Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
tasteslikechikn54

CDIP Chart Readings....

Can someone please enlighten me on how to read the scripps pier charts in regards to conditions? I believe that the first chart at the top of the page indicates the height of the surf forcasted for the day... How do you read the middle and bottom chart? Do those indicate set sequence? I'm planning on getting out to la jolla this Friday to look around... Thanks.
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
mbaha

CDIP makes lots of charts.... try linking to whatever you are looking at
eg
http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub...oy_ww3&stn=073

or here

http://www.sccoos.org/data/piers/
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Dan

This chart is THE chart.

Anything 3.0 feet and less will be a super easy launch, anything above 5ft will be very wet and will pretty much suck once you get past the surf.

The prediction chart (red), as you can see since they keep the recent past as well as the furture charted there can be very helpful for predicting your outings.

the middle and bottom charts show the period (frequency of the swell) the main swell is charted in the middle the average period is in the bottom.

in general, short period = a little more messy than long period.

Let's say you had 4.0ft on the scripps buoy but a really long period, you'd be able to time it and slip out through the surf, if it was 4.0ft and 6-8 seconds, you'd make it, but take one on the chest most likely.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Ya, go with the expert...

Besides, why worry about surf, free ride in and time to relax...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

This chart is THE chart.

Anything 3.0 feet and less will be a super easy launch, anything above 5ft will be very wet and will pretty much suck once you get past the surf.

The prediction chart (red), as you can see since they keep the recent past as well as the furture charted there can be very helpful for predicting your outings.

the middle and bottom charts show the period (frequency of the swell) the main swell is charted in the middle the average period is in the bottom.

in general, short period = a little more messy than long period.

Let's say you had 4.0ft on the scripps buoy but a really long period, you'd be able to time it and slip out through the surf, if it was 4.0ft and 6-8 seconds, you'd make it, but take one on the chest most likely.
Dan, thanks for the quick response. I got out a few weeks ago for the first time and fished in front of childrens pool and it wasn't too bad... I was just curious to see how those charts are to be read... Thank you much, sir...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
taggermike

I like the CDIP chart that looks like the pie. It gives about every thing you need to know at a glance. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote