Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
Ddwineguy

Compass and Bixpy

Got a chance to take out the Hobie and play around with my new Bixpy motor today.

Bixpy is a San Diego company and have just brought their modular motor system to market.

I purchased one with the mirage kit and took it out today for the first time. It is light weight and is controlled by a handheld wireless remote. It pulled my compass around at about 4.5 mph. I used it for around an hour and the charge indicator showed I had only used about 1/6 of the battery.

At around 1000.00 it is cheaper than a Torqueedo. It doesn’t have a gps feature like the evolve, so you have to keep an eye on your available battery power left. A little noisy, but less whinny than an Evolve. Easier to put in and take out as you don’t have to worry about prop alignment.

I’m know powering a kayak is not for everyone, but it is nice to have another choice if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Saba Slayer

2 questions

2 questions for you...
Is there any kind of indicator to let you know what your battery level is ?
I understand it's a 5 speed control...is there an indicator to let you know what speed you are on and do you have to cycle through the speeds to get to a lower speed ?
Thanks

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Ddwineguy

There is a indicator on the battery that has 6 leds that show battery level.

You do have to step through each speed on the controller. There is a separate stop button.

Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Raskal311

If they intergrade the battery in the cassette I'd be sold. 4.5 is slower then the torqeedo but not by much.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
BigLouSD
Junior

That seems pretty cool. Couple questions: Once we place a motor like that in the mirage drive well, are we responsible for registering the kayak through the DMV? Does the fact that it is a portable motor that is not permanently installed have any bearing on whether or not one would have to register the kayak?
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouSD View Post
That seems pretty cool. Couple questions: Once we place a motor like that in the mirage drive well, are we responsible for registering the kayak through the DMV? Does the fact that it is a portable motor that is not permanently installed have any bearing on whether or not one would have to register the kayak?
I'm sure you could get hassled over not having C.F. #'s on your kayak. I still haven't met a kayaker that has been though. Used wisely they (harbor patrol life guards chp��?) would never know.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #7
Saba Slayer

IMHO

In my experiences with the Redondo Harbor patrol...you must have CF numbers if you have a motor on any vessel...Coast Guard regulations require CF numbers for a motorized vessel.
On the other hand...often times harbor patrol will not even notice if you have CF numbers or that the kayak is motorized.
If your a member of AAA, is so simple to document the kayak and get your numbers...it's $16 a year for your DMV registration if you don't pay the Quaga and zebra mussel fee (that shouldn't break the bank), otherwise it's $36 a year.
Well worth the $16 not to get hassled...

Old 12-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
BigLouSD
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
In my experiences with the Redondo Harbor patrol...you must have CF numbers if you have a motor on any vessel...Coast Guard regulations require CF numbers for a motorized vessel.
On the other hand...often times harbor patrol will not even notice if you have CF numbers or that the kayak is motorized.
If your a member of AAA, is so simple to document the kayak and get your numbers...it's $16 a year for your DMV registration if you don't pay the Quaga and zebra mussel fee (that shouldn't break the bank), otherwise it's $36 a year.
Well worth the $16 not to get hassled...
Thanks for the info. I guess if someone drops a couple bands to get a kayak and then add a motor to it, $16 or $36 dollars should be no sweat right?
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
jbl_91762

saw the Bixby at the FHS last Feb and it got my attention but at 1k its pretty steep but would be cool to slap that sucker on after a long ass haul outbound and use it to come back in. Im most likely gonna get one soon lol.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
saw the Bixby at the FHS last Feb and it got my attention but at 1k its pretty steep but would be cool to slap that sucker on after a long ass haul outbound and use it to come back in. Im most likely gonna get one soon lol.

That’s why I bought it. I have a bad knee that sometimes gives out. Figured it’s a good way to extend my fishing time.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
King Saba

I remember seeing this a couple of weeks ago. You've got me really interested now! How portable is it? My Adventure is narrow so I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of storing this when it's not in use.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #12
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
I remember seeing this a couple of weeks ago. You've got me really interested now! How portable is it? My Adventure is narrow so I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of storing this when it's not in use.

