Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #41
Billy V

----------------------------

A Large Blown Up Pic of Clay with that Yellowtail, to accompany him while He said his Piece would be effective.

----------------------------
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #42
PAL

The meeting room is set up to accommodate PowerPoint - so if you want to bring a visual aid, do it. Just make sure to let the organizers know in advance.

Thank you for standing up for your irreplacable fishery. Please keep in mind you'll be talking to the regional stakeholders group, a 60-some person committee responsible for proposing MPAs aka reserves. What they don't do is make the rules (although you can encourage them to be creative and flexible in their interpretation). You'll have to come to the next BRTF meeting for the big picture stuff. I hope you don't plan on one and done!

If you tell them where you'd NOT like one, also offer them an alternative. May I suggest Del Mar for La Jolla? This is a diverse, quality marine environment far from ports. Good value! You might also remind them that the kayak fishing user group would be virtually wiped out by the preservationist proposals, which target every one of our major use areas. If enacted, someone, probably a newby, will get hurt trying to use an unsuitable launch.

If there are a lot of speakers, and there have been at recent meetings, expect only one minute per speaker. Other people can donate their speaking time - recently, each card was good for an additional 30 seconds up to a max of 3 minutes. Those who gave up their time might want to step to the podium with the speaker.

Hope that helps! And I'm very happy you are making the trip. My hat's off to you.

Paul
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #43
landwhale

I am going to this RSG meeting from Seal Beach plan on leaving at 5 am have room for 3 more..............................

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #44
Matt
Support your local pangas

C'mon fellas the heavier presence we show the more likely we will be able to keep our fishing grounds!!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #45
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Right on Steve, thanks for offering up room in your car, see you up there.

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #46
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Bump!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #47
SeaDog

What time does it start? Is there a check in time in order to speak? Sorry if I missed that info somewhere, just trying to make sure I'm there at the right time.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #48
FISHIONADO

Thanks to those planning to represent! I'm out of town this week or I would be there. See you at the one. Dave
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #49
bosco

Steve, Sent you a PM. Would like to car pool with you to the meeting. bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #50
PAL

Quote:
What time does it start? Is there a check in time in order to speak? Sorry if I missed that info somewhere, just trying to make sure I'm there at the right time.
The meeting starts at 9, with a lunch break scheduled for 11:45. Public comment is set for 3 pm. As long as you're there by 2:45, you should have time to fill out and submit a speaker card. Look for them at the table that's usually next to the door.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 AM   #51
landwhale

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
9:30 a.m.
Residence Inn Marriott at River Ridge*
2101 West Vineyard Avenue
Oxnard, California 93036

Meeting Agenda – Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Note: The regional stakeholder group will break for lunch at approximately 11:45 a.m. and public comment will be taken at approximately 3:00 p.m.
Welcome, Agenda Review and Brief Introductions
I. Updates
  1. Science Questions, SAT Documents, Regional Profile, and Announcements
II. Round 1 Draft MPA Arrays and Draft External MPA Proposals
  1. Overview of Proposal 0, Draft MPA Arrays Developed by SCRSG Work Groups, and Draft External MPA Proposals
III. SAT Evaluations of Proposal 0, Draft MPA Arrays and Draft External MPA Proposals
  1. Habitat Representation and Replication Evaluation
  2. MPA Size and Spacing Evaluation
  3. Bioeconomic Modeling Evaluation
  4. Marine Birds and Mammals Evaluation
  5. Commercial and Recreational Fishing Evaluation
IV. Other Evaluations of Proposal 0, Draft MPA Arrays and Draft External MPA Proposals
  1. California Department of Fish and Game Feasibility Evaluation
  2. California Department of Parks and Recreation Analysis
  3. MLPA Goal 3 Analysis
V. Guidance for Developing Draft MPA Proposals in Round 2
  1. Water Quality Guidance
  2. BRTF Guidance Regarding Developing and Evaluating Draft MPA Proposals
VI. Discuss Work Groups' Direction for Round 2
VII. Next Steps and Preparations for April 29 and May 20 Work Sessions
  1. Review objectives for upcoming work sessions
  2. Review objectives for next SCRSG meeting (#6)
Adjourn
Note: On Wednesday, April 29, the SCRSG members will meet in work sessions; members of the public are invited to attend as observers. There is no public comment at work sessions.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #52
landwhale

THE MOST IMPORTANT MEETING IS COMING SOMETIME IN OCTOBER IT IS THE BLUE RIBBON TASK FORCE MEETING

This is were the map will be set in stone

SO IF YOU DO NOT MAKE THIS ONE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO SHOW UP FOR THE BRT MEETING

Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #53
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

One last bump.

