Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Yakin

Your Most Favored Fishing Trip

Lets hear it or see it!
whether it's from a kayak, boat, or land.
Tell us about your most favored fishing trip you have ever had.
It could be one huge fish or a lot of fish or just a great time out on the water.
Time to do some bragging or just bring back old memories!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Baja_Traveler

My most memorable trip of all time didn't have the biggest fish, or even the most fish.
I was working for Bob Stringari building boats in High School, and we went out on his boat to Catalina one summer. I brought my 8 weight fly rod, and I was standing up on the bow plank sight casting to and catching breezing bonito all day long. It was a blast.
Worked for bob on and off for years - every center console out there has one of my windshields on it...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
lancer269
Junior

Last year in august for sure. 2 hour quick kayak fishing session for seabass resulted in me catching 8 legal seabass with the biggest one around 30lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtXpdXOQ2-0

having my little bro not only catch his first seabass off a kayak but his limit as well was nice to see too. he had 3 legals.

this was his first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RkWc...hannel&list=UL

my buddy tony (trinidude) also had 3.

14 legal seabass between 3 of us. kept 9 legals. released the rest.

lancer269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Samcro

Hey Gus...I came across your video late last year and I have to say what convinced me to get a kayak was the part in the video where you pull up that big seabass with your leg and the schoolies as you put from the other side of the Kayak. Correct if I'm wrong, is this Palo verdes?
Samcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
lancer269
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcro View Post
Hey Gus...I came across your video late last year and I have to say what convinced me to get a kayak was the part in the video where you pull up that big seabass with your leg and the schoolies as you put from the other side of the Kayak. Correct if I'm wrong, is this Palo verdes?
im glad i inspired you. lol.

and yes, those fish were caught along the palos verdes kelp.

i love fishing that area, but its a hastle getting your kayak from the parking area down to torrance beach to launch. well, taking it down is the easy part, getting it back up is a pain in the ass.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Samcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer269 View Post
im glad i inspired you. lol.

and yes, those fish were caught along the palos verdes kelp.

i love fishing that area, but its a hastle getting your kayak from the parking area down to torrance beach to launch. well, taking it down is the easy part, getting it back up is a pain in the ass.
Where exactly do you launch from? Would it be from king harbor or is it a beach launch from north rocky point?
Samcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
lancer269
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcro View Post
Where exactly do you launch from? Would it be from king harbor or is it a beach launch from north rocky point?
its possible to launch from king harbor and paddle all the way across. it would be about a 2.5 mile paddle, give or take.

i park on top of the hill and walk the kayak down. when i said it was a hastle, i meant its a b*tch. but its worth it SOMETIMES.

i google mapped it on my phone to show u what a pain in the a$$ it is.

birds eye view

okay, now the fun part.
park where the yellow circles are at.
follow the trail.
keep following the trail. (its a long way down..longer way up. lol)
once you get to the beach/sand...get away from the rocks a bit and go when you are ready.

thats just something to give you an idea.
i wish it was like la jolla where u back your truck into the surf and unload.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

just glad I never have to carry fish up there!

Old 04-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
inbx3

Someone needs to invent a motorized 12v cart for that hill. Anyone out there smart enough to do it?
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbx3 View Post
Someone needs to invent a motorized 12v cart for that hill. Anyone out there smart enough to do it?
make a mini trailer for a tiny ass motorized bike to drive it up and down
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Enceladus

Favorite Fishing Story

I took my family to visit friends in Durango Colorado last spring. Many of the lakes were still inaccessible due to the snow, but my buddy took us to Haviland Lake with the warning, "I've never had any luck at Haviland." My six year old son had been practicing casting his spincast rod in our backyard before the trip and was raring to go.

When we got to the lake, I started to set up his rod with powerbait, but he insisted on trying a dark jig. In my infinite wisdom, I explained that that color jig would work best when it was overcast (blah blah blah), but he still insisted. So, I tie it on and tell him to walk down a little ways - I didn't want to get hooked.

His first cast was perfect and before I had a chance to set up my rig, he yells "I've got one!" Sure enough, he nailed a nice size rainbow trout! That little shit proceeded to catch his limit in about 10 minutes - I never even got my line in the water. Then he said, "Well Dad, I've got my limit. I'll let you catch some, now. You can use my lure if you want."

Someday I'll get a tandem so we can go kayak fishing together. It doesn't get any better than fishing with my son and he catches the biggest or most fish.
Enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
taggermike

Man, where to start? Bass fish with my dad in lake mead as a kid, kayak trips to baja catching grouper, wide open albacore. Some times the location and company makes the trip, other times it's one big memorable fish. I pulled a 30lb YT out of Piramid Cove on the surface iron. It will be forever in my mind like a video, saw the boils, grabbed the long rod and ran to the bow, made a good cast, and in that clear Clemente water watched that big YT charge the jig and just leave a bomb crater in the water behind the hit. Maybe I should stick with one story but I want to throw this in. One of the things I like most about ocean fishing is that there is always a chance of catching the unexpected. I worked at the WSB hatchery in Carlsbad and was eating my lunch out on the lagoon behind the hatchery. Threw out a live smelt and sat down to enjoy my PB&J. 10lb line, curado 100, a tiny circle hook, and some serious patience. 37lb. Glad I had a gaff. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mike's big 'but.jpg (85.1 KB, 576 views)
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote