Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #1
madscientist

LJ 10/23 AM Can lightning strike twice?

Tried for a repeat performance. Same conditions early, calm flat humid. Started to mist and a breeze kicked up after I made bait on the way north. Greenies everywhere and some sardines. Got a few lizards for good measure but it was tough to get down through the macs. Wind built up some chop for a while but settled later. Got on the spot and within 15 minutes a rod goes down. Not huge but also not running, start thinking I may be a lucky SOB. Then I see this...

Oh well. Nothing much after that for a while. Hear that Ken is on his way over and shortly thereafter a bait gets picked up. Strong runs so I'm thinking shark and, sure enough, I end up dealing with a big leopard. Tried to get the hook out but broke the line. In the process I discovered that my floating pliers don't. Ken meets up with me and as we are slow trolling he points out that I'm getting bit. Smaller leopard, on my only healthy sardine. Called it quits when the wind picked up again, leaving Ken to his marathon fish/bug hunt. Hope it worked out, Ken. On the way home I bounced a pair of macs and caught, yep, another leopard right off the rocks north of the pier. So after my flirtation with the right kind it looks like I am back on the sharks.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
Dennis

Brad, are talking about the floating X-tool pliers? Yeah, I lost my pair also. I tossed it to Romel one day out in La Jolla, and it sank. What's up with that...
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohloe1
Brad, are talking about the floating X-tool pliers? Yeah, I lost my pair also. I tossed it to Romel one day out in La Jolla, and it sank. What's up with that...
Yeah, those. I had taken off the strap because it got in my way and I wonder if that was part of the problem. Those things kind of sucked anyway, the material they were made from was too soft for all but the lightest use. Guess I should just get a decent pair and use the gearkeeper I have.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Brad, you took the "good weather" with you.

With the wind pushing 16 knots and the swell building I pussed out and landed.

Had a great conversation with a avid Baja/boat/kayak fisherman at the launch (I have meet some of the most interesting at the launch).

The preheated truck felt great.

Looks a little snotty for the next couple of days.

I’ll be back. :twisted:

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote