Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Scubasteve382
Junior

Maiden Voyage

Finally got my Stealth 14 all rigged up and got a cart built. I am looking to take it out on its maiden voyage tomorrow morning around 11am. Looking to launch somewhere in Alamitos Bay. This will be my first time launching and fishing from a kayak. Anyone have any pointers for me? Anyone care to join and show me the ropes?
Scubasteve382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Amish Ed

Advice...
1. pack light for your first trip, just in case you flip.
2. use rod leashes. just in case you flip.
3. wear your PFD, just in case you flip.
4. HAVE FUN!
Old 04-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Advice...
1. pack light for your first trip, just in case you flip.
2. use rod leashes. just in case you flip.
3. wear your PFD, just in case you flip.
4. HAVE FUN!
To add just incase you don't flip, flip your kayak for practice. Lol
Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
goldenglory18

Orig posted in another thread, but its easier to quote than to recall these days. Feel free to skip ahead if what I wrote isn't relevant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
First off, you don't NEED a Hobie. Hobies are the Cadillac of kayaks. They are amazing boats and are (if not) damn near the best money can buy. BUT, saying you need a Hobie as your first kayak is like saying you need a BMW to get you to high school. It'd be nice, but it isn't necessary..

As for starting out, demo as many boats as you can and find what feels most comfortable and natural to YOU and the waters YOU will fish. Also, make sure you buy a boat that you can handle comfortably out of the water. A lot of the newer boats are pretty heavy dry. Know how you are going to transport it, and make sure you are comfortable loading it by yourself after a long (tiring) day on the water. The guys at OEX are fantastic and have access to any and all of the worlds best fishing yaks so ask questions, touch the boats, and see the materials they are made of. Sit in the seats and feel how the cockpit fits your body. Kayaks are very personal boats and your confidence in them is everything.

One huge hint that I benefited from was to not go hog wild and buy everything you think you need right away. You don't need a fish finder yet, hell you don't even need rod holders and a crate yet. As a Newbie, the only things you should leave the store with on day one is the boat (and a seat if needed) a paddle (a decent one is $100 or less), a good PFD ($100 - 150) and your transportation system if needed (roof rack, T-bar hitch adapter, etc.) If you have a hard time budgeting for all of those things, then its not time to buy a boat yet.

Once you buy your boat, take it for a Maiden Voyage WITHOUT your fishing gear. Go learn it in a protected and safe area to swim, preferably with a friend. For a true newbie, I highly suggest you learn proper re-entry techniques for a flip (turtle) and a slide-out (most boats these days will kick you off sideways before they actually flip) fall. If you are in an area with a lifeguard, let them know ahead of time that you are going to practice and you will signal/call/whistle for help if needed.

After you get the boat wet for the first time, and you have your initial bases covered, spend some time fishing in a quiet spot with one rod setup and learn how you and your boat work together. How you safely rotate to get to the rear tank well, how to get to your FWD hatch, how you like your foot pegs adjusted. Then and only then should you start looking into modding your boat with rod holders, leashes, anchors, rudder systems, nets, tackle management (ie crates,) kill bags (I could go on forever here. LOL)

Above all, ENJOY IT! It's a wonderful hobby that makes getting on the water easier for everyone. Welcome to the party!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote