Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
taggermike

Otay Lake Aug 7

I'm not much of a fresh water guy but decided to skip the bay and LJ and do some bass fishing. It took a while to find what the fish wanted and their preference seamed to change through the day. Caught fish on worms( on top and on the bottom), soft jerk baits, and senkos. It never went wide but stayed steady most of the day. There were bass out in open water feeding on shad but I couldn't get them to bite any thing. Landed 20 or so, nothing big, but a lot of fun. Otays a beautiful lake and an easy drive from he freeway. $8 for the permit and $2 to launch a kayak. Not too bad.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
kobra

Nice change of pace.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
Fishwhisperer619

How was the water level? I was there about a month ago and it was really low
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
taggermike

I haven't been to Otay in a while so I can't say how far the water has dropped. It's definitely lower than when I was there in the spring. Thules are still in the water and still fishable. Mike
Old 09-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Amish Ed

Nice work on the green bass. I love fishing Senkos. Did you try the blade?

I wish we had more kayak fishable bass lakes close to me. I've got Irvine and at $25, it's way overpriced. And most lakes in SoCal are closed when I'm off.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
taggermike

Hey Ed, I gotta admit, or confess, that I may be the worst spinner bait angler alive. I don't even bring spinner baits with me any more. $25 does seam like a lot to fish Ervine. Growing up In SD my dad would never pay to fish lakes when we had the free ocean so close by. Bass fishing is fun but not worth it to me to drop much cash on it. The $10 for Otay is about right for bass fishing. Usually bass fishing for me is free urban trips in the SD River or little ponds here in the south bay. Mike
Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
taggermike

Here's a couple fotos from Otay. You guys know what a little bass looks like but the sunrise shot is nice. Mike
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Hey Ed, I gotta admit, or confess, that I may be the worst spinner bait angler alive. I don't even bring spinner baits with me any more. $25 does seam like a lot to fish Ervine. Growing up In SD my dad would never pay to fish lakes when we had the free ocean so close by. Bass fishing is fun but not worth it to me to drop much cash on it. The $10 for Otay is about right for bass fishing. Usually bass fishing for me is free urban trips in the SD River or little ponds here in the south bay. Mike
I know what you mean about both the blade and fees. I've only caught a few greens on the blade. When I lived in Vista I fished this pond in Fallbrook in the tube and yak and shore fished a small lake. Both were free. I'd hit Hodges and Sutherland too, but like your Dad, I don't like to pay if I don't have too. Good sunrise shot too.