Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
Cbad
HOW account for Cbad Mike

Rockfish Round Up

While the donation of your extra fish to our local chapter of HEROES ON THE WATER is always appreciated, it is something pretty cool when a small group of guys gets together and makes that their main mission of the day.

Real quick.....
For anyone who doesn't know, HEROES ON THE WATER is a national non profit organization that
utilizes kayak fishing as a therapy for disabled veterans and their families. After a day on the water we have a BBQ and serve our guests and event volunteers a lunch of fish tacos. The day is 100% free for everyone.
The donation of fish for our event lunches is a really big help to us because for every dollar that we save on food we can spend on the equipment needed to put on our monthly events.

Anyway.......
Back to today's Round Up!
The swell was quick which made launching a little tricky but not a problem.
Once out, the water was nice and friendly until the wind picked up at around 10am. Bait was easy to find all morning long. I metered some big fish and decided to shoot for them. They were definitely there but would only look at my bait. They didn't seem hungry at all.
The chatter on the radio is exactly what you would expect when you get the Sewer boys on the water and was more entertaining then the fishing, atleast for me.
We all headed in at about 11:30 and there were some in the group that seemed proud of themselves for keeping their head dry while landing.
There were a few limits and plenty of quality Rockfish taken by most but none by me. Mark had a couple who's size would only look medium at best even with Jim holding them out to the camera LOL. A nice surprise was that Patrick donated his nice YT to us on the beach. Chuck also donated a really nice tail on top of a brick of frozen fish. Tony filleted up all of the fish while Jorge supervised.
I didn't see who else caught or donated fish But a BIG thank you to all who participated. It was a fun day with some really good guys! Thanks Sven for the elk sausage. Ryan, glad you could make it! Bernie thanks for finding the room in your freezer. Roby, good to see you and I hope that giant BSB didn't wear you out too bad. Nick, glad you could atleast make it to the park.
I wasn't feeling that great today and hope that I didn't forget to thank anyone but if I did then THANK YOU! and once again thank you to everyone who helped such a great cause.
PS..... If you werent there don't worry, we didn't talk about you at all.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cbad; 05-09-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Cbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #2
svendawg

Pictures

Did anyone get pictures or video of the Black Sea Bass
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

wish I could have participated, had a heavy work load yesterday. Way to stock up!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
jorluivil

Whenever I have a successful surf landing you know it was a good day. Despite my successful landing the rock fishing wasn't what I expected it to be, I got my first and only three fish in less than an hour but as soon as the third one came up someone turned the switch off and the bite stopped. I decided to pound sand the rest of the time but the wind and water chop made it so that I couldn't sleep on my PA, no sleep means no fish. As always we had a great time fishing with everyone, got to put some names to faces and listen to stories of how that big one got away.

P.S.

Despite what Jim said, Jorge spelled backwards doesn't mean 'I love to suck rooster'

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Nice work guys, HOW SoCal will put the fish to good use over the spring and summer. thanks to all who helped with this event. Tight lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
HELLSTER INC.

Wish I could have been there to contribute! But I'm stuck in Hawaii...
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #7
Deamon

This guy was all on top of me when I was catching my reds. Anyone recognize him?
Attached Images

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM   #8
GregAndrew

I think his name is Tony Salazar or something like that?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
ful-rac
Emperor

Team Papaya bitches!
Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
ful-rac
Emperor

Not bad fishing for a tough day...

Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
jorluivil

How to avoid neck injuries when Cbad is posting pics

Old 05-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Cbad Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
This guy was all on top of me when I was catching my reds. Anyone recognize him?
If he was fishing the same spot as you then why were all his fish twice the size of yours?
Old 05-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
MrPukaShell

I knew I was missing something because my next hurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
Cbad Mike

Hahahaha......
That guy posts pictures as bad as he fishes!!!
What a LOSER!!!
He was probably drunk!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #15
FlyinRyan

It was great finally meeting everybody out there. Even though I didn't catch any fish I can't wait for the next outing.
FlyinRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

Thanks to Everyone that participated!

I would also like to thank everyone who participated. Thanks for showing up and supporting a good cause. Thanks to Saba Slayer the original Jim, for letting me borrow the new 2015 Papaya PA, that I got a bunch of crap for...from the other Jim...we all know which Jim.

Thanks to Chuck D for trying to make good on his promise for 2 yellows....he got one...but he really had to work hard for it and in tough conditions.
Thanks to the Pelican, for the other yellow, very impressive for pulling one out in such adverse conditions.
Thanks to kayakbernie for making sure that our fish goes to the right place and not having a fish taco party the next day, with all his neighbors.
Congratulations to Jorge for not having a yard sale for the first time....EVER!

We all appreciate your participation and fish donations!

Until the next Round up!

Tony.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
Chuck D

Good times, great people, stellar cause! Always a treat seeing the sewer boys down south dedicating their time and efforts to support a cause many miles away. Nice to meet some new faces and bs with the old, till next time. Most of all thank you to our veterans that sacrifice their livelihoods for a us and a country that we all believe in.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #18
FISH11

I felt bad at only catching some small rock fish. It was a tough day out there and the fishing was slow. While staying out there a little longer in hopes of getting something more fitting to help fill the HOW freezer. I happened to be near Chuck D when he hooked up and I was hoping for some of the same. It didn't work out on Saturday so today Monday I went out and fished a lot of different areas but the general area that Chuck D hooked up in proved to be the bomb today at 9am caught a 27.6 lb Yellow and later at 1:54 pm got a 16.3 lb Yellow only about 50' from the spot of the first one. What an awesome day, at 27.6 lb it's a PB and actually landing two on the same day on the kayak is also a PB. Both Yellows are going to be donated to HOW. Just trying to do what I can. Tight Lines All.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I felt bad at only catching some small rock fish. It was a tough day out there and the fishing was slow. While staying out there a little longer in hopes of getting something more fitting to help fill the HOW freezer. I happened to be near Chuck D when he hooked up and I was hoping for some of the same. It didn't work out on Saturday so today Monday I went out and fished a lot of different areas but the general area that Chuck D hooked up in proved to be the bomb today at 9am caught a 27.6 lb Yellow and later at 1:54 pm got a 16.3 lb Yellow only about 50' from the spot of the first one. What an awesome day, at 27.6 lb it's a PB and actually landing two on the same day on the kayak is also a PB. Both Yellows are going to be donated to HOW. Just trying to do what I can. Tight Lines All.

Were you in a wet t-shirt contest or....................?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #20
FISH11

Not on this trip, it was a dry landing. All but the bathing suit, it gets wet from bracing against the waves on the landing.