Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #601
Geno Machino
"Relax"

agreed
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #602
Richard Yan
Junior

Hi guys, this will be my first trip in La Jolla tomorrow morning! Please let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks! Also I have a tandem island, please let me know if someone available & want to come, I will be the La Jolla shoreline park before 5am. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richard Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #603
cell128
lizard king

Only if u do all the paddling lol.... I'm not the one to give advice as I haven't got my lj yt....make sure drain plug is in and go have fun???
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #604
Richard Yan
Junior

Thanks any way! Good 9!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richard Yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #605
Redeyejedi

Revised Bait Tank

Revised bait tank:
I was using an old paint bucket/ 5g. and it worked ok. same old t-500 and 6v battery. i did not have a lid, and sometimes birds could see what was in the bucket. i scored an old olive jar from a friend and drilled six 3/8" holes and it drains at same pace as 6v intakes. the olive jar is a tad wider and shorter, which lowers its COG a little bit, and smaller lid seems it would be more managable. poolside tests look good, will report real world tests after a few gos.

Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #606
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
Revised bait tank:
I was using an old paint bucket/ 5g. and it worked ok. same old t-500 and 6v battery. i did not have a lid, and sometimes birds could see what was in the bucket. i scored an old olive jar from a friend and drilled six 3/8" holes and it drains at same pace as 6v intakes. the olive jar is a tad wider and shorter, which lowers its COG a little bit, and smaller lid seems it would be more managable. poolside tests look good, will report real world tests after a few gos.

I like the size of that thing but the color might make it to hit for bait when the sun is out

sent from my G4 on tapatalk app
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #607
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-fishing-socal View Post
I like the size of that thing but the color might make it to hit for bait when the sun is out

water shouldn't heat up faster than it's being replensished. if it does become an issue, nothing some weight-reducing white rattle can wouldn't fix. and then i could paint it to look like a rabid gaurdgull and it may ward off annoying flying rats. who knows.
will do a temp test when marine layer burns off.
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 AM   #608
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
Cheap Tricks (No, not the 70’s rock ’n’ roll band)

I enjoy kayak fishing not only for the thrill of catching fish while seated six inches off the ocean in the middle of nowhere, but also for the many creative ways of outfitting the kayak and creating kayak-related fishing gear. Saving a few bucks doesn’t hurt either. A few that work for me:

Attachment 1699>>
1 - Fishfinder (Eagle) plug protection: A 3/8” screw protector cover, available in the parts bins at Home Depot or Lowe’s, for around $.50. For use on those days when you don’t attach your fishfinder or if you store your yak outside.

Attachment 1700>>
2 - Reel Covers: Rather than pay eight bucks and up for a reel cover, which I’ll probably lose anyway, I make my own for about $1.25 from one of those soda/beer can neoprene insulators, and a piece of Velcro strap. Can coolers about $1 at Walmart and a pack of the Velcro straps for a few bucks from Walmart, Home Depot, etc. These insulated can “koozies” seem to fit calcuttas, lunas, and small avets pretty well and can help eliminate a lot of future “boat rash” on the reel.

3 - Sacrificial Wear Strips: Several layers of duct tape strips on the keel of your yak, and some transparent packing tape strips on the critical areas of that nice gold baitcaster you just got. They’ll need to be replaced every few trips.

Attachment 1701>>
4 - Rod Cork Grip Protection: I spray the cork grips on my inshore rods with Scotchguard, the type for outdoor goods like tents and such. Helps make the grips easier to clean and prevents blood and grime from getting ground into the cork. Will take overnight to dry but doesn’t seem to discolor the cork.

>Attachment 1702>
5 - Paddle Leash: Can’t seem to figure out why someone would spend big bucks on some super light, high-end paddle, just to save a few ounces of weight, and then tether it to the yak with a 10 ounce wet leash. I make mine from some thin poly rope – weighs next to nothing and doesn’t stay wet.
I know the original post is an oldie but a goodie but here is my take on how to save the cork on our rods. I picked up some electrical shrink tape and slid it over the cork then used a heat gun to shrink it into place. Now it has a water proof cover and nice grip to it. I've been doing this for years.

