Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
King Saba

I gots a problem

So in preparation and anticipation for what may be another epic summer I recently picked up a "brand new" Malibu Stealth 12. It's new depending on how you look at it. The previous owner said it never touched water, and the dust on the gator hatch and lack of wear and tear was evidence of that.

Here's the catch, I bought it for a much lower than retail price, but the boat came with a "minor" problem.

The drain plug was never installed into the oval bait tank hatch. lol and the rubber O ring is so dry and old that it broke. So, I was wondering if any of you awesome kayakers out there have any ideas on how to install this drain plug. Should I just try to twist it in and add some goop or should I just leave it to a professional to take care of? And, does anyone know where I can grab another O-ring. I think I kinda need it.

Thanks everyone.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Easy, Oex sunset or oex mission bay
Old 05-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #3
Fishin' Magician

Take it to OEX and they will fix you up in no time. I was just there yesterday as one of my hatches got broken on the Islander trip last weekend. On Sunday I drove it straight up to OEX Sunset Beach to have that and a couple of other things fixed on it. They replaced both side hatches (I already had the replacements), a rear handle and added side rails all for $40.00 plus parts. Excellent service and very helpful. Thanks Ben and Andy!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
King Saba

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to head to OEX in Sunset.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
JayB619

Yeah like everyone said, just let Oex hook you up. Also bummer about that broken side hatch fishin' magician I saw that when they brought your stealth back on board at the end of the day, glad you good it all fixed. Your going to love your new stealth 12, they are great kayaks
JayB619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
King Saba

So Andy at OEX has never dealt with this kind of issue. It's not too surprising as this is a weird scenario. It looks like I'll have to head over to Malibu's headquarters. But on that note he was great with customer service.

Last edited by King Saba; 05-23-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

Ya, like I said on the phone, I'd be happy to try and figure out a way to get it in place, but Malibu has a production impact jig that would thread it in 10 seconds
Old 05-24-2015, 03:40 AM   #8
tacmik

I think you ought to just put a cork in it.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
Fishin' Magician

Yeah, the broken hatch was a bit of a bummer to the trip, but fortunately it was able to be fixed, so no big deal. It's an older Stealth 12, and the older ones had a side hatch that was solid on the inside, no red bag like they have now. So fortunately for me, that was the side that broke. The other side goes straight though to the lower hull, so if that one had broken, it could have filled up with water had I had any issues. But as it was, the broken hatch was just inconvenient, but not a disaster. I still caught fish, and was able to bring the kayak back to the boat without any problems. Malibu makes a good kayak.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Ya, like I said on the phone, I'd be happy to try and figure out a way to get it in place, but Malibu has a production impact jig that would thread it in 10 seconds
My guess is that Andys try is better than 98% of the population to include Malibu. I'm just saying....
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
King Saba

Thinking back I probably should've just stopped by. I was at HH that day. I ended up plugging the hole with a foam golf ball and it kept the water out pretty well. Anyways, I'll likely stop by Malibu to have it taken care of. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #12
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
So in preparation and anticipation for what may be another epic summer I recently picked up a "brand new" Malibu Stealth 12. It's new depending on how you look at it. The previous owner said it never touched water, and the dust on the gator hatch and lack of wear and tear was evidence of that.

Here's the catch, I bought it for a much lower than retail price, but the boat came with a "minor" problem.

The drain plug was never installed into the oval bait tank hatch. lol and the rubber O ring is so dry and old that it broke. So, I was wondering if any of you awesome kayakers out there have any ideas on how to install this drain plug. Should I just try to twist it in and add some goop or should I just leave it to a professional to take care of? And, does anyone know where I can grab another O-ring. I think I kinda need it.

Thanks everyone.
Just get one of these the right size they are like 4 bucks uploadfromtaptalk1436298192806.jpg

sent from my G4 on tapatalk app
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

HOME DEPOT! I replaced all my o rings on my x factor scupper plugs, cost like 2-3 bucks.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

More than just o rings... to me looks like no thread
Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR6RR View Post
More than just o rings... to me looks like no thread
Oh damn? That's crazy. Didn't see that earlier
Old 07-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #16