Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
dlmoo
Junior

Third Time's the Charm

About a month ago

I decided to make my first trip out to La Jolla to chase some yellowtail. Made the trip down at night and crashed at a buddies place. Woke up the next morning and made the 3 mile drive to La Jolla As I was setting up, I ended up meeting some cool guys willing to help a noobie out. They shared some great info and even let me tag along Unfortunately I got a taste of the notorious sea lions, couldn't find a greenie to save my life (all spanish), and ended the day with zip.

9/11/14

Had a couple of days free up during the week and decided to make the trip down to SD with a friend to try for some YT again before I start school. I was much more familiar with the process now and feeling pretty confident since it was such a nice day. My friend and I launched around sunrise, quickly made bait with some nice sized greenies and set out to find our target. Saw plenty of boils and bird activity, but when I threw the surface iron, it ended up being bonito every time. They were a lot of fun on the bass setup and a couple were pretty big. I did get bit by two mystery fish that pulled some serious drag before getting unbuttoned, but again, no YT.

9/12/14

I was pretty upset about the two mystery fish from the previous day, and I was determined to take it more calmly if I hooked up again today. My friend and I launched around sunrise and made some nice greenies. Right away I decided to make my way over to one of the spots I hooked up the previous day. I texted my friend the coordinates and agreed to meet up there. As I'm nearing the spot, my clicker sounds and then goes screaming like it had the other day. I carefully tighten the drag, and the fight is on! After what felt like a looooooong battle, I land my first YT We kept on fishing for another hour , and I was lucky enough to hookup and land a second, smaller model YT.

What an amazing fish and an awesome experience! It was definitely one of the most intense fights i've had in my fishing career so far. Doesn't get any better than fighting, gaffing and landing your fish from start to finish on the kayak

Wanted to send a special thanks to Big John, Yani, and Mike for showing me the ropes my first time out!

Hookup!

First YT!! Didn't get a weight but measured 39" from mouth to fork

dlmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Nice double. Persistence always pays off!!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
alanhighhand

Good report thanks for sharing.
alanhighhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
kayakfisherman

Big D !!!

Way to hang in there!! I know a few people
who are still looking for their first yellow.
They've been looking for years.

I'm sure you're still smiling...

Good luck in Dental School this year. PM me
since I need a good denist whom also knows
how to catch fish. Yani
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
blitzburgh

Way to go!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
toadstoadsonly

Way to go Daniel! Congrats on first, second, and many more exotics from the yak.
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote