Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Wader Poll

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new pair of waders. I have always bought hodgeman, but my last pair sucked pretty bad (pipestones). I know they should only last a season if you fish frequently, and they've got some good use. But now it seems that water just seeps through them like they've lost their waterproof-ness. And not just the booties. In my eyes it seems that the shell material wasn't actually waterproof intrensically, but just treated with some hydrophobic agent.

So... I would love to get some recommendations on a different set, and why. My price range is up to about $250 or so. I'm looking at frogg toggs but I can't find any good reviews. Right now I'm leaning toward pilot II's.

Winter is coming!
CB
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

My waders had that exact problem and I bought some spray for them, completely waterproof again! I just spray it on every couple months. Forget what it was called but I'm sure someone could chime in
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Waders only last one season? I guess I don't fish enough.

For waterproofing, I spray 3M Scotchguard on everything. Liquids just bead up, run off, and never soak in:
Waders
Couch
Carpet
Carseat
Child Carseat
Snowboard Pants
Snowboard Jacket
Snowboard Gloves
etc.
Basically anything that will contact water.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Waders only last one season? I guess I don't fish enough.

For waterproofing, I spray 3M Scotchguard on everything. Liquids just bead up, run off, and never soak in:
Waders
Couch
Carpet
Carseat
Child Carseat
Snowboard Pants
Snowboard Jacket
Snowboard Gloves
etc.
Basically anything that will contact water.

3M has different versions of their scotchguard, fabric, carpet etc

Do you remeber which one you've been using?
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
Dannowar

My waders have lasted well over three years...
Old 11-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Lipripper92592

I've had a few pairs of Redington Waders. The current pair I have is about 4 years old. They are touch too, most of the time The sonic pros are great, but pricey. There are a few review from flyfishing outfits online, where they field and office test about ten of the top models, and rate each one based on different parameters,(moisture level, sweat, cut, flex, layers of fabric, etc. Don't get DWR product, (Durable water resistant) as most of them do not breath, and are not waterproof and break down fairly quickly. The above study also takes into account, the water permeability of the material. Most likely you will spend a few bills to get a quality product.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

I've seen the treatments and ill admit i never used it. But new waders are a must. Its not just the waterproofing issue. These things are destroyed. The seam tape is all peeling off the inside seals, the straps are ripping out of the fabric, the booties are destroyed, the strench is horrific, soaked in blood and beer, sibiki holes, burn marks etc...

What your guys' waders arent like that??

Don't think 3M is gonna take care of these babys. So back to the point of the post...

What waders are the best?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
I've had a few pairs of Redington Waders. The current pair I have is about 4 years old. They are touch too, most of the time The sonic pros are great, but pricey. There are a few review from flyfishing outfits online, where they field and office test about ten of the top models, and rate each one based on different parameters,(moisture level, sweat, cut, flex, layers of fabric, etc. Don't get DWR product, (Durable water resistant) as most of them do not breath, and are not waterproof and break down fairly quickly. The above study also takes into account, the water permeability of the material. Most likely you will spend a few bills to get a quality product.
Thanks man I'll check that out! I wish they made kayak specific fishing waders.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Lipripper92592

I've been looking at the "pant" waders as well, just a bit less to stow when out on the water. Below are a few sites that I've been looking at lately for waders.
http://lovigkayakfishing.com/gear/drypants
http://www.twsport.cl/indumentaria-d...st-waders.html
http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/rev...-pants/7711572

And here is the 2013 Yellowstone shootout for wader of the year:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...elas-bootfoots

There is a lot of data in the above study.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I use the Carpet Protector version that is at Home Depot.

It works well enough for all my applications, so I haven't even tried the other kinds. Maybe I'll try out the other flavors if I need it and can't find the Carpet Protector at Home Depot.

To answer the original question - any waders with a zipper!
My waders don't have a zipper and I look like I'm stripping naked when I need to pee.

I have to take my PFD off before I can get at the wader straps/buckles.
On colder days, I might be wearing sweat pants or something underneath the waders.

