Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
vellocity

thursday 10/13 AM

met Andy and Brad at the pier, caught some bait and left them to do their halibut thing and i headed out to the point..

slow trolled from the inside reserve bouy out to the NW corner for nothing..
no current meant broken kelp everywhere amongst the lobster bouys. i've never had much luck when the there's no current.. it was dead flat, dead calm, and dead fishing.. not even another boat fishing out there other than the Dolphin doing the normal routine stops..
not having any patience killed me and i left at 830am..

sunny and clear out at the NW corner, pea soup FOG from Birdrock back to MB..
water color brown on the inside cove area, at the NW corner lime green

stoked to be out there again, but the fish are still on vacation..
good luck
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
madscientist

Good to see you out there again Nelz. I loaded up on bait quickly and headed north with Andy. We worked the north reef for a while but nobody was home. Something bit the ass end of my fly-lined mac but that was it. Came back to the south reef and just found smelt. Andy went further out under some birds and has a story, but by the time I got there it was over. Dead calm, sunny, flat beautiful morning. Stayed out way too long because it was so nice. Showered at the beach and zipped to work. Hope this weather holds through Sat AM, but the forecast says ugliness is headed our way.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Nelz and Brad, good seeing you out there. I was running a little late this morning, as I had to swing by my shop and get my truck and gear. I had lost my sabiki last time out trying to cast it with a bandaid on my thumb. Looking around, could not find a torpedo sinker, so I put a 5" MC Swimbait and 1 1/2 oz leadhead. Plenty of bait in the reserve, but not a whole lot north of the pier. My first 2 in the tank were a spanish and a lizard. I figured that bait was everwhere on Tuesday, so I would not have a problem getting a tank full. Just north of the Shroom house I hit the jackpot on greenbacks. Brad and I circled the north reef, I managed a heart pumping sandbass on the lizardfish.

Brad headed to the south reef and I lagged behind. as I started to the other reef, I saw terns diving once in awhile 1/2 mile outside and decided to loop out that way. Came across a couple balls of feeding microbaits and then a jag of sardines passed right under me in 155 feet. I had not got any dines this morning and decided to try and get one on the sabiki. Just as I pulled back to cast the sardines bolted right toward me. As they passed under me the shortline greenback I had under me, went off. As I reached for the rod the clicker stopped. I later pulled it up, with a crushed head. I hear splashing in front of me and yellowtail are blowing up on the glassy surface. I grabbed the long rod and tossed the iron, a little short and nothing. Cast it again, trying for more distance and rat it up. @#$% Should I blame my bum thumb or buck fever, These were big yellars! Trying to clear it, the action looked to be ending. I grabbed my swimbait/sabiki (I don't use an ultra light trout rod) and toss it. Winding in I get a bump, bump, BENDO!. Fish takes off, down and away a good 30 yards and feels like it makes a turn and pop, came off. Reeled in and cast again, bump, bump, bump BENDO! Same thing, fish is running hard and pop. As I was relaying this to Brad the fish came up again 100 yards in front of me, with birds all over them. By the time I got there the birds were all sitting on the water. Way late for work I paddled after Brad and hit the beach around 11:30. Mystified at how I botched such an opportunity, got me thinking, on the drive to work, that I should check my sabiki hooks.

The one thing that I did not count on was the fish not eating the swimbait. I use the Eagleclaw barbless Sea Circle sabikis. Wish I had fished a lighter drag :roll: Nothing like being lulled into a slow morning's stupor, only to be smacked in the face with 10 minutes of total pandemonium. Ahhhh fishing.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
madscientist

Thanks for showing me the reefs, Andy. Wish someone had been at home. That's wild that they bit the sabiki and not the swimbait. These conditions have been great lately, but I'd swap some chop for some fish.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
vellocity

ahhhhh shoots Andy!
what excitement!!! sounds like that fat lady just got put on standby!!!

i have a 2 day tuna trip this weekend, but it looks like now i have to go tomorrow morning to see for myself!!!!

come on Andy/Brad, same time tomorrow????
Old 10-13-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Ha! I would if I could, but I have an early call tomorrow. Like I told Brad, blowing that opportunity will make for a loooooong weekend. You should be abe to run and gun the birds out there Nelz. Somebody told me Kurt made a birthday wish that his YT be the last of the year. Start a fire!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
Arne

Great read Andy - my heart was pumping ... I won't get to LJ until next week so I hope those yellers stick around.
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #8
vellocity

that's a sweet bent hook!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:42 AM   #9
vellocity

never got to go this morning..
around 6pm got food poisoning and lost the battle on both ends all night! miserable!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Poop, hope ya recover for the 2 day adventure.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:13 AM   #11
madscientist

Yikes, Nelz. That sucks (or blows as the case may be ). Good luck with the tuna. I'll probably be out Sat AM trying to get revenge for Andy .
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
Johnny T.

This is yet another data point supporting the use of a substantial baitstick fishing LJ. Brad tutored me this on another site Great write-up Iceman! After what seems like a protracted dry spell, getting this report was a treat... especially for this key-clicking desk geek.

Johnny
Johnny T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #13
Dennis

IT'S NOT OVER!!!! YEAH!!! Thanks for the report, guys. It's time to make some heavy duty sabiki's.... .

Nelz, I feel you! Sorry to say, but I too am stuck on the toilet.. .. Something I ate on that 2 day tuna trip destroyed my stomach... Damn, I was going to try the pm shift this evening..

See you guys out there,
D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote