on the horse. Surf launches still give me heibi jeibis.

Good news practice makes perfect.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #24
Ddwineguy

First time kayak fishing was....an experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
FYI I have never even tried putting the seat in the high position. Even calm seas have a rolling swell that can surprise your center of gravity when shifting around. Bow hatch is just lashing hooks and eyelets. I have replacements in stock, bring it by for an easy fix.

Props to Andy for all the help in offering to get this guy back on the water. Be sure and support OEX, they host this sight and are all around the most helpful dudes out there.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #25
maquinapescado

I would take your kayak to Andy (Iceman) at OEX Sunset. Have him look at your set up so you can get the rod leashes, bilge pump and replacement parts. Once you get all dialed in, drop it in the water 30' from his shop and let the test trial commence. Maybe scale back on your rods and reels as far as cost.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #26
FullFlavorPike

On the upside, you'll never have a worse time fishing ever again.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

As long as you come back safe, the rest sounds like a pretty valuable learning experience.

Welcome back!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #28
M4TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Ouch Matt, that is not the way you want the first trip to go. My first outing in the ocean was very similar about 20 years ago. Send me a pic of the broken attachment, I may have replacement part. Did you have the neoprene bow second seal in place? If just the battery, bring it by and I will swap it out, hopefully that will help get you to next weeks tourney Keys and phone, I use a dry bag or Pelican case. Rod leashes are a good idea when getting the hang of things. hand bilge is a good safety item. Glad you were not out alone and made it in OK.
Wow Andy thats awesome. thank you!! i just shot you a PM about the battery & hatch.

yes my neoprene bow seal was on but i feel like it doesn't do much if the front hatch isn't secured down by the bungie. i could be wrong..

i'll definitely look into a case for my phone...when i eventually get another one. lol

thanks again! OEX is the best!
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #29
momo fish

Next time you decide to head out shoot me a PM and I'll at least come out to give you some pointers and look over your setup if I'm not able to head out..

The pier area while good to learn to launch if no surf is not really an area to fish.. But at least coast guard is right there with a boat to come out in a minute if anything does happen..

There are far easier launches with far better fishing nearby that are unknown to 95% of kayakers..

Good luck
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #30
Mahigeer

I am new to kayaking too, so I have been taking my "less expensive" rod and reels. Even with all leashed.

I plan to do some self-rescue using a float at the paddle when the water gets warmer inside the jetty at Redondo beach.

Ocean must be respected at all times.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #31
Orca Winfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I am new to kayaking too, so I have been taking my "less expensive" rod and reels. Even with all leashed.

I plan to do some self-rescue using a float at the paddle when the water gets warmer inside the jetty at Redondo beach.

Ocean must be respected at all times.
Completely agree with self-rescue practice. For me, it was harder than it looks on all those YouTube videos. Also do it with your PFD on. My PFD kept getting caught on the edge of my yak and I couldn't pull myself in until I figured out what was going on.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #32
Denis_Ruso

Wow man, glad you are ok and made it back to shore with your kayak. This is why we usually recommend the harbor so you can get your gear dialed in.

I recommended minimal gear for this exact reason. I wouldnt even bring your bait tank with you for your first few times out. Extra stuff to manage and loose if you flip.

Leave the bait tank at home next time, leash your rod, buy a small waterproof box from wallmart for 8$ for your keys and cellphone, fix the hatch and use and old boogie board leash for your paddle leash. That should cover all your basics.

Hope you stick with the sport, and keep at it. It can only get better from here!

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #33
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Hard to imagine that much water getting past the neoprene seal that fast. Maybe it entered through the center hatch? I wouldn't think a dunking would kill the battery either.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #34
M4TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
Hard to imagine that much water getting past the neoprene seal that fast. Maybe it entered through the center hatch? I wouldn't think a dunking would kill the battery either.
i'm guessing that the way the water got into the hull so fast was when i flipped the kayak to get back in? I honestly have no clue but when i tried to get back in the yak, i immediately flipped and that was when i saw the kayak on its side. The only logical explanation was the front hatch not being completely secured since everything else (including the center hatch) was shut.

The battery along with my phone and everything else was completely submerged until i realized it about 1-2 minutes later. could've been longer. I honestly don't recall, everything happened in what felt like 10 seconds.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #35
M4TT

i really appreciate all the support guys and i'm not going to give up. If anything, it'll be that much sweeter when i finally catch a fish.

Thanks again to Andy at OEX for helping me out and i'll se you guys at the MBC with a trout set up. lol