My second tool I use as a de hooker for shark or other fish you don't want to mess with trying to remove the hook from. It's basically an adjustable painters pole with an eyelet screwed and gorilla glued into the end then bent into the shape I wanted. It adjusts out to 4 feet if needed. It's basically a cheap knock off of a commercial one. But I wanted it to be adjustable so I can use it on the different types of boats I fish on. It works pretty well and keeps you from having to cut the leader and leave the hook in the Shark when you release it. Just hook the line and slide down to the bend in the hook and give a couple of hard sharp downward strokes and the hook usually pop out without much fuss!
[ATTACH][ATTACH]image.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #609
AI_Fish
Junior

bait tank inlet screen

I did not have the wire, and needed something asap, so used 100# mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Flatfish View Post
You might want to do something like this to keep kelp polyps, grass and crap out of the intake tube of your new bait tank. I used pure silver wire bought from a bead shop so it won't corrode. Not as simple as a screen, but I like the way it looks and works. I know it won't fall off.

Also, be careful of the collar around the outflow tube. It can come loose if your not careful.

Wayne
AI_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #610
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Finally got around to making a bait tank
Nothing crazy just simple and Functional just need to add two rod holders

🍻🐟

yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #611
NaH20DIVER
Junior

Bait Bullet from scratch - $10

Contemplating making a livewell from scratch, I decided to go the simple route and make a bait bullet out of ABS pipe (works better than PVC). All from Home Depot for $10.

1 4" ABS pipe
2 4" ABS shower grates
Bottle of Marine Goop
10' rope to tie off

I gooped the back end shut.
Used a drill bit to make holes through the other end and shower grate together, so I can run a slipknot through the holes to open and close bait bullet.

It works great, my bait stayed plenty active for hours in there. and not too much drag since the shower grates are flush with pipe.

Can anyone share their ideas on how to make a sliding door? Would be much easier to grab a bait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0108.jpg (68.2 KB, 817 views)
NaH20DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #612
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

The upper deck

Four holders on the front 4 on the back ram rods on each side easy access. up and down stairs storage. Cooler fits on top
Sturdy enough to stand up with. Can put bait tank and trolling motor. No more stuff in the way. It will fit the out back
surf lauching not advised haha
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14

Last edited by ChristLike; 09-04-2015 at 09:11 AM.
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #613
cell128
lizard king

You could almost call that a center console!
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #614
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaH20DIVER View Post
Contemplating making a livewell from scratch, I decided to go the simple route and make a bait bullet out of ABS pipe (works better than PVC). All from Home Depot for $10.

1 4" ABS pipe
2 4" ABS shower grates
Bottle of Marine Goop
10' rope to tie off

I gooped the back end shut.
Used a drill bit to make holes through the other end and shower grate together, so I can run a slipknot through the holes to open and close bait bullet.

It works great, my bait stayed plenty active for hours in there. and not too much drag since the shower grates are flush with pipe.

Can anyone share their ideas on how to make a sliding door? Would be much easier to grab a bait.
Suggest drilling holes along the tube to allow water in and out faster - haven't done tests if that increases drag or not.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #615
Rocketfish

What do you think of this? looks like it could be used in conjunction with that trolley system maybe? I wonder if the wet chord will mess up the leash.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/diy-in...ble-dog-leash/
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #616
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristLike View Post

Four holders on the front 4 on the back ram rods on each side easy access. up and down stairs storage.
Sturdy enough to stand up with. Can put bait tank and trolling motor. No more stuff in the way. It will fit the out back
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM   #617
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristLike View Post

Four holders on the front 4 on the back ram rods on each side easy access. up and down stairs storage.

Looks very well thought out. One question - what do you do when a bigger fish makes a run aft?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #618
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Looks very well thought out. One question - what do you do when a bigger fish makes a run aft?

i am sorry but what does (AFT) mean. i spent a few minutes looking for the acronym online so i wouldnt look uncool, but i have a headache now lol

WHAT IS AFT
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #619
ful-rac
Emperor

Fore - Front, Bow
Aft - Back, Stern
Old 08-07-2015, 11:20 AM   #620
Fishin Phil