Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Natural_one
Junior

SeaDek kit + Rectangular Hatch upgrade- my 2015 outback

Yo! Thought I would share two recent projects I did to my 2015 Hobie outback.

Before I purchased the kayak I knew I would want to do the rectangular PA hatch, but thought I would try the stock circular one out for a while before I made the jump and started cutting my new toy up. My whole goal was to have the same Plano boxes that I could switch out when I change styles of fishing.

I started researching traction/deck padding. After reading up, I ordered a camo pattern one that was made for the stock circle hatch. The plan was to wait until my square hatch was installed and see how it fit but I couldn't wait and installed the deck kit prior to getting the new hatch. It ended up working out pretty well with some planning. "Measure twice cut once" they say.

I additionally contacted Seadek and ordered a front hatch piece and a rectangular hatch piece.

For the other outback owners who want to or have done the rectangular hatch upgrade, I believe if you ordered a kit and spec'd the rectangular hatch they could do the fit perfectly, but due to my weird impatience and timing of installs the circular hatch has slight gaps showing beyond the rectangular flange. (You'll notice I used an industrial size black sharpie prior to the lid being bolted on to help the seam disappear).

Huge props to Seadek for an awesome product and great communication! I highly recommend their kits as they dramatically improve the look and traction, as well as quiet the entire deck down for those times when you want t be stealthy quiet. I've been pleasantly surprised how good blood washes off too. Im not exactly sure on the weight, but I know its a non-issue as far as adding weight.The stuff is as light as air. Another benefit I didn't realize until using was how comfortable it is on my bare feet and ankles when not peddling.
I also used the round hatch pad and cut out a cup holder pad for my loud Hydroflask containers I take with me. With the custom ordered parts, they were able to send drawings for approval, updates on the production, and shipping tracking #s, etc. Even threw in a couple stickers that I'm happy to slap on!

The hatch, hatch seal and tackle management system was all purchased at Fast Lane kayaks. They even had the stainless steel screws in stock the day I swung by. Great shop and service as always. The install of the hatch was fairly easy, but for those who lack the confidence for time they will do the install labor for under $100 I believe.

On to the pics:

Last edited by Natural_one; 08-15-2016 at 01:53 PM.
Natural_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #2
JeffB

Very nice! Looks really good. I'm thinking of ripping out the old carpet in my boat and replacing it with this
Old 08-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
Natural_one
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
Very nice! Looks really good. I'm thinking of ripping out the old carpet in my boat and replacing it with this
What an improvement that would be. Post pics if you do!
Natural_one is offline   Reply With Quote