Super portable. More so than the evolve unit. I’m in San Diego, if you ever want to check it out, PM me.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #13
Raskal311

Speaking from someone who owned a torqeedo evolve (two actially), rear mounting a motor on a Pa or Compass is the way to go hands down. Swapping the drive and motor in and out is a pain in the ass and having to store one while you use the other is an even bigger pain.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #14
WestFork

Cool alternative! Since the devil is always in the details (grin), how much does the motor weigh? What amp-hour battery are you using? Maximum amp draw on the motor? How much does draft change with the motor installed? 12 inches or ?? Can you launch with motor installed or do you have to drop it in the drive well while tied up to a dock? Thanks!
WestFork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
Saba Slayer

How...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Speaking from someone who owned a torqeedo evolve (two actially), rear mounting a motor on a Pa or Compass is the way to go hands down. Swapping the drive and motor in and out is a pain in the ass and having to store one while you use the other is an even bigger pain.
I've been using electric motors on kayaks for a number of years and it's always seemed easier for me to deal with a fishing line caught on the motor/prop when the motor/prop was accessible (ie. mid kayak as opposed to in the rear)...especially since I do most of my kayak fishing solo. Getting braid line caught in the prop is a whole other conversation...
Without a prop on the Bixpy my concern is still getting the line snagged somewhere on the drive when it's in the rear of the yak and inaccessible to a solo angler...
What are your thoughts...Raskal...?

Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #16
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
I've been using electric motors on kayaks for a number of years and it's always seemed easier for me to deal with a fishing line caught on the motor/prop when the motor/prop was accessible (ie. mid kayak as opposed to in the rear)...especially since I do most of my kayak fishing solo. Getting braid line caught in the prop is a whole other conversation...
Without a prop on the Bixpy my concern is still getting the line snagged somewhere on the drive when it's in the rear of the yak and inaccessible to a solo angler...
I remember when i went out with Frank to rocky point and he got his line caught in his prop on his rear mounted torqueedo on his trident. He was a sitting duck until I could finish with what I was doing and untangle the line from his prop. He would probably be still out there today if it wasn't for me. You're welcome Frank.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #17
Raskal311

Quote:
Yep that's a very good point, I'm very careful and in the 2ish years I've ran the torqeedo I've only gotten braid in it once. Had to peddle back that day, wasn't fun lol. With the motor at mid ship getting the line stuck in the property is going to be much higher. I've had more issues with running over loose kelp (mostly at night). Pulling the moter up and down a few times typically gets it off but occasionally I will have to craw back there to clean it off; a telescopic galf helps too. Fishing around kelp being about to pull the motor out of the water and putting it back in within a second simply by pulling a rope vs pulling out the entire drive is actually more convenient. Now pulling the motor on a torqeedo evolve out of the well isn't quick and easy due to th prop, the bixpy on the other hand is probably much easier. All that said I still feel strongly that rear mount is the way to go but my perspective is based on my fishing style.

Last edited by Raskal311; 12-15-2017 at 02:25 AM.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
BigIslandFishing
Junior

Bixpy Jet

I put the rudder mounted bixpy jet on my hobie rev 11. I took a fishing class and found the distances to get far enough out where the fish are to be a little challenging at my age, especially going against the current or wind.

The rudder mount fits perfectly, basically replacing the Hobie rudder wiht a stubby rudder and quick release system for mounting/removing the bixby jet unit itself. After adjusting the tightening screw a bit on the twist and stow rudder, it retracts and deploys nicely. The newly designed outboard battery is fairly light and fits under my vantage seat with one short extension cable. The jet has 3 speeds and reverse. I have not yet taken the kayak out yet, but I also bought the swim jet battery that attaches to the same jet unit, and I took that out in the ocean snorkeling.

The swim jet configuration has 3 speeds and is powerful on high speed. You need to hold on with two hands if you run on high speed very long. I got the bigger swim jet battery. I had a problem with the swim battery itself and Bixpy was extremely prompt and replaced the swim battery immediately at no cost to me, no shipping cost either.

The price of this system is low enough compared with the Hobie system, that you can buy an extra battery for the kayak and come out about even. One thing for sure, the bixpy system is much more flexible and versatile than what Hobie offers.

(duplicate post)
BigIslandFishing is offline   Reply With Quote