See everyone tomorrow.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #54
so cal shaggy

MLPA meeting

Hey guys, thanks for showing up today that was our best turnout by kayak fishermen to date keep up the momentum keep hounding other guys until they get tired of hearing from you. I spoke to a couple of you guys Chris and Kurt and mentioned some of the petitions the spearfishermen have been circulating we have broken them up into 3 areas PV, Laguna/Dana and San diego. Here are all 3 petitions get them out to anyone you feel would be able to help the cause. I have been dropping off a stack every week to my local tackle shops and meeting with good results.

Thanks alot guys for your show of support and for making that long treck up from the San Diego area
Attached Files
File Type: doc Laguna Beach petition revised.doc (118.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: doc rocky point petition redone.doc (77.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: doc petition for La Jolla.doc (127.5 KB, 22 views)
so cal shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #55
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Jeff, good talking with you up there.

Everyone, get your co-workers, family, etc to sign a petition, even if you only get 10-20 signitures. You can send them to me. PM me for my address, and I will be glad to get them to the appropriate place.

chris
Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #56
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

We had 11 guys there, I believe. Good seeing everyone that turn out. A huge thanks to Paul and MJ for going to these meeting for us trying to keep our spots open. I don't know if I could stand sitting through that much bs.

Lots of competing interests at the table

Last minute editing of our public comments.

We were able to pool our pubic comment time together and put together a more coherent argument that way I think.

We can and must do better. The meeting was a real eye opener. Too much to comment on.

Next meeting is already posted. We already know when the next meeting is. Schedule time off now. If you would take a vacation or sick day to fish, do it for this. Even if you don't make the whole meeting be sure to be there for some of it to support our reps and contribute during the the public comment portion.

Don't make me go to LJ and Dana point the morning of the next meeting and shanghai guys and drag them to the meeting.

Of the 11 kayak fisherman, 9 were from SD . Guys that live in Dana Point or Malibu, where were you? SD guys, we can do better. All our spots are on the chopping block.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #57
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Big Thanks to Paul, and MJ!

Major props to:

Tyler
Kurt
Matt
Martin
Clay the fish catcher
Geno
Josh Pruitt
Josh (other Josh)
JJ
Don

The Spearos had 25-30, this is not a competition, but let's get those kayak fishing numbers up next time. More LA people need to attend when it is your area, that means Oceanside to Pt. Conception. Time to STEP UP!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #58
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Matt thanks for the drive, Geno, great meetin ya.

Good turnout, hopefully our point came across, this became a turning point for me personally, watching the double speak.

I agree, we need more presence. Big time.

To those who made the trek,

Paul and MJ, hard to imagine sitting through that and not being able to say how you truly feel, with the games the MLPAI throw at us.

At the onset, hearing the committee explain why they changed the schedule, and why the amendments to their proposals were added at the last minute without giving advance notice to us (kayakers, fishers, spearos, etc.) was an eye opener to the battle being faced by our supporters.

One of the MLPAI even stated the, "we can't possibly wait to gather all the necessary data..", that being the explanation of their amending of the MPA proposal. Hard to even fathom...hmmm....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #59
Matt
Support your local pangas

I OFFICIALLY HATE THE MLPA!

If you don't think your gonna lose LJ you are living in a dream now step up and fight for it!!! The beauracracy is unimaginable!! This thing is gonna get railroaded down on all of us. It is definitely time to stand up and be counted!!!

The double speak, the refusal to answer or even take questions of the pro-fishing side, it is truly something to behold! We stand a chance but you and YES I MEAN YOU...YES THE ONE READING THIS NEEDS TO STAND UP AND MAKE THE EFFORT OR FORGET LJ....I hope you all like fishing for spotties!! Because if these people have their way and that may even be threatened due to the endangerment of eel grass....no shit I am not kidding eel grass!! It is time to make a statement if you want to fish and share the experience someday with your children and grandchildren YOU MUST ACT NOW!!!!!!

Huge props to all the dudes who showed up to represent! Tyler and Chris et. al. thanks for the speech to read and the help re-writing it. CLAY !! Martin you have a great kid and it is very easy to see why he is the way he is! Kurt, Josh P, Josh, The guy in the suit who's name I have forgotten, Habanero, Chris, Tyler, T-Man, Fishcatcher, Gino you all made me proud to stand up and fight for what is ours!

BIG, BIG THANKS TO MJ AND PAL!!

STAND UP AND FIGHT OR LOSE IT ALL! If more of you don't show up we are done for!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #60
steveooo

Today was just a day I could not swing. I will be at the next meeting for sure. Big thanks to the guys that made the drive up.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote