Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
iethinker

Yum....Triggerfish....Sargo....Rockfish....Sculpin ....Seafood Sampler Platter!

This is a kayak fishing report from 11/21 - Del Mar & Solana Beach.

Key points of interest are that I caught a Triggerfish and a Sargo. I have never caught Sargo before and I have never heard of Triggerfish even being in Southern California. Conditions on the water were spectacular with incredible visibility.

The bite came on strong mid-morning with most fish being Sheephead and Calico Bass. The Calico's were smaller being in the 10" to 14" in range. Some probably just tipped legal status. The Sheephead were larger being in the 14" to 17" range. A few Copper and Vermillion Rockfish came up as well.

I originally set out for a quick session of CPR and pleasure fishing. Given surprise catches, I decided instead to enjoy fish for dinner with the family. I caught Triggerfish during my trips to Florida so I know them to be delicious table fare providing you are willing to contend with their elephant skin during the butchering process. The Sargo looked fat and edible as well. Lastly, I kept a Vermillion Rockfish to round out a seafood sampler platter!

WOW...I can't believe what I am seeing here; a tasty Triggerfish!

My first Sargo.

The seafood sampler platter underway. Triggerfish, Sargo, Rockfish and Sculpin IPA ready for the next step. The family agreed by unanimous decision that all fish here were the best eating of anything I had ever taken home and the Sargo was superlative. I could not pass-up the billion dollar beer for a side-item.

This Sheephead had some unusually nice teeth. I guess he had not gone full hillbilly yet. This guy and all fish not kept for eating were safely returned to the water.

Of added noteworthiness, the water was exceptionally calm and clear. I could see the bottom in up to 30-feet of water. When heading across sandy bottom areas they appeared turquoise. The grassy strips beyond the breakers were teaming with schools of orange Garibaldi. I think the air temps were mid-70's too. Another fantastic day for sure!

Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Orca Winfrey

WOW! Nice variety. That trigger is pretty cool. Maybe you can make a wallet with the skin?
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Harry Hill

we used to catch Sargo at the Salton Sea, I didn't know we had them on the west coast.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
Dannowar

Sargo is so good!
Old 11-26-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
King Saba

Tasty variety you got there. We have local triggers. When they get bigger they put up one heck of a fight. Good eats!
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Harry Hill

I guess Sargo are common in this area. I would have never thought to fish for them but I will now. Very good to eat and fun on light tackle. At the Salton Sea we would catch them on the tropical fish that lived in Salt Creek or with pieces of shrimp. They should be along the rock walls in the harbors. We always caught them along the break waters in the marinas and where ever there were stick ups from dead trees.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I guess Sargo are common in this area. I would have never thought to fish for them but I will now. Very good to eat and fun on light tackle. At the Salton Sea we would catch them on the tropical fish that lived in Salt Creek or with pieces of shrimp. They should be along the rock walls in the harbors. We always caught them along the break waters in the marinas and where ever there were stick ups from dead trees.
Sunken city south of Notth Shore Marina was sargo central. Corn for bait , tie up the boat to a telephone pole. Haven't caught many in the ocean though. I just remember what a pain to clean they were.

Nice variety
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
captnblood34

Nice trigger, they pull like a horse!
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
MrPatrick

I've caught Sargo in SD Bay. Out of Tidelands launch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #10
Harry Hill

I wonder how many thumbs are in sheephead stomachs?
Old 11-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
taggermike

Nice mixed bag. Until I started spear fishing I thought sargo were rare because hardly ever caught them. They're one of the most common inshore reef fish. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #12
Starsky

Looks like a nice morning out on the water!
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #13
blitzburgh

Cool!