Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 04-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Irishman

Where do you guys buy braid from?

Have some reels that need new braid. Figuring 65lb braid and 40lb mono top shots. Recommendations on braid? Have paid a lot for power pro in the tackle store. Anyone bought or got good deals and where from?
Cheers!!!
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Raskal311

look for coupons I just picked up two 300 years 50lb and a 300yard of 65lb from sportsauthority.com for like $45 shipped. I also just got 200 years of seaguar floro leader from jiggyworld for $48 shipped.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Raskal311

There is a 20% coupon out for big5
Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I get my reels spooled at SquidCo. I like Power Pro due to its abrasiveness when fishing around kelp.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
boxturtle

in the beginning I use to find deals on braids but the problem is you have to put it on yourself. Which is really hard to do right. Save yourself the grief and go to a tackle shop and do it right the first time.
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #6
food4less562

20% off Power Pro @ Turners

http://www.turners.com/info/7ethacre-3#.VR3cM-Hr_m4
food4less562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxturtle View Post
in the beginning I use to find deals on braids but the problem is you have to put it on yourself. Which is really hard to do right. Save yourself the grief and go to a tackle shop and do it right the first time.
x2. The last thing you want is to have your braid "digging" into itself.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I know someone.
Otherwise I check eBay from time to time, you can sometimes find good prices w/free ship. I just bought a 1500 yard spool of 30# Power Pro Slick 8 for $135 shipped.
As for spooling your own reel...do you really need 300 yards of line? A trick I learned while working in a tackle shop is to cross load (criss-cross) the line when spooling up at the base and slowly minimize the angle of load. The trick is not to lay the line right next to each other. Ever notice that baitcasters don't lay the line right next to each other? I usually can get about 250 yards on my reels which has always been enough.
I started to do this with my long range gear especially on my Wide Internationals decades ago (otherwise I have loaded my 50SW with 600 yards of 100# Izor when I worked at the shop!). I figure if a fish could strip that much line off my reel he could have the line...point the rod and wait until I get to the knot! The heck with attaching another rod and tossing my rod over the side! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Just my .02!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
tanners
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
x2. The last thing you want is to have your braid "digging" into itself.
What good is packing the braid on machine tight if you are going to lay it back on hand tight after the first cast? Just curious.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanners View Post
What good is packing the braid on machine tight if you are going to lay it back on hand tight after the first cast? Just curious.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
All of my reels have braid and I loaded all of them without the use of a machine. I've fought everything from bass to sharks to black seabass and yellows on those reels, the braid has NEVER dug into itself.

Also, I don't see how the braid can dig into itself, when its loaded (by hand or machine) onto the reels its loaded it somewhat of a criss-cross pattern; left to right, right to left.....right? Am I wrong?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 04-02-2015 at 08:12 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Irishman

I load mine under pressure using a glove to wind on, kinda double wrap around two fingers. Just trying to see who is buying what from where. It's expensive stuff but I love the idea of being able to change top shots and respective breaking strength quickly.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I load mine under pressure using a glove to wind on, kinda double wrap around two fingers. Just trying to see who is buying what from where. It's expensive stuff but I love the idea of being able to change top shots and respective breaking strength quickly.

Ooh yeah.......I forgot to answer your question.

I've never kept track but I'm confident in saying that I replace my braid ever 2-3 years and when I do I usually buy it online (amazon/ebay) or at a local store but thats rare. Because I'm not replacing it often I don't really waste my time looking for the best deal, if I need it, I order it and I'm done. Personally, I'd rather order it from the comfort of my home and not waste an hour of my time driving to and from a shop just to save a $3 dollars.

If you're replacing line on a handful of reels it makes sense to look for the best deal but if you're loading it on one or two reels just go online and order it, don't waste your time driving around town looking for the best deal.

As far as top shot goes I use 40lb seaguar on all of my lines.

Almosg forgot to mention that all of my reels are loaded with 65lb powerpro

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
All of my reels have braid and I loaded all of them without the use of a machine. I've fought everything from bass to sharks to black seabass and yellows on those reels, the braid has NEVER dug into itself.

Also, I don't see how the braid can dig into itself, when its loaded (by hand or machine) onto the reels its loaded it somewhat of a criss-cross pattern; left to right, right to left.....right? Am I wrong?
To be honest I have only heard horror stories about braid digging into itself. Squidco is pretty reasonable with their prices so getting them to spool my reel was a no brainer. As far as all the fish u have fought, I can neither confirm nor deny, as I'm lucky to catch a mackerel here and there.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
CardShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
Otherwise I check eBay from time to time, you can sometimes find good prices w/free ship. I just bought a 1500 yard spool of 30# Power Pro Slick 8 for $135 shipped.
You have to be careful about buying Power Pro on Ebay, the vast majority of it is fake.
CardShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #15
taggermike

For my lighter braid, 20lb and lower, I've had good success buying Western Filament Tuff Line from either bass pro or cabelas. It's cheaper than most braid, goes on sale frequently, and has worked well. For heavier braid I have squidco fill my reels (power pro). Heavy braid can be pricey so I think in the longer run its better to get the exact length you need rather than having line left over but not enough to use on another reel. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #16
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
You have to be careful about buying Power Pro on Ebay, the vast majority of it is fake.
The 1500 yard spool i got on amazon was confirmed fake by Shimano, I got the amazon store shut down and my money refunded.

Never again
Old 04-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #17
corpsmanusn2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
The 1500 yard spool i got on amazon was confirmed fake by Shimano, I got the amazon store shut down and my money refunded.

Never again
But did it work? Cause I'm cheap
corpsmanusn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #18
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsmanusn2001 View Post
But did it work? Cause I'm cheap
Not sure never used it. Wasn't worth loosing a 30lb yellow from what i was told by others the 65lb rating on the fake line would break at around 40lb.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #19
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
I go through Shimano's authorized dealers.
I've heard about the fake stuff () so I had a friend get me a list of their high volume authorized dealers.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote