Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Amish Ed

reel choice

So, I received a $150 gift certificate to Big 5. I went in hopes of a Shimano baitcaster, but they don't stock them. My only options are the Abu Garcia Black Max and the Daiwa Lexa 300. BIG price difference. I decided to get the Black Max as it is smaller. Got to the counter and their computer was down. I left wondering if I was making the right decision. If I get the Lexa I have to wait to get braid for it and also probably curtail the begining of my 2015 season as I wouldn't be able to purchase my License. On the other hand the Black Max would allow for both of those now.

Anyone out there use both? Black Max opinions? Lexa Opinions?
Old 12-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Lexas are really nice. I have a 3 and 400. Low maintenance reels and good drags. I've never used a black max, but I stopped buying ABU's after some bad experiences with a revo toro.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
MrPatrick

reel choice

The Lexa is more durable reel.the black max is a very basic reel. If you were down here in S.D., I would bring some braid with me to Tidelands Saturday and give it to you. Red 50# Power Pro.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Lexas are really nice. I have a 3 and 400. Low maintenance reels and good drags. I've never used a black max, but I stopped buying ABU's after some bad experiences with a revo toro.
What issues did you have with the Revo Toro?

A lot of people like the Abu reels especially the NACL.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

That's the one I had. Toro 50 NaCl. Constant problems with going into freespool and not going back into gear. I would have to smack the side of the reel to get it back. Two other people I know had the exact same problem. This was after servicing a couple times mind you. And after some big fish my reel was VERY rough internally. Switched to a lexa 300 and liked it so much I also have a 400 now which is one of my favorite reels.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
pray4BIGfish
Junior

do yourself a favor and buy something worth 150$ with the gift card and then return it the next day and get cashback, i won a trout derby this year and received the exact same amount to big 5, big 5 sucks a$$ as far as fishing gear is concerned... get your money and wait for the boat show in march if you can wait that long, and i have 2 revo toros, never had a problem with either of them, caught a stupid amount of yellows and football grade tuna (10-20lbs) this year on the 50 NaCl.. also 2 of my buddies (one of them is Wes who works at Kens custom reels) caught an 81 AND 84lb yellowfin on the 50 this year, they tried to break the reel to no avail.. needless to say they didn't use that reel for the rest of their trip, muscle failure not mechanical lol
pray4BIGfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

So you're saying that a saltist BG sucks ass? But only because it is from big 5? I've seen some smokin deals at big 5 for quality rods AND reels. Not every store has the same stuff in stock. Do yourself a favor and look/call around. They have some quality stuff at great prices. Sometime it seems like they don't know what they're selling.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:29 PM   #8
pray4BIGfish
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
So you're saying that a saltist BG sucks ass? But only because it is from big 5? I've seen some smokin deals at big 5 for quality rods AND reels. Not every store has the same stuff in stock. Do yourself a favor and look/call around. They have some quality stuff at great prices. Sometime it seems like they don't know what they're selling.
why would I go to a bunch different stores to look for their *maybe* 2 good reels that they have (that they themselves probably don't even know they have) lol, when you can choose from so many more reels at BETTER prices when the boat show comes into town by getting cash back?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
pray4BIGfish
Junior

.. and maybe i should rephrase the "big 5 sucks a$$", i should have said "big 5 sucks a$$ compared to the major majority of other stores that sell fishing gear" haha
Old 12-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
exfactor
Junior

Did you know that all the rods they sell are seconds? That should tip you off there.
exfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #11
easyday

I have some rods and reels from Big 5 that have outlasted my other high end gear. I have a rod I paid 40 bucks for that has caught it's fair share of decent fish. It helps that my wife works there so she can check every stores inventory and just get me the stuff I want, no they don't have what your high end tackle stores do but saying that they suck is a pretty bold statement......I have a sealine that I bought 2 years ago and it has seen some Nasty abuse with no services. Now I use it just to see how long it's going to last. I want to say the sealine reels are like the glocks of fishing reels.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Well, it turns out it was a Pro Max, not the Black Max. I went ahead and got it as I really don't need another 300 size, and did want another small one. Loaded up some #30 Power Pro and I'm good to go.

Thank you for all the replies. As too Big 5, I wish they had a better selection like the used to. But, you can get some deals there.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
pray4BIGfish
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
I have some rods and reels from Big 5 that have outlasted my other high end gear. I have a rod I paid 40 bucks for that has caught it's fair share of decent fish. It helps that my wife works there so she can check every stores inventory and just get me the stuff I want, no they don't have what your high end tackle stores do but saying that they suck is a pretty bold statement......I have a sealine that I bought 2 years ago and it has seen some Nasty abuse with no services. Now I use it just to see how long it's going to last. I want to say the sealine reels are like the glocks of fishing reels.
i can understand you defending where your wife works, but you should especially know then that they barely carry any DECENT variety of good fishing gear.. i own a few Sealines myself and yes they're great reels but they literally have a handful of good reels.. defend them if you want but facts are facts. You want more than a few choices? search elsewhere or be confined to choosing from a limited selection.. but hey some ppl like to have their options limited, I'm not one of them
Old 12-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Big 5 in solona beach always had good deals.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:25 AM   #15
easyday

Haha I could care less that my wife works there.....I am not defending it because of that, I was simply stating a fact that I have access to every stores inventory because of that. And yea i guess I'm one of those people that hate options....it's not like I only shop at big 05. There are deffinately some deals you can find and is great when shopping on a budget......

Last edited by easyday; 12-28-2014 at 04:34 PM.
easyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Reel Anxious
Flippin' Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pray4BIGfish View Post
i can understand you defending where your wife works, but you should especially know then that they barely carry any DECENT variety of good fishing gear.. i own a few Sealines myself and yes they're great reels but they literally have a handful of good reels.. defend them if you want but facts are facts. You want more than a few choices? search elsewhere or be confined to choosing from a limited selection.. but hey some ppl like to have their options limited, I'm not one of them
Who are you? After six posts you drop in to diss one of our members? Take it on the heel. Shoo fly shoo
Old 12-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Anxious View Post
Who are you? After six posts you drop in to diss one of our members? Take it on the heel. Shoo fly shoo

You sir just said what I was thinking.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #18
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Come on guys. He just made his account two months ago. Lol. I'm sure he has all the answers!!
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
pray4BIGfish
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Anxious View Post
lol not dissing anyone, maybe if you read the posts above you'd see someone took offense to something i said not geared toward them, but to help another member.. fishermen have thick skin you'll all be alright
Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #20
jsunmkly
Jason

I agree that Mr. pray4BIGfish meant no harm nor was being offensive.