Every time that happens, I wish my waders had a zipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
3M has different versions of their scotchguard, fabric, carpet etc

Do you remeber which one you've been using?
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
blitzburgh

I have a pair of White River Fly Shop (Bass Pro brand) stocking foot waders that have lasted me going on four years now. It should be noted though a previous pair before these leaked after a few months. My guess is most of these are made in the same few factories. I think it's luck of the draw sometimes.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
I've been looking at the "pant" waders as well, just a bit less to stow when out on the water. Below are a few sites that I've been looking at lately for waders.
http://lovigkayakfishing.com/gear/drypants
http://www.twsport.cl/indumentaria-d...st-waders.html
http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/rev...-pants/7711572

And here is the 2013 Yellowstone shootout for wader of the year:

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...elas-bootfoots

There is a lot of data in the above study.
There is a lot of good info in that yellowstone shootout. Basically what I learned is that waders are pretty much shit unless you spend at least $400! haha

With the exception of the orvis silver sonics those seem well regarded.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #13
salty pirate

I don't own this brand but likely will in the future.
on sale too
http://dryftfishing.com/
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
steveooo

I've ditched the waders and gone to dry pants from Kokatat. Don't think I'll go back to waders after using the pants.

Here is the model I have. Got 'em from Andy at OEX.

http://kokatat.com/products/bibs-and...socks-men.html

Pro's
- Lighter than waders
- No neoprere seams (where my waders would always end up leaking)
- Easy to take a leak
- More comfortable than waders
- No suspenders

Con's
- They don't go up as high as waders. Without a dry top, your shirt will likely get wet even on a small surf launch. With my waders I could cheat on the small surf days and not wear a dry top. These, the waistband sits about where your belly button is.
- Feet won't be as durable as waders. I wear a pair of dive booties with them.

If you are stuck on waders, I don't have any real complaints about my old pair of zippered hodgemans. Looks like they are on sale too

http://www.hodgman.com/Hodgman-Hicko...d.html#start=4

Steve
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
chris138
donkey roper

If I had the coin I'd get the Patagonia Rio Gallegos. Sounds like they are ultra durable... like climbing over barbedwire and thorn bushes ain't no thang. Plus it would be super pimp to be rocking Patagonia right?

Orvis silver sonic convertibles (bsides the long name) seem pretty legit. And they eliminate the urination issue without a zipper. They compare it to a $500 level wader for under 3...

http://www.orvis.com/p/silver-sonic-...op-waders/5h5e
Old 11-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #16
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post

If you are stuck on waders, I don't have any real complaints about my old pair of zippered hodgemans. Looks like they are on sale too

http://www.hodgman.com/Hodgman-Hicko...d.html#start=4

Steve
My old hodgemans were sick too... But I think the new ones aren't nearly the same quality. The shell seems much thinner and flimsy.

The kotatat pants are rad though. Just not sure about winter overnighters in them... Assuming the squid ever come back (wink wink)
Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 AM   #17
Cbad Mike

I've had good luck with my Frogg Toggs.
They are getting old and smell like a homeless person's underwear but they have served me well.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #18
exfactor
Junior

I'm gonna chime in here, and offer my 2 cents. I'm a surf fisherman, and probably put in around 200 miles of walking the beach every year. I'm on my 6th set of waders now, after trying the hodgemans, BPS, etc one's, I wish I'd just bought a pair of Simms, and cut to the chase. They are expensive, however, they have a clause where if they EVER leak, for any reason, send them in, and they repair, or replace no ? asked. That is one very good reason to purchase their product.
exfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #19
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
I'm gonna chime in here, and offer my 2 cents. I'm a surf fisherman, and probably put in around 200 miles of walking the beach every year. I'm on my 6th set of waders now, after trying the hodgemans, BPS, etc one's, I wish I'd just bought a pair of Simms, and cut to the chase. They are expensive, however, they have a clause where if they EVER leak, for any reason, send them in, and they repair, or replace no ? asked. That is one very good reason to purchase their product.
Its the SWAT team!!!! You seriously do put the miles on your waders, and one can not go wrong with a pair of Simms. The information in the Yellowstone shoot out has good reviews on the Simms products.
Are you guys pulling any WSB out of the surf lately?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #20
chris138
donkey roper

Ya im thinking of just ponying up and getting the simms G3s. Apperently they just dominate all other waders in every way.