Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
pbb

Mission Bay this coming weekend (Labor Day)?

I'm planning to go out, probably to Mission Bay, this weekend. I haven't nailed down exactly when.

If anyone is willing to join or be joined by a total newbie let me know. (I know I'm not making it sounds really attractive, but I'm trying to be honest here).

I would head to MB if I was going by myself, but I will happily tag along with anyone going to the big bay.

I just got my own kayak a couple of weeks ago and I'm still getting things set up and figured out, but I'd really like to get out there sometime this weekend.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
jaws197

My two cents?

Get on and off the water EARLY! Partly for the heat but mostly as this is the last hoorah for the tourists the little bay will be a Z O O !

Be Careful! and good luck!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
pbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws197 View Post
My two cents?

Get on and off the water EARLY! Partly for the heat but mostly as this is the last hoorah for the tourists the little bay will be a Z O O !

Be Careful! and good luck!
Thanks. I'm definitely concerned about the ZOO effect. But I wasn't able to get out last weekend and it caused damage to my soul.

I was actually at the MB Hyatt this morning, and wished I could have just taken the day off to fish...
Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
todd one

Get out there real early. They're going to be out there early too.

Last edited by todd one; 09-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.
todd one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
pbb

I got to MB a little after 6AM. Slurped a few ghost shrimp and launched from the ski beach ramp. I was able to park right next to the ramp.

I caught two Rock Wrasse under the Ingraham St Bridge on the ghosties. One female and one male. I wasn't sure what they were, I thought maybe Whitefish. I looked them up when I got home. (I released them without taking any pics).

I fished a white grub drop shot between the bridges, but got not a bite.

None of the the other kayak fishermen I talked to had caught anything, nor did I see anyone on other boats catching anything.

This was the first real fishing voyage on my new kayak, so I was glad to be out there, and to get the skunk off.

I packed up and headed home by about 9:30, as the tide was going slack, the sun was getting hot, and there were more and more power boats on the water.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
kobra

Mission Bay fish move around quite a bit. They follow the bait around, or the more comfortable water. There are a lot of "spots" in the bay to fish. You just have to find where they are on the day that you fish.
Spinnerbaits are your friend. I fish a 1 ounce terminator spinnerbait. 3 to 5 inch swimbaits work well also. I like 3 inch big hammers and mc swimbaits. For anything bigger than 3 inch, nothing but mc swimbaits. Crankbaits work well also. Work them right over the eel grass. Learn to count your lure down and retrieve it as close to the grass as you can. Too high and you won't get bit. Just a couple of things to get you headed in the right direction. By no means the only way to fish so once you get comfortable with those techniques you can experiment with some of your ideas. Good luck.
One last thing, those are the brands that I like to use. Everyone has their own favorite brands so use whatever you have confidence in.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Ddwineguy

Here is a sure fire way to fish for spotties in the bay. Tie on a weedless lead head. I like war baits. Slip on a swim bait. I like 4 inch brown and red colored ones. Find some eel grass and cast in to it. Let your lure sink in the eel grass and settle on the bottom. ( trust your weedless head!). Either slowly wind back in or jig and wind back to you. If you do this you will catch plenty of spotties in MB. The key is to let your lure go all the way into the grass. The nice size spotties bury themselves in that stuff. The weedless head is key. Give it a try and have fun.
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote