Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Hunters Pa

Zippered Waders? - advice needed

So I have a couple Bass Pro giftcards I want to use. Looking for zippered breathable waders to stay dry on chilly trips. Did a search in the forums and did not find anything substantial, so looking for recommendations. I am 5'11 and about 150#. I already have neoprene waders for tubing so looking for thoughts on something to stay dry and layer underneath to add warmth when needed.

Not looking to break the bank, but willing to spend on something that will last.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
So I have a couple Bass Pro giftcards I want to use. Looking for zippered breathable waders to stay dry on chilly trips. Did a search in the forums and did not find anything substantial, so looking for recommendations. I am 5'11 and about 150#. I already have neoprene waders for tubing so looking for thoughts on something to stay dry and layer underneath to add warmth when needed.

Not looking to break the bank, but willing to spend on something that will last.
E-BAY all kinds cheep.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

I just bought regular waders and installed a zipper into the ones I bought. It saved me about $60.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
wbrewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I just bought regular waders and installed a zipper into the ones I bought. It saved me about $60.
did you post how you did it in the forum? I got the zippers and goop just need the directions.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewski View Post
did you post how you did it in the forum? I got the zippers and goop just need the directions.
I'll post up pics. It was pretty easy. Granted it may not be 100% water proof, but it gets the job done.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
ctfphoto

After going with breathable waders that got old and cold I just switched to High End Scuba Booties and a pair of snow boarder pants/bib. Together they cost less than my waders and are way warmer. I also use velcro straps to make a more water tight seal.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Hunters Pa

Thanks for the replies. I have scuba booties and splash pants. Looking to stay dry when I wade into the water and when I drop my feet over the sides to lower center of gravity
Old 12-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrewski View Post
E-BAY all kinds cheep.

Yep, looking for reviews from people that fish from a yak
Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
steveooo

I have these

http://www.hodgman.com/Hodgman®-Hic...efault,pd.html

Good quality, the zipper works great, and they get the job done. My only real complaint is that over time (and neglect), the saltwater will deteriorate the taped seams, and that is where they will leak first. I never wore extra shoes or booties over the neoprene feet, so I'm sure the walks to and from the car to the launch spots also contributed to their early demise. If you take care of them, they will last you a very long time.

My next purchase will be a nice pair of Kokatat paddling pants from Andy at OEX.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
rieffer

Can anyone give me some contact names or numbers to get zipper's for my waders? I couldn't find any plastic one's at the local fabric stores. There was a great posting a couple of weeks back on how to do the install, but not where to get the materials.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
landwhale

Shawn I have a pair of Hodgeman zippered waders I have been wearing for a year and have been very happy with them.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
philr21

I have the pair of breathable zippered from Cabelas. Love them, 2nd pair and no issues. Like them so much gave the non-zippered pair of same waders to a friend.

You can see me wearing in my report if you want to see what they look like. Makes a world of difference when the morning Monster drink decides it needs to evacuate.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote