Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #1
Ojos_raros

7 amp battery question

I have a 12 volt 7 amp SLA battery and a Lowrance Elite HDI. The unit draws a fraction of an amp/hour, correct? last fall, same battery would last 4 hours on the bilge pump at 2.1 amps. it took a dump this winter! Maybe the cold room where I kept it??

so yesterday the battery only lasted 2 hours. I got home, charged it and the multimeter is reading 17 volts?? Busted multimeter??

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

More important than the model of FF is the screen size for judging how long it should last on a 7Ah battery. For a 4" it should be fine. For >5" you might be pushing it.

That reading on your multimeter could mean alot of things.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
Hunters Pa

On the FF, also matters if you have the backlight on
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
Ojos_raros

maybe thats it! backlight seemed very very bright all morning

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

SLA Batteries are really prone to dying. If your Lowrance doesn't have GPS... it should last much longer than 7 hours. With GPS its might be pulling more than an amp/hr. Combine that with a dying SLA and there you go...

I replace SLA every year. I have heard of them even showing up bad out of the box.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Shortened duty cycle on an SLA is pretty typical of it going bad. I have a pretty good understanding of the physics of SLA technology but cannot for the life of me see how a 12 v battery can put out 17 volts. 13.5 to 13.8 right after taking it off the charger is possible but not 17. Break out the wallet. I think you have a failing battery and multimeter.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojos_raros View Post
I have a 12 volt 7 amp SLA battery and a Lowrance Elite HDI. The unit draws a fraction of an amp/hour, correct? last fall, same battery would last 4 hours on the bilge pump at 2.1 amps. it took a dump this winter! Maybe the cold room where I kept it??

so yesterday the battery only lasted 2 hours. I got home, charged it and the multimeter is reading 17 volts?? Busted multimeter??
You mentioned the FF and the bilge pump(are you referring to your bait pump), are you running both off the same battery? If so, I would suggest you stop and get a separate battery for each unit.........don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

If you decide to go with another SLA go with a 12v 12a for your FF, that'll keep it going for several hours but whatever you do NEVER EVER let it go completed dead.

Assuming that your bilge pump is exactly that and you are not referring to your bait tank pump as your bilge pump and you do not have a leak in your kayak that would cause the pump to run more often than not I would suggest you get a 12v 7a. However, if the bilge pump that you're talking about is your bait tank pump get a 6v 12a battery, a 12v battery isn't necessarily overkill for a bait tank pump but its definitely not necessary. If you ask around you'll find that most kayakers use 6v batteries on their bait tank pumps.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
You mentioned the FF and the bilge pump(are you referring to your bait pump), are you running both off the same battery? If so, I would suggest you stop and get a separate battery for each unit.........don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

If you decide to go with another SLA go with a 12v 12a for your FF, that'll keep it going for several hours but whatever you do NEVER EVER let it go completed dead.

Assuming that your bilge pump is exactly that and you are not referring to your bait tank pump as your bilge pump and you do not have a leak in your kayak that would cause the pump to run more often than not I would suggest you get a 12v 7a. However, if the bilge pump that you're talking about is your bait tank pump get a 6v 12a battery, a 12v battery isn't necessarily overkill for a bait tank pump but its definitely not necessary. If you ask around you'll find that most kayakers use 6v batteries on their bait tank pumps.
LOL Great point. "My kayak sank because some a-hole on the internet told me how to save 3.5 amp hours on my bilge pump"
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
TJones

7 amp ?

To run 7" ? Seriously? Try doubling it. 15 amp would be more appropriate . And you are tied into bait tank? SLA don't discharge well. Your battery is shot . Why it is reading 17 volts is not accurate . A 7" would probably consume .75 amp per hour . 15 amp would allow more than enough to run 10 hours with plenty reserve ? Even 12 hours. Also look for a marine battery capable of discharging and charging multiple times.

Last edited by TJones; 04-03-2017 at 08:20 PM.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 PM   #10
GregAndrew

There are all kinds of issues with SLA batteries:

You can overcharge them by leaving them on a non trickle charger.

You can charge them too soon in their discharge (they can develop a memory).

They have a relatimely small number of recharges before they begin to lose capacity.

You can drain them too far, killing cells.

And they can easily discharge too fast with a short.

The good news is that they are cheap.

I have a garage full of them from before I switched to LifePo4 batteries. I have been using the same 2 6v batteries for at least 3 years and the same 2 12v batteries for at least 4 years. Averaging around 100 days otw per year. All of the batteries still last at least 2 7-8hr days per charge. The bad news is that they are expensive. But when you figure in the time and frustration of discovering and replacing bad batteries, it is not that bad.

That said, the backlight on most FFs will vary the power requirement quite a bit.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:58 AM   #11
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Plastic dip your battery terminals

Home depot $10 this stuff works good
I put electric tape first then covered put as many coats as you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170404_055444.jpg (32.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by MITCHELL; 04-04-2017 at 05:11 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:02 AM   #12
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I bought a box of 6 used battery at metalmart for $20

Every battery got a green light full charge
Old 04-04-2017, 05:29 AM   #13
kirkdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Every battery got a green light full charge
So do you carry a spare in case one doesn't last long enough? For that price it might be worth the extra weight to run a couple in parallel for better assurance the FF doesn't die in the middle of a fishing trip, which happened to me recently.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:42 AM   #14
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I only use one battery to run my hook 5

I haven't run out of power yet. I don't use a bait pump but if I did it would be another separate battery just for that.To much weight I prefer bait tubes I weigh 265
I paddle a cobra

Last edited by MITCHELL; 04-04-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Correct me if I'm wrong....

But I think they use the same batterys in alarm systems and it's is mandatory that they be replaced over a period of time, even tho they have never been discharged thats why you can pick them up second hand cheap.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 04-04-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #16
FullFlavorPike

AGM batteries are nice, and not that much more expensive. I use in motorcycle applications and experience good reliability. For you n00bs, a motorcycle is a lot like a bait tank
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote