Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
5-20

Nucanoe - Thoughts

I'm pretty intrigued by the Nucanoe Frontier 12 model. Those things have a number of features I really like: elevated lawn chair that rotates 360, 650 lb pay load, it's a super stable rig that's easy to stand up in. And best of all, best of all, you can strap a 2.5 hp motor to that baby.

I know... kind of heresy to talk about using a motor on a yak site, but I'm thinking about how awesome it could be chasing BFT out of one of those things with a little motor. Seems like I would have a ton of launch points to choose from up and down the coast and that I might be able to break through some of the riskier areas that most people generally avoid with peddle or paddle yaks just because they can't clear the big sets quickly enough before getting hammered. With that motor, it almost seems like I could just wait for a lull in the waves and then scoot right through.

I'm hoping this doesn't escalate into an argument about whether it's really a yak or not or how using a motor "takes away from the fun of using a yak" or any of that silly stuff.

I haven't seen one of those things up close yet but hope to soon. Just curious about if you guys have any thoughts about nucanoes at all.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
I'm pretty intrigued by the Nucanoe Frontier 12 model. Those things have a number of features I really like: elevated lawn chair that rotates 360, 650 lb pay load, it's a super stable rig that's easy to stand up in. And best of all, best of all, you can strap a 2.5 hp motor to that baby.

I know... kind of heresy to talk about using a motor on a yak site, but I'm thinking about how awesome it could be chasing BFT out of one of those things with a little motor. Seems like I would have a ton of launch points to choose from up and down the coast and that I might be able to break through some of the riskier areas that most people generally avoid with peddle or paddle yaks just because they can't clear the big sets quickly enough before getting hammered. With that motor, it almost seems like I could just wait for a lull in the waves and then scoot right through.

I'm hoping this doesn't escalate into an argument about whether it's really a yak or not or how using a motor "takes away from the fun of using a yak" or any of that silly stuff.

I haven't seen one of those things up close yet but hope to soon. Just curious about if you guys have any thoughts about nucanoes at all.
Looks like it would be easy to swamp?
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #3
5-20

Possibly. I have no idea. There's a dealer in Santa Ana/Irvine and he said that the Pursuit 12 is the model I should be interested in for ocean fishing because the frontier (even though it's wider) was designed for lake fishing and the pursuit handles swells better and is also faster.

Hoping to go up sometime when I have a bit of free time to see one firsthand and maybe even do a demo if I can.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Daiwadude

Nucanoe sucks! It's really tippy in open water, my uncle bought it and tried LJ with horrible results. The seat is to high which will makes u flip and it flipped many times that day. He returned that pc of junk the next day...not worth the money. Probably good for flat lake water, but still bad design.
Daiwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Dave Legacy

I browsed around the NuCanoe website a bit and I think you can get just about all of the perks you seek (minus the 360 seat) with many other more seaworthy kayaks.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote