Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #1
DiabloDan
Junior

Location: any body of water with fish in it and kayaks are allowed
Things to look at when buying a used yak

So, I've looked here and Craigslist, and seen some pretty decent deals. I'm looking at a Hobie Outback as my very first kayak.

But, when I see one in person, what are things I should look for as to good or bad about that particular kayak?

Also, what specific questions should I ask? And, what responses should be warning signs I am or not, getting a decent used kayak?

I plan to use on lakes and bays, and eventually promote to open ocean. Im doing my homework at this point. I hope to make the purchase in September or October.
DiabloDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
Dave Legacy

I've only purchased one kayak and it was used. One of the things that I looked for was how they had been storing the kayak when not in use. Any time I see an ad where the kayak is laying on the ground in the seller's side yard I take it as a red flag. Kayaks are pretty durable and for all I know where the yak is photographed is not where it's stored, but a lot of times you can just tell.

I kinda recall that Hobies beyond a certain age are more likely to have developed leaks around the drives, but I really don't know much about all that.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
DanaPT

I would research new kayaks to see how a correct kayak looks. A used kayak could be deformed due to storage, have cracks, or show exrtrodinary wear. You should know what's replaceable e.g. drive cables vs. Major problems like a leaking hull.

You could also insist that the seller meet you at a body of water for the inspection and trial run. Many sellers may balk as it would be a PIA, but only a seller confident in his kayak for sell would subject a test drive. On the water is where you'll find any major leak issues.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
skrilla

Great tips already said.

Look for the obvious. Deep scratches, deformed hull, cracks especially around scupper holes. Could also knock down price if there is excessive wear and tear on the handles, bunjees, fittings, or any hardware corrosion. Insist on a leak down test. Fill hull with water and sit tight. You'll see leaks appear if there are any. I wouldn't worry about ones above the waterline around fittings or handles unless the leaking is major and cant be remedied with a sealant.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I recommend shopping for an Outback that is relatively new. There are steady upgrades every year or two that are nice to have.

The trade-off is price. With each passing year, expect this to be reflected in the price. Newer kayaks are easier to resell.

The year of the kayak is the last two digits of the serial number inscribed by the back hatch.

Condition is important too. You don't want to buy things that have to be fixed ... not if that can be avoided.

UV takes it's toll. I would not buy a kayak that looks sun-faded. Find a kayak that has been stored inside, and from someone who takes care of their things.

The plastic is soft and can get shredded on rocks. Flip it over and inspect the hull carefully.

Appearance of low mileage and little use. There are many people who buy a kayak on an impulse, then never use it. There are also people who get excited with buy-itus and blow a lot of money that can not be recouped upon resale. Lucky you.

Turbo fins and a large rudder are important to me.

Smooth operation of the control strings.

Undamaged Mirage pedal assembly. Those are about $500 to replace.

It's nice to have stronger wheels over the cheaper ones that fall apart easily.

The more things you get with the kayak, the better. Everything is expensive to buy separately, but often is not reflected in a proportionately higher price when you get it as a package. Sell off what you don't want to offset the purchase price.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-01-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote